Brittany ferry to spain (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It must be a lousy deal as it seems that folk are desperate to give 'em away.

EDIT: ........................ ;)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
If on the GALICIA take plenty to do i found it tedious. There is a bar and pretty much thats it. Wasnt fit to sit on sun deck so all in all very boring. Returning on Cap Finistere which looks much better.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It must a lousy deal as it seems that folk are desperate to give 'em away.
I believe it’s the £10 credit that you get if someone users your code, if you are prepared to give it out to every Tom Dick and Harry then your yearly subscription of £120 is paid for. If there are any Toms , Dicks or Harry’s on here who would like a code then pm me.😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Would like to book Ferry for sept not sure what time of month is the cheapest for a 7.3 motorhome.
Normal route we take is drive through France, some say it costs the same?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have code if anyone else wants one, or any advice on BF as I am a bit of a Ferry Nerd.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
We had to change bookings from France to Spain at short notice late july crossing Portsmouth Santander and Bilbao Portsmouth return with cabins for two people 7.2 m moho so it becomes 8m.
Wait for it £1700 plus even with funster discount. So dont think it’s cheaper than driving through France its a mith. Plus on board for 36 hours so money being spent as you bounce around in the bay ot biscay. It was ok and meant we had a holiday in the sun but wont be our choice of travel in the future.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I have code if anyone else wants one, or any advice on BF as I am a bit of a Ferry Nerd.

Be careful how you advertise. You could loose your membership.
The following is taken from Brittany ferries website.

Friends and family discounts are designed to be used by those close to you as an added value benefit of membership. Promoting or advertising this membership benefit via websites, internet forums and elsewhere is strictly prohibited, and considered a breach of your membership. Friends and family discounts are limited to 15 per membership.

Aug 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
It seems the France route is a better option, I guess the ony downside is the problems re covid that seem to change weekly.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Be careful how you advertise. You could loose your membership.
The following is taken from Brittany ferries website.

Friends and family discounts are designed to be used by those close to you as an added value benefit of membership. Promoting or advertising this membership benefit via websites, internet forums and elsewhere is strictly prohibited, and considered a breach of your membership. Friends and family discounts are limited to 15 per membership.
Hi, Yes, I am aware. Thank you.

Deleted User
We had to change bookings from France to Spain at short notice late july crossing Portsmouth Santander and Bilbao Portsmouth return with cabins for two people 7.2 m moho so it becomes 8m.
Wait for it £1700 plus even with funster discount. So dont think it’s cheaper than driving through France its a mith. Plus on board for 36 hours so money being spent as you bounce around in the bay ot biscay. It was ok and meant we had a holiday in the sun but wont be our choice of travel in the future.
From reading your previous posts I believe that you travelled in July and August, the height of the holiday season.
I realise that this is not a normal year but the ferry prices remain high on all operaters at this time of year.
Probably half of your figure at quieter times of year.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It seems the France route is a better option, I guess the ony downside is the problems re covid that seem to change weekly.
You could say that but the Plymouth-Roscoff route was already over £700 for the school hols.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Probably correct but wife works in a school so no choice. The ferry Dover to Calais doesn’t increase drastically because they have competition. Unfortunately for us BF have the monopoly on those routes.
I have just checked the prices for our October booking. We have paid £465 one-way for a car with Commodore cabin, Portsmouth-Spain A 2 berth inside comes out around £365. That is with CDV Discount. I also take the full flexi option. But other discounts are available if you are not club members..

If you compare that price per nautical mile with Stena Line, Harwhich to hook of holland, DFDS Newcastle-Amsterdam or P&O Hull-Rotterdam. My thoughts are that its pretty reasonable.

Portsmouth - Santander = 532 Nautical Miles
Hull - Rotterdam = 205 Nautical Miles

I Calculate that roughly

BF - £0.87 per mile
P&O £2. 23 per mile

I have also just looked at Dover - Calais with DFDS. That works out at £128 fully flexi (£6.55 per N Mile) or £3.77 per N mile at non Flexi £68

Of course, there are lots of different options that would make crossings cheaper. Inside cabins, booking earlier, club discounts and so-on.

As I understand it, the Dover-Calais route is one of thee most expensive ferry routes in the world if you compare the distances.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have just checked the prices for our October booking. We have paid £465 one-way for a car with Commodore cabin, Portsmouth-Spain A 2 berth inside comes out around £365. That is with CDV Discount. But other discounts are available if you are not club members..

If you compare that price per nautical mile with Stena Line, Harwhich to hook of holland, DFDS Newcastle-Amsterdam or P&O Hull-Rotterdam. My thoughts are that its pretty reasonable.

As I understand it, the Dover-Calais route is one of thee most expensive ferry routes in the world if you compare the distances.
Here is the cost of a crossing from Hull-Rotterdam

I have applied the same Full Flexi terms that I booked with BF

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 09.47.28.png

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Better option for some. Sometimes a better option for orhers.

Trek down to Dover from the North, arrive in France, trek through France. Expensive french tolls (class 3 in our motorhome (but only class 1 in Spain)).

Time constraints, bad weather (not that it’s ever bothered or affected us).

But if going by car to Spain, that we do a couple of times a year. That’s 4-6 hotel stops too on a return journey.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We have always done the Portsmouth to Caen route. Not spent more raglan 6 days in France even when “touring”. Booked for January using the Portsmouth to Santander not anything to do with cost or convenience purely to save few days now we have this ****** rule re 90 days.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Here is the cost of a crossing from Hull-Rotterdam

I have applied the same Full Flexi terms that I booked with BF

View attachment 525737
Thought that was a night ferry,,if so why bother with a window cabin? Just a thought. Expensive crossing. BUSBY.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thought that was a night ferry,,if so why bother with a window cabin? Just a thought. Expensive crossing. BUSBY.
Hi Busby

Yes, it is. I just created the quote as near as I could to our BF fare for comparison.

You could also take the Galicia ferry and that includes meals, though a little more expensive.

Here is another one instead.

P&O = 77p per N mile
BF = 45p per N mile

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 10.19.27.png
Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 10.23.17.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread