Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have booked the ferry to Spain next year for the Spring break. We have been with BF before in this van quite a few times so should not have any problems booking.

But we did, not a major problem but a little one.

Fiat reckon our 6.35mtr van is actually 6.87mtrs long so when we booked our van in the 6.5mtrs max we received the email below.

ps: After a phone call to BF they changed the length to 7.00mtrs and at no extra cost the crossing was sorted.

We received this email from BF.

"We'd like to let you know that the size of the vehicle you booked differs to the manufacturer's specifications. The information comes via a database linked directly to manufacturer specifications for each vehicle brand and model. This has identified the dimensions of your vehicle to be greater than you declared when booking.

To ensure space on board is guaranteed we will automatically update your vehicle dimensions and any additional costs will be added to the balance due for your booking. If that balance has already been collected, please contact us before you leave, on 0330 159 7000 to settle any outstanding amount and to prevent any delays or barriers to your embarkation.

It's really important we provide our crews and port teams with accurate vehicle dimensions; this helps to keep delays at the port to an absolute minimum and load our ships more efficiently.

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon and thank you for your understanding."

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
And sometimes they get the tape measure out, had that done twice even though we were booked in at up to 10 metres, and are only 9.3 long!

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I'm backwards and forwards on BF several times a year, the Augusta is 7.43mtrs my towbar bike rack is only 55cm so I used to book 8mtrs but I was told regardless of the fact I was less than 8mtrs OA I had to add the rack. So nowadays I book 8 mtrs plus a bike rack, never had an issue until this last 18 months and Ive been measured half a dozen times, at Portsmouth.

So I suspect that they are either more tighly packed than before or they discovered many MH's have been trimming their vital statistics???

However I guess it's only fair that people are charged as they should be?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had a similar conversation with BF yesterday. Our van is 7.5m so I have to book up to 8m. When I mentioned that I may have a bike rack on they added £10.50. I pointed out that the van is 7.5m and with the bike rack it would still be less than 8m. They agreed and removed the £10.50 charge.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We are just short of 9 mtrs but always book 9 mtrs + bike rack. The bike rack is folded up. Have never got charged for bike rack and never had any problems. (y)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We are just short of 9 mtrs but always book 9 mtrs + bike rack. The bike rack is folded up. Have never got charged for bike rack and never had any problems. (y)

I think you will find the added cost for the rack is there just not shown.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
According to Fiat technical specs for Ducato vans the longest PV is 6363mm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back