Breathalyser.............in France?????? (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I once came storming over the honflure bridge only to spot the police at the last moment....I was sure I was going to be done for speeding only to be pleasently surprised to be breathalised :giggle:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I always smile at the fertile imagination of those who tout the idea that a policier or gendarme would ask you to use your own breathalyser to test yourself.....:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

When the law came out, they were on sale here at €2 for a pair at just about every supermarket check-out (compared to the £5.99 rip-off from UK suppliers). I haven't seen them in the shops for at least 3 or 4 years now....:giggler:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I always smile at the fertile imagination of those who tout the idea that a policier or gendarme would ask you to use your own breathalyser to test yourself.....:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

When the law came out, they were on sale here at €2 for a pair at just about every supermarket check-out (compared to the £5.99 rip-off from UK suppliers). I haven't seen them in the shops for at least 3 or 4 years now....:giggler:
Quite right.

Any tests would be carried out using the Gendarmes “Official” test kit. However, the law, when it was in force, still required you to carry your own. If you couldn’t show you had complied you were (theoretically) in contravention of the law.

Therefore, the posts to which you refer had legitimacy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Quite right.
Any tests would be carried out using the Gendarmes “Official” test kit. However, the law, when it was in force, still required you to carry your own. If you couldn’t show you had complied you were (theoretically) in contravention of the law.
Therefore, the posts to which you refer had legitimacy.

Sorry, I'd have to take issue with your view that the posts have legitimacy. I'd still say they are imaginative. The law only required that the motorist was in possession of a device, no obligation to use it was ever defined.

In the UK, any statement I made regarding subjecting a motorist to a breath test included words to the effect that 'I required him/her to provide a specimen of breath using an approved device'. I may have been questioned in Court about whether the Alcotest tubes were in date or when the Lion device had been calibrated etc., otherwise any subsequent arrest may have been deemed unlawful.

Somehow, I don't think demanding the motorist supply me with a device from his glovebox would have cut the mustard..... :smiley:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Pete5996
Sorry!

I’m not sure what you saying in your post.

I didn’t say anyone had to use their own breathalyser kit, only that they were required to carry them. The Gendarmes would use their “official” test kit. Your own copy of my quote shows that.

Comments regarding what would be required in the UK are irrelevant.

Therefore, the posts do have legitimacy.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Pete5996
Sorry!
I’m not sure what you saying in your post.

I refer you to posts #24, #26 and#28 in this thread - one of which is yours ;)

I've also seen the scenario posed here and elsewhere in the past. I'm sure no-one would really believe that you were required to carry a test kit for use by any bobby who stops you........ or do they?:unsure:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Anyone wants to know for sure? Coming from the French side?
Ok let's go!
At the time the law was on (which is NOT the case now!) you had to carry 2 sets. One showing you had made a test if necessary , having had some alcohol before driving, and one spare one..... just in case the first one wasn't good, or in case you had had more alcohol in the meantime (lunch on an service aire for example) In any case, only the gendarmes's kit would test you, and give proof whether you could drive or not. Of course each time you had used one kit, you had to replace it ASAP.

You don't need anything now. Some gendarmes might recommend to have one, just for your own good. I must say that I never felt concerned by the law as I never drink during the day, and never drive at night time after a meal with friends. I've carried only one set at the time, nothing now. I've been tested recently. Special new kit: you count up to ten in front of the stuff they present in front of your mouth.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I refer you to posts #24, #26 and#28 in this thread - one of which is yours ;)

I've also seen the scenario posed here and elsewhere in the past. I'm sure no-one would really believe that you were required to carry a test kit for use by any bobby who stops you........ or do they?:unsure:
O.k.

Perhaps my post #26 could be read in conjunction with #24, although that wasn’t my intention, or my post. I think we both understand that the law used to require 2 to be carried for your own use.

The final word should go to yodeli in post #37. She has her own contacts within the Gendarmes .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
According to the BBC, loads are trying.
And if they had Breat
I have crossed the channel many times without a ferry, tunnel anyone?
In the same way you cant cross a bridge by going under it, you cant cross the channel by going under it either

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
And if they had Breat

In the same way you cant cross a bridge by going under it, you cant cross the channel by going under it either
Over, under, I still crossed it and arrived in France

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back