Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Green Flag would be my first choice for breakdown cover but it appears they only provide their "MAYDAY" cover for members of the Caravan & Motorhome Club. Some years ago when I was a tugger they only covered members of the Caravan Club which at te time I belonged to so no problem. I am currently with The Camping & Caravanning Club so Green Flag aside who would you recommend? I tried an insurance company on a comparison site which accepted my motorhomes details ie Registration, Make and Model (the model defines its 6.4mts) and they offered me cover for as little as £24 but of course this sort of quote as I suspected was too good to be true. Buried in the small print I found the policy does not cover anything over 2.5 ton or exceeding 5mt in length, needles to say the comparison site got a shit letter from me.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Have a look at the nationwide flex plus bank account. It charges a fee of £12 per month which gives you European breakdown/recovery for any motor vehicle upto 7.5 t. You also get travel insurance and phone breakage insurance.

Now all I do is pay the £12 my DD each month and i get the cover. I do not use the account for any other purpose.
I have yet to find breakdown cover for Europe for a 4.5 t van for £150 per year.

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks PJGWiltshire I may be interested in EU travel next year so will keep your suggestion in mind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I am with Green flag Mayday.
Would it not possibly be worth changing back to (or in addition to) Caravan Club or what ever they call themselves now.
The no size/weight limits and specialized recovery Mayday provide is well worth the cost.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Another way to cover for breakdown is looking at different vehicle insurance deals. Caravan Guard, NFU (Chichester) and Comfort all offer inclusive or discounted cover when taking out vehicle insurance. So it maybe paying a little more on vehicle insurance then works out cheaper if the breakdown cover is included.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another way to cover for breakdown is looking at different vehicle insurance deals. Caravan Guard, NFU (Chichester) and Comfort all offer inclusive or discounted cover when taking out vehicle insurance. So it maybe paying a little more on vehicle insurance then works out cheaper if the breakdown cover is included.

We've always had Uk and European breakdown and recovery as part of our insurance with Safeguard. Saves a lot of hassle and appears cheaper than buying separately.

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Nationwide flex account is not open to new members. We will soon be looking for breakdown for 18 year old van which seems to be a problem. Does anyone know if Mayday cover would apply to older vehicles or have any other ideas?

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Green Flag would be my first choice for breakdown cover but it appears they only provide their "MAYDAY" cover for members of the Caravan & Motorhome Club. Some years ago when I was a tugger they only covered members of the Caravan Club which at te time I belonged to so no problem. I am currently with The Camping & Caravanning Club so Green Flag aside who would you recommend? I tried an insurance company on a comparison site which accepted my motorhomes details ie Registration, Make and Model (the model defines its 6.4mts) and they offered me cover for as little as £24 but of course this sort of quote as I suspected was too good to be true. Buried in the small print I found the policy does not cover anything over 2.5 ton or exceeding 5mt in length, needles to say the comparison site got a shit letter from me.
We just pay for a standard Green flag breakdown policy, never used them in the UK yet but they were very good to us when we broke down in Portugal last year.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
R.A.C. Arrival through the C&CC, with personal cover you are covered in any vehicle that you are physically in when it breaks down.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As you are with C&CC you can join their Arrivals in conjunction with RAC .....same as Mayday, no limits ....If you lapse your CCC membership it does not cover you as it is run by CCC./RAC You & named family members are covered in any vehicle/ passenger or driver
It's a bit confused as it's all run via RAC but you have to have the CCC membership 😀 which (from what I found out) pays RAC 😉yet you pay RAC
If you lapse CCC you only get roadside assistance.
I asked about 5 years ago with a month to run on CCC membership and they said we were covered no problems. I asked them for email to confirm but a couple of days later I was told all the above 😁

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
We just pay for a standard Green flag breakdown policy, never used them in the UK yet but they were very good to us when we broke down in Portugal last year.
Are you saying you can get standard Green Flag cover without being a club member?

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Nationwide flex account is not open to new members. We will soon be looking for breakdown for 18 year old van which seems to be a problem. Does anyone know if Mayday cover would apply to older vehicles or have any other ideas?

Where does the information about Nationwide flex plus not taking new members come from?
Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp

With comfort its an extra £65 when you renew your insurance with them if you add it later there is a £20 amendment fee

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
R.A.C. Arrival through the C&CC, with personal cover you are covered in any vehicle that you are physically in when it breaks down.
I've just renewed C&CC / RAC Arrival cover.

I take the option of European breakdown. It includes single overseas trips of up to 350 days.

And if you get stuck in mud or sand in the UK, they'll recover you.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What about Britannia rescue owned by LV= 😊

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I looked at the price of Britannia Rescue full UK and European Cover. Being a member of Boundless (CSMA) provides a hefty discount making the price very competitive and the cover is excellent.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Are you saying you can get standard Green Flag cover without being a club member?
Think standard Green flag is what any Tom Dick Harry can get BUT you have to be Caravan Club member to get Green flag MAYDAY cover which is the caravan/moho specific cover.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
just be 100% certain your breakdown cover actually covers the length of your motorhome, i've struggled and still can't get breakdown cover for my 8.8mtr tag axel without paying astronomical prices, 5000kgs, no problem, 8.8mtrs, err no thanks :crying1:

Nationwide certainly doesn't and neither does Brittania through LV as thats who i'm with

Al

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Nationwide certainly doesn't and neither does Brittania through LV as thats who i'm with
I’m with Brittania through LV= and they cover ours at 7.5 m👍
This is what they don’t cover.
Motorhomes over 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Green Flag, Mayday, through CMC on our 20 year old Autotrail Chieftain. 4.5 tonne, tag axle, full personal cover for both of us whatever vehicle we are in even as a passenger £137.00

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
just be 100% certain your breakdown cover actually covers the length of your motorhome, i've struggled and still can't get breakdown cover for my 8.8mtr tag axel without paying astronomical prices, 5000kgs, no problem, 8.8mtrs, err no thanks :crying1:

Al
Mayday says NO weight limit AND No length limit. Ok you have to be Caravan Club member....BUT...come on what do you want???
To have your xxx ton and xxx length vehicle recovered like any man with a Nissan Micra. Don't think so.....
For gods sake .. get real..
Splash the cash and get piece of mind.o_O

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your interesting replies, I've just paid £60 for UK cover only with "CALL ASSIST" no mention of restrictions on weight or length. I've scrutinised the small print and the paperwork looks legit but I have this funny feeling someone is going to tell me something I don't want to hear. Next year I will change clubs and go wit Green Flag

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Yes, we have Euro plus so one of the most expensive but with our break down last year.......hotel for a week, hire car and because of some problems they even compensated us for having to eat out. Must of cost them many times what we pay for cover.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for all your interesting replies, I've just paid £60 for UK cover only with "CALL ASSIST" no mention of restrictions on weight or length. I've scrutinised the small print and the paperwork looks legit but I have this funny feeling someone is going to tell me something I don't want to hear. Next year I will change clubs and go wit Green Flag
I would ask if the MH is covered , and ask for it in writing.
No good finding out in your hour of need .... don't just believe what is said on phone!!!!!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
As far as I can see Nationwide Flex Pus is still open to new customers
It offers good value, unless your Van is over 8metres, and you are over 70 I think?

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I had inclusive breakdown cover with a classic car policy and had occasion to use it.
The person answering my call was not blessed with anything like intelligible English and had no idea at all of basic geography. Couldn't even grasp the fact that I was out in a rural environment and had no roadside landmarks to help direct a breakdown crew and couldn't get a grip of a compass direction from an A road intersection that was 300yds from me.
Doesn't give one much confidence.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
It offers good value, unless your Van is over 8metres, and you are over 70 I think?

I think the over 70 only applies to Travel insurance, and that is available but at extra cost.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
So discrimination on size and age, let's start a protest movement !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back