Buying medicines over the counter in France, Spain and Portugal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by PenelopePitstop, Sep 19, 2007.

1. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,441
    We're hopefully off to the warmer climes of France, Spain and Portugal at the end of October and are trying to organise prescription medicines for 6 months.
    Our GP practice won't give more than 3 months prescriptions - any more and it will have to be a private prescription. A bit annoying when Rex has a Pre-Payment cert for 12 months!:Sad: Would it be cheaper to buy them abroad?

Has anyone any experience of buying the following medicines over the counter in any of these countries?

Verapamil Hydrochloride ( Univer 240mg)
    Doxazosin ( Cardura XL 8mg)
    Bend:xrofl:umethiazide 2.5mg
    Simvastatin 40mg

Would really appreciate some advice on this - I'm sure Rex isn't the only MHFunster with high blood pressure!!! :ROFLMAO:

All part of our steep learning curve!!!! :winky::winky:

Looking forward to your replies.

Marie :roflmto::roflmto:

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +9,936
    Its a pity you left the bag of medicines on the bus going home:Doh:,you will have to go back for another lot now:winky:
    Geo

3. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Ratings:
    +17
    :Cool: Although Sandy has the same 12 month prescription pre-paid and I don't have to pay, we as you say can only get 3 months as a time. Sandy suffers from high blood pressure and has taken HRT and other drugs besides. We have never had a problem buying drugs over the counter.
    However. If your Doctor (GP if you wish?) would give you a prescription? You could take it to a Doctor here in Spain and he would then prescribe them for you. :winky:

4. PenelopePitstop

Ratings:
    +1,441
    Good thinking Geo!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    There am I trying to do everything properly!! :Doh:

Thanks
    Marie

5. PenelopePitstop

Ratings:
    +1,441
    Thanks John that's very helpful.
    As you no doubt remember that first long trip abroad is full of ifs and buts to keep you awake at night ( at least that's what I tell Rex when I don't get up till 10am!!:ROFLMAO:)
    All part of the learning curve!! Just hope we don't fall off it!:Eeek:

Marie

6. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    When I was in France few weeks ago, I tried to buy antibiotics and ear drops over the counter. Good job the symptoms were not life threatening..... I wasn't able to buy anything without going to a French hospital to see a doctor, apparently.

7. vanessa

vanessa Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    No help for this time, but how about stock-piling ahead of your next trip? I'm sure doctors don't keep THAT close a check on how much you order, for most drugs at any rate.

8. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Ratings:
    +17
    :Cool: To put it in the correct vernacular? It's the Trials and Tribulations. :ROFLMAO: