EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I may have to buy a "new" motorhome sometime, but with my budget it will be an old motorhome, I am looking at under 20,000€. Does anyone have experience or advice on this, please? Any makes that last well, or any that don't? For example, I like the construction of Hymers, but on that budget it would sure widen the search if I wasn't just limited to Hymer, unfortunately.

Bit is it worth looking for, say a Hymer that is some years older than I might be. Able to buy in another make?

Is the coach work more or less important than the vehicle? For example, is age more important than mileage?

Any thoughts welcome, especially those that don't involve a time machine to save more money when younger, or avoid two divorces.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Excuse me, I did find a similar thread recently

I take the point about damp, and I understand that Hymer use materials less susceptible? One of my reasons for liking them, since a previous can did get dry rot and was basically scrap.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
Our first motorhome was a McLouis and we bought it as complete novices. We thought it was an English make and were surprised to find that its Italian. It was very well built with no problems at all and I'd happily consider another one now. Well worth a look.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would think Layout and condition is more important than make on a older van
Plenty of older vans around that are not damp etc. Don't get fixated on Hymer, on this budget most Hymers are tired inside,where you could get a good bit newer different make.
You need to check everything works on anything you buy as it can soon mount up on costs.
Examples
New 3way fridge £500 up
Hot water boiler £450 up
Heater £350 up
Combi boiler £1200 up
Cooker £400 up
Don't buy anything damp so invest £15 on a damp meter and check all around window/ roof light's,bottom of walls etc.Dont take anyone's word about damp,including dealer's. look for yourself

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our first motorhome was a McLouis and we bought it as complete novices. We thought it was an English make and were surprised to find that its Italian. It was very well built with no problems at all and I'd happily consider another one now. Well worth a look.
I was shocked when I looked under a friends McLouis, Jagged bits of metal, exposed pipes, and generally a messy conversion.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I may have to buy a "new" motorhome sometime, but with my budget it will be an old motorhome, I am looking at under 20,000€. Does anyone have experience or advice on this, please? Any makes that last well, or any that don't? For example, I like the construction of Hymers, but on that budget it would sure widen the search if I wasn't just limited to Hymer, unfortunately.

Bit is it worth looking for, say a Hymer that is some years older than I might be. Able to buy in another make?

Is the coach work more or less important than the vehicle? For example, is age more important than mileage?

Any thoughts welcome, especially those that don't involve a time machine to save more money when younger, or avoid two divorces.
IMO Main thing is layout, then construction then mechanicals. Your budget would stretch to an older Arto, Better construction than similar hymers but have a good look at the dg cab windows for misting and the shower tray for cracking. Whatever you look at make sure you drive it and make sure you can live with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
I was shocked when I looked under a friends McLouis, Jagged bits of metal, exposed pipes, and generally a messy conversion.
we had one in for mot last year and we were also appalled at the conversion with jagged metal where they had cut bits off with oxy acetelene, think it must have originally been a van platform rather than a chassis cab
what looked like middle sill strengthening sections were just wired to the chassis channel,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
So possibly a good idea to save a reasonable amount off the budget, so that I can take a certain amount of follow-up expenses, rather than spend the budget and hope all is well?

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So possibly a good idea to save a reasonable amount off the budget, so that I can take a certain amount of follow-up expenses, rather than spend the budget and hope all is well?
I would say check thoroughly and if you re not sure get someone who knows to look at it and buy the best you can for the money you have.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
IMO Main thing is layout, then construction then mechanicals. Your budget would stretch to an older Arto, Better construction than similar hymers but have a good look at the dg cab windows for misting and the shower tray for cracking. Whatever you look at make sure you drive it and make sure you can live with it.
I believe that pre 2000 Arto are ply interior walls Jon so more care needed with damp checks than later ones, but agree that old N+B well worth looking at.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Noted, but N+B motorhomes seem to be heavy, I will be limited to 3500kg.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
we had one in for mot last year and we were also appalled at the conversion with jagged metal where they had cut bits off with oxy acetelene, think it must have originally been a van platform rather than a chassis cab
what looked like middle sill strengthening sections were just wired to the chassis channel,
Wow - standards must have changed and I didn't have any evidence of this workmanship in our 2004 one that I can recall

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
It is possible to get a not so old Hymer for that money. We bought a 2002 Hymer S630 for £20K but it depends on expectations really. The running gear side of things was spot on, only 45K miles on the clock which is barely run in for a Mercedes, but the interior was tired/some things broken and missing. We knew it needed some work doing internally but if you've got a little time, DIY skills then it shouldn't cost much more to get it how you want it. Can't really comment on other brands as this is our first but knowing that damp wasn't an issue and running gear was fine it felt like a safe bet compared to other makes which are more susceptible to rotten panels etc

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our current Kon-Tiki is now 26yrs old & is as fresh as a daisy.
I dislike the mechanical side of the vehicle, but that's just personal choice.

I think that the golden rule is that an old van must be DRY, preferably never had leaks as the damage behind panels can be well hidden.
Buy a decent damp meter & its always better to see a van on a soaking wet day, but the fun to be had tinkering with an elderly motorhome is superb.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We travelled a 100+miles to look at one, and were very disappointed. On paper the layout worked almost perfectly for us, till we got there and saw that the 1200mm garage door shallowed out to a 1.0mt headroom under the bed. Some doors wouldn't shut, others wouldn't stay shut, this was on a £55k new motor home, the salesman might still be awaiting my call back !!
Mike.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I bought a 1999 AutoCruise, knowing it would need work but liked their old method of a monocoque roof that had no roof seals to worry about degrading and leaking. So held back £2,500 of my "budget" to recitify what i would find later. Sure enough new suspension front end (couldn't tell on first drive, then tried hitting pot holes after i got it and boy was there a loud bang as shock was completely empty), one new roof light (£65 fitted myself) , one reseal shower roof vent, Tyres, Fridge components (gas failing to light due to poor switch, wire and 12v feed) and a DIY rectification of the dodgy old immobilser (Only cost pennies for cables but hours to get info and be brave enough to bypass it), and most expensive - NEW water heater (Propex Malaga) to replace leaking old Carver unit. Sounds a lot but I knew most of the faults before I purchased and was competant enough to do most myself or already had spoken to somone local that could assist (good MOT centre and good MCEA local engineer for gas items). Net result, I bought well below market value and have now updated most of what I need for modern MH life incvluduing extra power sockets, solar panels etc...

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Friends of ours have recently (back in the summer) brought an Autosleeper apart from the paintwork fading a little its a lovely piece of kit. I was surprised how roomy they are.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
It is possible to get a not so old Hymer for that money. We bought a 2002 Hymer S630 for £20K but it depends on expectations really. The running gear side of things was spot on, only 45K miles on the clock which is barely run in for a Mercedes, but the interior was tired/some things broken and missing...
That's reassuring, I personally don't mind if the interior is, can we say, even shabby, worn, with broken items even. Not if that gets a sound vehicle inside a low budget.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
That's reassuring, I personally don't mind if the interior is, can we say, even shabby, worn, with broken items even. Not if that gets a sound vehicle inside a low budget.
Yep! I think people were put off the one we bought because the bathroom sink was broken, kitchen tap was broken, some blinds needed adjusting etc it just looked tired. Granted I've made a few upgrades too but its certainly not cost a lot to fix and I see it more as a long term project.

I think we were lucky but if you're not in a rush something will come along 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
My current one was like that when I bought it a few years ago, when I was living in a house and working away on contract. I looked at what I was paying in hotels, and decided it wouldn't take long for a motorhome to pay for itself. Bit it was just a tool, not a proud possession.

For example the washbasin was cracked at the front and sealed with mastic. I figured that I was prepared to slap a bit of fresh mastic on it every few months if I had to; in fact it lasted 4 years before I had to apply a fresh dab.

As for taps, I have had to replace the kitchen tap once, and replace the kitchen and bathroom tap spouts more times than I remember.

And the blinds? So they need 2 hands to fold the concertina straight when opening them. I checked the price of new blinds and decided I can just do that.

So yes, I can live with "lived in".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
BTW I will buy in France, does anyone have experience of French makes? I like some of the Chausson layouts and the are less expensive than Hymer here. Not to mention that I could go to Germany and buy a Hymer, importing would be simple (as far as bureaucracy ever is in France) and avoid duty because it would be intra-EU.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
BTW I will buy in France, does anyone have experience of French makes? I like some of the Chausson layouts and the are less expensive than Hymer here. Not to mention that I could go to Germany and buy a Hymer, importing would be simple (as far as bureaucracy ever is in France) and avoid duty because it would be intra-EU.
Worth having a look at Rapido. Very happy with ours,2006 786F.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back