Burstner Damp Warranty? (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi

Had my Burstner MOTed, serviced and habitation check done about 4 weeks ago, literally a week before we moved house.

Sailed through most things BUT the one that has me worried, and I have only just got around to trying to sort because I managed to hurt myself during the move, is 40% damp registered in a very small area of the garage at the back on the nearside.

It is a Ixeo Time Sovereign 745 2016 model and I am second owner, I am guessing Burstner would not cover anything like this?

Just wondered on thoughts from tis group before trying to find a decent dealer in my new location!

Robin

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Sorry are you from Burstner or is this a cut and paste information?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Well I only purchased it last tyear, a week or so before we locked down, it had a habitation check from the seller but I guess that won't count!

I have to hope my insurance will cover it. :-(

Robin

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Take it to a dealer before you start worrying about insurance. The sale of goods act should apply here and should cover you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I only purchased it last tyear, a week or so before we locked down, it had a habitation check from the seller but I guess that won't count!

I have to hope my insurance will cover it. :-(

Robin
Has it had the annual damp check by a Burstner dealer? If it has it shouldn't be a problem, if not they won't be interested.
Also the water ingress warranty will be either 5 or 6 years you need to check (10 year was only from 2019 models).
You may have some recourse with the selling dealer if you bought it less than a year ago.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I have a 2019 IEXO 736 I was told about the 10 years warranty when I bought it new I have cut and pasted that link from the Burstner website. To keep the warranty up the annual damp check must be carried out within the timeframe set by Burstner.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Sorry to say I dont think your insurance will cover things like damp, take it up with the dealer in the first instance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have a 2019 IEXO 736 I was told about the 10 years warranty when I bought it new I have cut and pasted that link from the Burstner website. To keep the warranty up the annual damp check must be carried out within the timeframe set by Burstner.
OP van is 2016 the 10 year warranty is only from 2019 as I said eairler.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Double check as warranty can when transferring to second owners be reduced by some companies ! This was the case for my adria. Ask your dealer if from a dealership

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Unfortunately I purchased through a broker, although the van was checked over by a dealer and damp checked, with no problems found.

MB&G have asked for more details and said they will consider a claim, so I am crossing everything.

Now need to find a dealer near me with a good solid reputation!

Robin

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Camper U.K. have good reviews for Burstner damp work
No idea if it’s close to you

Lincoln,​

LN2 4LB​

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Many thanks for the suggestion but looks like a 320 mile round trip!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Firstly can you see anything obvious wrong in the area, garage door seal damaged, door not closing properly, does it need adjusting and tightening?

is it coming from a window leak/roof above and running down the inside wall and into that area?

is the underfloor solid below that area(Road spray), mudflaps fitted?

Does it let water in when it’s raining, can you get inside and see daylight with the door closed, get someone to pour water over the area whilst you are sat inside.

It could be something cheap and obvious.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I wish it was that simple!

There is only one door to the garage and the damp is on the far side, rear wall, as far from the door as you can possibly get!

The rear wall has no windows/openings.

I cannot see anything unless it is coming in through the light cluster.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Okay, climbed into back of garage and did notice that this was all in the area were the damp readings happened.

No idea what it is, I assumed it was just poor finishing in a difficult part of the garage to access!

Robin

Attachments

• Garage Damp small.jpg
    Garage Damp small.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 224

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you checked the wall and floor with a damp meter?
I was wondering if something may have been spilt there and algi has grown on it.

If it is damp that has been getting in it will be guite a lot of work to sort it out properly.

Last edited:

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
You need to check your service history. If the previous owner(s) had annual damp checks and you have the history you should be able to rely on that when discussing the problem with any Burstner dealer. If they used Burstner dealer for checks it should be recorded on their computer system, which any Burstner dealer can access even if you dont have receipts. If they didnt or they had it done privately you may have problems.

Even though it might be a 320 mile round trip, I would strongly advise speaking to Camper UK about the issue they really are a good dealer and have a very good relationship with the manufacturer. Not that other dealers aren't and don't but they are extremely helpful and won't try fobbing you off. But if they say you dont have a leg to stand on then you don't. Alternatively if they say you should be covered, you could then decide whether to take the van to them or to take the matter up with a closer dealer to you.

good luck

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Okay, climbed into back of garage and did notice that this was all in the area were the damp readings happened.

No idea what it is, I assumed it was just poor finishing in a difficult part of the garage to access!

Robin
Not sure if that is fungus growing, or somebody doing a bodge job with expanding foam. Either way is worrying. I think it will have the same 6 year damp penetration warranty as Hymer. But it will depend upon the yearly damp check having been done and registered on the Burstner system. Easiest way may be to ask a Burstner dealer as they can all see the Burstner system I think.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
It does look like expanding foam.

:-(

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Under the carpet looks absolutely fine to me!

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 63

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you pulled off or cut a bit of it to make sure it is foam.
If it is foam is it a possibility that the previous owner glued that bottom rail on with it. Clutching at straws as if they had you would have thought they would have trimmed it.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Not sure if that is fungus growing, or somebody doing a bodge job with expanding foam. Either way is worrying. I think it will have the same 6 year damp penetration warranty as Hymer. But it will depend upon the yearly damp check having been done and registered on the Burstner system. Easiest way may be to ask a Burstner dealer as they can all see the Burstner system I think.
If it is fungus, it looks like dry rot spores. Is there a mushroom smell? We had a double attack of dry rot in our flat dining room caused by water ingress from a leaking cast iron roof gutter. ÂŁ13,500 + ÂŁ1,500 bills for ceiling removal, removal of 4 oak lintels and 1/2 of dining room floor. The dry rot spores are like a spider's web mixed with pasta, and spread like the proverbial wildfire.

Steve

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
It is rock hard and looks like expanding foam to me, no real smell of any kind, unless I suddenly have covid! :-(

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Trim it of neatly and plastic bag it. If it doesn't grow back it's probably expanding foam, but why it's been put there, and whether that's the reason for the leak is another matter. Is it the first time have noticed this?
Mike

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Oh crap

Finally got my Burstner into a service centre.

Got a phone call this morning, evidently the bonding between the floor and back wall has failed.

Estimate is 40-60 hours of repairs plus new rear wall and other bits and bobs.

How on earth does this happen in a van only just 5 years old!

I could cry!!!!!!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Good luck with the repair.
I hope it Is just the inside wall that needs replacing, otherwise you could be in for a long wait to get the van back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back