Calais to Croatia - as quickly as possible? (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M680SP
Exp
3 years, on our second MoHo :)
Hey everyone - this is my first post, but a long time lurker.

This will be our third year in a MoHo and we want to try and get to Croatia in the summer holidays. We've got a long wish list - Krk, Plitvice, Markaska, Dubrovnik etc. We have 21 nights between the ferries, and want to maximise as much time in Croatia as possible.

Anyone got any tips/experiences on getting to Croatia as quickly as possible?

We arrive in Calais at 11am, so I am thinking we just hit the road and try to do 7-8 hours, then the same next day (traffic dependent, obviously). I personally don't mind the long days driving - but the missus and kids (13 and 10) do.

Thank you!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

This will be our third year in a MoHo and we want to try and get to Croatia in the summer holidays. We've got a long wish list - Krk, Plitvice, Markaska, Dubrovnik etc. We have 21 nights between the ferries, and want to maximise as much time in Croatia as possible.

We arrive in Calais at 11am, so I am thinking we just hit the road and try to do 7-8 hours, then the same next day (traffic dependent, obviously). I personally don't mind the long days driving - but the missus and kids (13 and 10) do.

Thank you!

I’ve entered Croatia a few times via Trieste and have always got stuck in big traffic in Koper. I’m not sure it’s easily avoided, but I’d avoid weekends (wall-to-wall Germans) and other busy times. Plitvice is a must-see but do your research before going, it’s a real tourism hot spot. Search on here, there's been plenty of discussion in the past on campsite recommendations and tactics for avoiding the worst of the crowds.
Camperstop Cubis on the A2 in Slovenia is a convenient stopover, just off the motorway and walking distance to Aldi.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Germany is probably your fastest toll free route, down past Munich (wave as you pass Rosenheim) , Austria, Slovenia and beyond.....Camping Sobec near Bled is a popular stop over for those going that way.....
Bypass Slovenia and go through Italy to towards Trieste to avoid the Slovenian tolls, and no wild camping in Croatia...
Other Funsters will have done this route and will advise accordingly 😉.
Safe travels......

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Dubrovnik and back in 21 days is a heck of a lot of driving and not much holidaying.
I think toll roads on the most direct route will be your only option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
As a youngster I drove to Greece and back in fourteen days in a old MK1 Transit V4,
Didn’t have a problem and enjoyed the holiday, it’s doable but a lot of driving,

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We toured down to Croatia last Autumn in our PVC, but did it over 10 weeks. Avoided tolls and motorways and took our time through Germany, Austria, Slovenia on the way there.

Three weeks is pushing it. Even using toll roads and motorways that's a lot of driving in 3 weeks. Too much of a slog for me.

If I was time-poor and wanted a 2 week holiday in Croatia, I think I'd fly and rent Airbnb's rather than try and get the motorhome there and back in a week. In fact we actually did exactly that about 7 years ago. Flew into Split, 5 days there, then fast ferry down the Dalmatian coast to the island of Hvar for 5 days, then another fast ferry further down the coast again to Dubrovnik. Another 5 days there, and then flight out of Dubrovnik back to the UK.

Flights are dirt cheap compared to the costs of a channel crossing, diesel and tolls. Likewise, you might find Airbnb's to be comparable to campsites in Croatia in peak season when you can't use ACSI card rates. I believe that the popular beach resort campsites can be touching €100 per night in peak season. No wild camping allowed in Croatia either - although we managed a few crafty nights in Zadar, Sibenik and Murter.

If you could arrange to go off season it will be much quieter and far more enjoyable. Plitvice and Dubrovnik are pretty hellish in the peak weeks, especially when the tour groups and cruise ships are in.

Mar 19, 2020
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Newbie to MoHo, not to life!

Thank you!
We had 30 nights away in September 2022, 11 of which were in Croatia, furthest south was Dubrovnik. Our travel there and back was leisurely, we could probably have had another 9 nights in Croatia otherwise. Outbound was France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia to Croatia. Return was Split to Ancona by ferry, then Switzerland and France, mostly paying the tolls. Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Germany is probably your fastest toll free route, down past Munich (wave as you pass Rosenheim) , Austria, Slovenia and beyond.....Camping Sobec near Bled is a popular stop over for those going that way.....
Bypass Slovenia and go through Italy to towards Trieste to avoid the Slovenian tolls, and no wild camping in Croatia...
Other Funsters will have done this route and will advise accordingly 😉.
Safe travels......
+1, this route will be best bet.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Via Michelin - route planner
25hrs driving
€400 fuel
from Calais
Thinking of a similar trip next year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Sep 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M680SP
Exp
3 years, on our second MoHo :)
Thanks all for the feedback. I appreciate the advice on route (I was already thinking similar France - Belgium - Germany - Austria - Slovenia) and using tolls where available.

However, I think we are in two minds on whether we would be rushing around Croatia if we only have 2 weeks or so to explore in country.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks all for the feedback. I appreciate the advice on route (I was already thinking similar France - Belgium - Germany - Austria - Slovenia) and using tolls where available.

However, I think we are in two minds on whether we would be rushing around Croatia if we only have 2 weeks or so to explore in country.
If your heart is set on Croatia, and I see why, I always enjoy it, what about limiting it to the Istria peninsula.
There's lots to see and do and a lot less driving than going down to Dubrovnik.
Save that for when you have more time ?
Anyway in summer Dubrovnik is hellish, expensive and over crowded, much better to visit off season.
Having said that, I think most of Croatia is expensive in peak season but I guess you know that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back