Bumped head! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Not being used to the van, both swmbo and I have head butted the Luton pull out bit! Ouchy! So just bought A 50p pipe insolator

IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1226.JPG

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Same trick works for us!!

Have cut a small in-fill piece of pipe insulation that fits neatly on the near side, and then the 1-metre length comes all the way over on the offside, so looks 'almost' standard fit. It just clips on easily on ours.

It does take some getting used to the lower headroom to access the cab in our panel van conversion after having a coachbuilt.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Ha ... Love it !

I've got a small LED striplight at that location and head butted it the first time I was away in the van. It hurt, but more importantly, it could have damaged the light, so I vowed I would never do that again.

I'm usually very good at 'learning from experience' and the following night, I head butted it again :confused: :whistle:

Because the striplight is the lowest point, a foam pad wouldn't have the same effect and I instinctively duck now :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It does take some getting used to the lower headroom to access the cab in our panel van conversion after having a coachbuilt.
We found that too ... when we got our first PVC in 2012 I can't remember how many times we tried to knock ourselves out on it ... we stopped doing that eventually but in our current PVC we keep head butting the locker above our bed instead which isn't that high as we sleep the 'wrong way round' (ie heads where our feet should go) so it's lower than it would normally be ... still hitting it even after 2 years ... I fear we won't ever learn!:doh:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We found that too ... when we got our first PVC in 2012 I can't remember how many times we tried to knock ourselves out on it ... we stopped doing that eventually but in our current PVC we keep head butting the locker above our bed instead which isn't that high as we sleep the 'wrong way round' (ie heads where our feet should go) so it's lower than it would normally be ... still hitting it even after 2 years ... I fear we won't ever learn!:doh:
So annoying isn't it! :frowny:

It took us a fair while to get used to the lower access to the cab, but I think we've just about got used to it. However, it's reassuring to have the foam padding instead of a solid wooden board, and sometimes I can just feel my hair (what's left of it) just brush the foam... and thinks 'ooh, that was close'. :whew:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Below is our bed layout, you are supposed to sleep with head on the right next to the window (you can see that the lights) ... daft design as you squish the blind with your pillows and can't sit up easily or comfortably as the blind surround digs in plus we like to look at the view out of the window in a morning whilst having our cuppa which we can't do if it's behind us! We therefore sleep with our heads on the left side (I've moved the lights) and it looks like quite a big bit of space underneath the locker but once the mattress topper is in place and pillows there's not much of a gap to 'slot' our heads into!

I have toyed with the idea of either getting a window put on the left side but this would still leave the window surround/squished blind problem, or alternatively alter the large locker to make it shorter ... neither are an ideal way round it though and could be costly. One other option is to get a full mattress to replace the segmented one as that at least would negate the need for the topper ... I intend to look into this to see what different it would make, even a couple of inches would make it more 'comfortable' for sitting up.

bed1.jpg

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I tend to bang head on mirrors when I wash the wheels, not once but 2 or 3 times in succession.
Then the same on the other front wheel, put the mirrors in you say, oh yes, good idea, BANG!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Below is our bed layout, you are supposed to sleep with head on the right next to the window (you can see that the lights) ... daft design as you squish the blind with your pillows and can't sit up easily or comfortably as the blind surround digs in plus we like to look at the view out of the window in a morning whilst having our cuppa which we can't do if it's behind us! We therefore sleep with our heads on the left side (I've moved the lights) and it looks like quite a big bit of space underneath the locker but once the mattress topper is in place and pillows there's not much of a gap to 'slot' our heads into!

I have toyed with the idea of either getting a window put on the left side but this would still leave the window surround/squished blind problem, or alternatively alter the large locker to make it shorter ... neither are an ideal way round it though and could be costly. One other option is to get a full mattress to replace the segmented one as that at least would negate the need for the topper ... I intend to look into this to see what different it would make, even a couple of inches would make it more 'comfortable' for sitting up.

View attachment 164449
Daft design indeed ! I was having a similar problem with my pillow squishing the window blind, but it was a far smaller window than yours, so I don't know how much help, if any, my solution would be for you.

I used a piece of Perspex, which rests on top of the rear door release and a couple of small, self adhesive Velcro pads to retain the top. It's discrete enough to leave in place, stops the blind getting damaged, allows me a view out of the window when needed and I can still easily open and close the blind.

image.jpeg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I used the non-bump-head lagging on my steps to the bed in my last van. They used to really hurt my feet. I know I'm a woos.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Daft design indeed ! I was having a similar problem with my pillow squishing the window blind, but it was a far smaller window than yours, so I don't know how much help, if any, my solution would be for you.

I used a piece of Perspex, which rests on top of the rear door release and a couple of small, self adhesive Velcro pads to retain the top. It's discrete enough to leave in place, stops the blind getting damaged, allows me a view out of the window when needed and I can still easily open and close the blind.
We did try that on the rear doors and side window (recommended by Ludo) to prevent the dogs damaging the blinds when on the bed and also to stop us hitting them with the duvet etc (they don't half make a noise when you do in the middle of the night!), but we found it a bit of a faff when we wanted to open/close the blinds/windows especially since our dogs like to stick their noses out of the windows ... can't keep the 'little darlings' off the bed in a morning as they sulk and don't let us have a lie in, or evening when hubby goes to bed before me ... I have to 'evict' the little monsters to get in bed myself!

In the end we abandoned the perspex and I made some pads for the rear door windows (like internal cab blinds) which can be easily put on/taken off and as they are slightly larger than the window they fit snugly and stay in place, they add some insulation too which is good as I feel the cold and also keep the heat out when its hot in a morning plus when our dog Lily 'insists' on looking out of the door window near me (no other window will do!) I can just pull up the bottom for her to peek through. For the window which is now at the foot of the bed I got hold of a clothes airer, which I've mounted on Velcro at present but will either adapting it to make it fit a bit better as it's a bit big, or make my own version now I've proved that it 'works' as it does the job brilliantly ... it stops the blinds getting squished but still allows them to be put up/down and the window opened ... it also has the advantage that the dogs can't fall out!

bed grid 3.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hymer gives/sells you a bit of plywood to block the hole,