Brussels come out against bikes yet again (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Published on 29 October 2019 by Mike Waters

Filed under Category:

A study on banning motorcycles and scooters in the city of Brussels to reduce emissions has prompted widespread criticism by motoring groups.

Brussels Environment, the official agency tasked with managing environmental and energy-related matters within the region of the Belgian capital, has announced that it will study emissions by Powered Two-Wheelers throughout next year before it comes to a decision on whether to ban motorcycles and scooters within the local low emissions zone.

Motoring groups have objected strongly to the announcement, and the Belgian Federation of Automobile and Cycle Industries (FEBIAC) deemed it “pure provocation”. Others, however, were baffled by the move and La Dernière Heure noted that motorcycles were responsible for just 6% of carbon dioxide emissions and 0.2% of nitrogen emissions in the city.

Commenting, Chairman of FEBIAC Phillipe Dehennin told Het Laatste Nieuws: “This kind of reasoning is simplistic because it targets a minority of the road users and because it has been proven that daily traffic jams could be reduced with 40% if only 10% of drivers would choose a motorcycle instead of a car. We invite the Region to look at mobility in a different way instead of announcing a ban.”

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Great thinking that. So much easier to park a hundred cars than a hundred bikes..........not!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I’m baffled about the supposed logic behind this, in that I don’t think there is any/much. Stinks of politicians personal dislike for certain modes of transportation. Bizarre IMHO given the inherent benefits of powered 2 wheeled vehicles when it comes to emissions, mpg, traffic volumes, parking etc etc... :oops:

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Brussels is a region with its own government. In Belgium all governments are coalitions because of the proportional representation system in parliaments. The Greens are generally willing to be part of any coalition provided they get their pound of flesh in the form of pretty radical measures to ban this or stop that. They have made it extraordinarily difficult to have 4G in Brussels, for example. They have demanded and obtained a law that makes it legal for bicycles to go both ways in streets that are one-way for other transports, creating life-threatening situations. They are rapidly getting most cars banned from the city, creating misery for hundreds of thousands of working people. They have mandated some redesigns of streets, crossing, and avenue to reduce their traffic capacity. And it goes on and on and on. And because of the proportional system, they cannot be voted out. They are in all governments even if they only get 6 or 10% of the vote because they allow parties who are close to majority to form a majority government.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Brussels is a region with its own government. .................They have demanded and obtained a law that makes it legal for bicycles to go both ways in streets that are one-way for other transports, creating life-threatening situations. ............
Rubbish
Cambridge has had that law for for years and it works very well. Motorists take more care and look out for cyclists.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Rubbish
Cambridge has had that law for for years and it works very well. Motorists take more care and look out for cyclists.
I think Stephene was just displaying a typical Mercedes drivers view of cyclists! ;) If they'd got their Hymer on a Fiat they would have welcomed such enlightened transport infrastructure that allows cyclists to use one way streets.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I wonder if there's still a lot of stinky two stroke 'peds running around Brussels ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder if there's still a lot of stinky two stroke 'peds running around Brussels ?
My thinking too rather than being anti motorbikes it could just be anti emissions. They need to look at the average journey length and emissions per person I bet bikes come out better than cars not least because of less time stationary. Of course it could be they are trying to get people off motorbikes and onto electric bikes for short journeys which would have to be a good thing.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
When I was in Laos I was breathing in and literally coughing up two stroke oil in the towns.......so there is a point, with 2 strokes anyway.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Rubbish

I think Stephene was just displaying a typical Mercedes drivers view of cyclists! ;) If they'd got their Hymer on a Fiat they would have welcomed such enlightened transport infrastructure that allows cyclists to use one way streets.

As you wish, it is not my brain that risks being splashed on a windshield.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
My thinking too rather than being anti motorbikes it could just be anti emissions. They need to look at the average journey length and emissions per person I bet bikes come out better than cars not least because of less time stationary. Of course it could be they are trying to get people off motorbikes and onto electric bikes for short journeys which would have to be a good thing.
I don’t know Brussels well, but it seems they have very good public transport systems and my guess is they want to restrict all vehicles to reduce emissions to make the the town centre a more pleasant, pedestrian friendly and cleaner environment.
A good thing, in my view.
Seems like they are doing things the right way round, provide a good public transport system then start reducing vehicle usage within that area till only necessary vehicles are being used.

As you wish, it is not my brain that risks being splashed on a windshield.

Nor mine, nor the tens of thousands of cyclists who pedal safely around Cambridge every year.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Belgium is a great place to look at what happens , when you have multiple coaliltions .. off road motor sport has been decimated by the Green Party , who hold the balance of power in most areas, and use that to steam roller through stuff that would never see light of day any other way . Absolutely ridiculous.

I had to laugh when Ian Hislop said that we had effectively backed ourselves in a position where we are Governed by the DUP... so we are in the same boat .

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, now in the South part of the country it is even forbidden to walk in the forests outside of the paths.

Public land used to be free to walk for anybody, not anymore!

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I don’t know Brussels well, but it seems they have very good public transport systems

True. It is remarkably good. That a government feels the need to forbid the use of cars and motorbikes even when there is good public transport should tell you something about the adequacy of public transport to the needs of large parts of the working population.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
True. It is remarkably good. That a government feels the need to forbid the use of cars and motorbikes even when there is good public transport should tell you something about the adequacy of public transport to the needs of large parts of the working population.
I have driven through Brussels and Antwerp at least 10 times this year , and traffic in both rivals the Dartford Crossing... my aim is always to get through whichever I am going through straight off the ferry, even when we don't land till 1am.. on a Friday , they are both gridlocked. If they encouraged bikes and scooters and places to store them , securely , a lot of traffic would be gone.

As much as I love Belgium, it really is a pain in the arse . I had my barbecue condemned by the Belgian fire service as it didn't have a Belgian standard on the pipe, they cut the regulator off it while I was using it . Same with my fire Extinguisher, didn't comply because it was a UK one. You just have to smile and put up with it .

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I’m baffled about the supposed logic behind this, in that I don’t think there is any/much. Stinks of politicians personal dislike for certain modes of transportation. Bizarre IMHO given the inherent benefits of powered 2 wheeled vehicles when it comes to emissions, mpg, traffic volumes, parking etc etc... :oops:
And of course the noise they have to make.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I would think the fact that they have a good public transport system would negate or at least reduce the need for private vehicles to enter the city.
It’s all about reducing emissions in town centres so people who live and work there can breathe clean air.

I used to work in a London before they brought in the LEZ. I have asthma and always suffered with the pollution.

Last year, I drove into London and stopped at Abbey Wood campsite, within the LEZ
I had no problems with my breathing.
I am all for reducing emissions and if that means banning vehicles, however many wheels they have, I am for it.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I would think the fact that they have a good public transport system would negate or at least reduce the need for private vehicles to enter the city.

That all depends on your occupation and the planning of your day. It also depends not only on the availability of public transports in the destination city (Brussels) but also on how your living area is deserved.

Finally what you say might work for a large part of the people who live in Brussels, but the vast majority of the people who work in Brussels don't live there. They come from all over the country and for them, relying on public transport will most often double or triple their time of travel, even with the traffic congestion at peak hours.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Surely, a person traveling on a motorbike would produce less emissions than the person traveling In a car??
I want to know,who was the eejiot who decided to reduce power to vacuum cleaners? Was there ever a more stupid law????
Bet it was a man ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back