Dorsetway

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Ducato Mondial Suntour
Exp
Hi all, newbie here for guidance please ?
We just bought a 2002 Ducato Mondial, it's a 2L petrol so it goes well except for steep hills. I am told "they are all like that" but I would like to know if there are any small things I can do to help the engine along ? I have already learned that filling the fuel tank and water tank and carrying water in the grey tank at the same time are no-nos, but any tips would be great...

My main question here is regarding the options for a C-channel strip on the top side of the van. Our van came with a Kampa 310 drive-away POD, but we were going to sell it and so bought a smaller type of pod instead. The new one came with the beading on the van connection flap and we also bought the Fig8 strips and Keder strip all ready for out first trip. When we went to put the pod up I realised that our van did not have a C channel strip on the side, it was just a J shaped gutter strip, which the previous owners would have used with a "pole" which fitted into the Kampa pod flap. I had convinced myself that the van had a C channel so I was really annoyed by my mistake !

We used the pod without attaching it to the van (gimmick really) but when I looked closer at the van - I noticed that there WAS a C channel on the underside of the side-door ? I have no idea why it has this in the lower position as it is of no use that I can see ? Is it that you can remove these strips and replace them on the side of the roof (seems unlikely?) I will probably have to go back to using the original "Pole" system with the Kampa pod, but I just wondered if anyone can enlighten me, or is there anyway I can convert the J gutter ? Cheers !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You can buy lengths of C chanel cheaply and fix to the van using self tappers or bond it using sikaflex

c channel below the door is used for a draught skirt

OP
OP
D

Dorsetway

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Ducato Mondial Suntour
Exp
You can buy lengths of C chanel cheaply and fix to the van using self tappers or bond it using sikaflex

c channel below the door is used for a draught skirt

Thanks for that.
I was wondering about screwing a c channel to the existing J-gutter but I assume it will be easier to fix one just under the J-gutter ? I must admit I don't like the idea of screwing into the van as this is always another opportunity for water to try and find a way in, so is the Sikaflex strong enough to hold a C channel (plus weight of awning all by itself ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I don't see the need to put a C section onto the J rail as I have previously put the figure of 8 on the awning then just clipped it onto the J rail. Once the awning is pegged down, it is a a good firm connection.

Cheers

Trevor

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I don't see the need to put a C section onto the J rail as I have previously put the figure of 8 on the awning then just clipped it onto the J rail. Once the awning is pegged down, it is a a good firm connection.

Cheers

Trevor

Yep I've done that also. The fig 8 won't go anywhere when pulled taught as Treeeev said.

This is on a Reimo rail on my camper, it also has a 'C' section but doing it like this raises it a bit. But you should get the idea.

barracudabus

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Yep I've done that also. The fig 8 won't go anywhere when pulled taught as Treeeev said.

This is on a Reimo rail on my camper, it also has a 'C' section but doing it like this raises it a bit. But you should get the idea.

A +1 for Infinity. We have exactly the same setup for our Bongo. The only exception is we've left the figure of 8 on the side of the van permanently, and just slide the awning through when putting up.

In 4 years it hasn't come of once even when the awning was attached in strong winds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back