Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks david:)
I'm trying to download todays Grand prix and wondered why it was taking so long:confused:
thank god we should have Fibre here sometime around christmas, I may have this downloaded by then, ........maybe:p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
don't fall for the BT claims about fibre optic speeds, ours has improved but still under 20 mega thingies per wat not

but compared to your speed tonight my apologies for 'bragging' (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No fibre super fast and no plans to install it in our exchange. Even if they did, we have 4 miles of old copper cable...... Not so much broadband as not very wideband....

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I have just realised that, suddenly, ADSL is now available to our house.

According to the bumf I have just looked at we are 4947 metres from the exchange and we have twin copper of 0.4mm (think that should be mm2). The information then goes on to indicate that we could achieve a theoretical 1.097Mb/s download and 581kb/s upload. I get better than this via my Huawei wifi key. I think I won't bother to change.
J

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look on here..you may well be getting much better quite soon

Was at a meeting with the bt bosses for Wales last friday which our local mp arranged. After all the frustration was got out of the way by the assembled locals, BT got to explain what it is all about...working in the industry on similar projects in other parts of the UK( but not for BT) it was quite enlightening.

Had a chance to have a proper conflab with the programme director at the end who gave me a run down on what we are likely to get at our house...which is about 10km from the exchange over the border in herefordshire.
We're very rural here, nearest hamlet is 2 miles Way, nearset village is 2.5miles and nearest town is 10miles, so not an easy location to put new cable to!!

But....were going to be getting fibre to the house in the next 6months!! Unbelievable..minimum speeds of 24mb (2mb at present) but as we will be fibered all the way to the exchange...quite possibly be up in the 70mb region or higher...if the splicing is really good:)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Just checked ours :active: at 05:20 (so no high usage) and it is 1.1 Mb/s.:crying:
Fibre coming next week :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our speed is a misely .76 Mbps. We are 7km from the exchange and there are no plans by BT to get fibre anywhere near us at the moment. My 3G ( when I can find a signal) is quicker.
You asked about satellite Billy. We currently pay about £8 a month. Is satellite cheaper?
Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just found an ad for satellite. £35 a month. Not bad really for up to 20mbps but don't know if that includes any set up costs.
I'm waiting to get my iboost wifi booster, I'll see if I can grab a faster bt wifi connection close by!

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Satellite broadband is now more affordable and you can take it on the move as it uses the same satellite that sky does

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
At home in darkest rural Wales we get 7.2mb download and .298 upload, our sure signal box takes about 1.5mb off the download but it's adequate even when I'm home and online competing with Mrs BB and her posh iPad (doing a 24/7 clothes search).Here at work in rural Hampshire we have 1.2mb download and also a satellite link which gives about 11mb but is very, very expensive (in excess of £60 a month) and is adversely affected by even the least bit of 'weather'. During the recent spate of electrical storms we had nothing on it. For some unknown reason (to me Mr IT numbnut) the default server is in Spain. Another reason I do my banking on snail-fast BT.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I'm not in the middle of nowhere here:cool:, I should be able to get a decent speed where I am, I know fibre is coming and I'll be bloody glad when it does:clap: but in the meantime it looks like I'll be trying another company:call: probly out of the frying pan and into the fire anyway:banghead:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'm not in the middle of nowhere here:cool:, I should be able to get a decent speed where I am, I know fibre is coming and I'll be bloody glad when it does:clap: but in the meantime it looks like I'll be trying another company:call: probly out of the frying pan and into the fire anyway:banghead:
We're having fibre installed Weds - allegedly. Oh took a call from Plusnet the other week who said it was in our area so he agreed. But when I've been out and about I've noticed the green box thingys have all had stickers on saying fibre is here, in this area.

None round here though so could be interesting:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back