BT Hot spots conection

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wildbill, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:30 PM.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    ok folks might be a stupid question but if you are connected to someone's BTWifie-with FON can they se you are connected and do you get full speed
    or are you restricted
    bill

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
  3. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +9,436

No can't be seen.
    Its not part of their "allowance" so you will get what ever the speed is on that line.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TinaL

TinaL Funster

Ratings:
    +4,945
    Might need password to get onto it, if they have set their security access codes up correctly you would need to know it.
    Les
    PS: where have you decided to go in the van over Xmas? as I know Normandy is off due to your hospital appontment. Good luck hope all goes well, the cameras are a lot smaller thesedays thank God!
    Les

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    its the BT HOT SPOT les were just staying at home lost another tooth today just dropped out
    but got full head of hare no teeth lol
    bill

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    Their network has priority so if they are streaming your speed will be quite slow.
    Also your speed will be quite slow as you will be some distance from the router you are connecting to. Wireless connection speeds drop off fast as the distance increases.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    At the moment am probably closer than they are I am next door and there rooter in on the other side of the wall trying out my new BT connection through hot spot will go on my own in a bit
    bill

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    Thing is if connected can they see you are connected to ther hub it will be handy when away from home
    bill

9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    No they can't see.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,074
    Generally no, the owner of the hotspot cannot see who is connected nor can they see what you are viewing. HOWEVER!!!!
    This because most hotspots are operated by owners who do not understand the tech involved. It IS possible to snoop on the connection and it IS possible to see what the user is viewing (with some restrictions).

My advice;
    Assume that any hotspot is operated by someone suspect. Use a VPN if using a hotspot you don't trust OR do nothing that requires a password or passes information you do not want in someone elses hands. If this is not possible use your phone or MiFi to access the internet. This is not perfectly secure but for most intents and purposes absolutely safe.

I never use WiFi for banking unless it is a trusted hotspot.

On the speed front, I can't answer with absolute conviction but I do believe that your data rate is restricted to prevent you impacting the owners connection. I would presume there is some variability so that if the owner is not using it you get a faster connection. By this I mean the hotspots owners data will get priority and if they are using heavily your use would be impacted.

These are just my opinions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +8,075
    When I lost my 'phone line one evening I logged on to my neighbour's Hot Spot, it's known as FON isn't it?
    Contacted BT on chat and reported the fault. Engineer nearby the next morning so fixed my fault as he was around!
    If you are not on unlimited Broadband your use on a Hot spot comes off your allowance !

12. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    thanks bud never know who's connection I will be on when away it will manly be for brushing and surfing the net bit of you tub for jay but I don't do internet banking
    and anything i buy will be on my phone wouldn't mind someone hacking my bank account they might feal sorry for me and deposit sum money
    bill

13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    unlimited
    bill

14. rod_vw

rod_vw Funster

Ratings:
    +169
    I've used BT FON for some time now when away from home. Within the UK you can log in with your normal BT account user name and password which may be different to that set-up when your broadband was installed I find that when abroad I need to use my BT email address name and password.

I guess the above may not make sense so let me put it like this. I changed my BT account contact email name and password to match my normal email account which is with a different ISP. This one works with FON when in the UK but outside the UK accessing other carriers FON application needs my @btinternet email address and the password set-up with it when I took up BT broadband.

Many folks say that they cannot get access to European FON carriers but I have always found that if I can translate the operator's front-page I find a link that gives access to a sign-in page for FON users. The following page is useful if you have problems https://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/

You may have guessed that I have an 'iboost' from Motorhome wifi which does give a reasonable extension of the reception distance but is very dependent on the lack of obstacles between the access point (router) and your location. Due to my own stupidity I managed to 'default' the set-up of the iboost last year but Adam at Motorhome wifi was kind enough to re-load his software on it for me for minimum cost.

Rod

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +1,289
    I use BT hotspots/fon a lot, with Solwise kit (similar to Motorhome wifi). Usually get 2 or 3 mbps download but sometimes as high as 10 mbps.

16. TinaL

TinaL Funster

Ratings:
    +4,945
    Put it under your pillow tonight Bill, I dont believe in Santa, but the tooth fairy never lets me down:)
    Les
    PS have a great Xmas, we might be up in Ayrshire if all goes OK.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    Let us know and we will met up if you pass this way
    bill

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,003
    BT WiFi with fon requires you to log in with either a BT or fon password.

As a BT broadband customer a small portion of your bandwidth is reserved for public use via the WiFi of fon service.
    It doesn't cost you, the customer, anything and in return for that little bit of bandwidth you get to connect to BT WiFi anywhere in the world with a BT WiFi service free of extra charge.... Allegedly, but you try to find a BT WiFi signal outside UK.

You, as the broadband customer, don't even know its happening.

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,652
    It does if you haven't got an unlimited broadband account. BT say Fon doesn't get logged on your account but it does they have no way of separating the data. A friend found out when he kept getting bills for going over his allowances. I did a few tests and confirmed any connection to his Fon was being recorded on his data usage.
    He had a hell of a fight with BT to get his money back.

20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +25,703
    I
    I am OK unlimited
    Bill