Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
When I booked my Peugeot Based Motorhome in for its service I was told that both Citroen & Peugeot recommend that the brake fluid should be changed at this time.
This is its two year or 20,000 mile sevice (it was registered in November 2006) and has done 7000 miles. I would have thought that if they both recommend brake fluid change at this time then it should be part of the service. Are they trying it on or do you think that the fluid should be changed?. Comments eagerly awaited.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes the brake fluid should be changed. Two years sounds a bit short but then it is a safety critical item. Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the atmosphere and this moisture settles to the lowest point in the system, usually the brake caliper cylinders. Under prolonged braking, such as descending a long steep hill, the brake fluid gets heated up and it can easily reach temperatures exceeding 100 degrees C. The water content boils and turns to steam which is compressible and gives rise to a spongy pedal. Keep going long enough and you'll end up with no brake pedal and no stopping power.

Replacing the brake fluid is not a part of a standard service. I check the brake fluids moisture content with a tester during servicing, both base vehicle and hab inspections, and reccomend the fluid should be changed if the moisture content exceeds 3%.

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
replacing brake fluid is recommended as it's hydoscopic meaning it absorbs water which will allow it to boil and become inefficiant.

the recommended interval will be in the maintanance schedule book.

if your service milage/time interval recommends changing it then it should be included in the service.

if you have the service book then have a look at the service you are having done....it should list the items to be checked, adjusted or replaced. dont forget some items apply to time interval and not just milage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
geofliz

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Thanks Pappajohn I have checked the service book and it states that the service I am having (two year) the brake fluid should be checked and topped up, however
elswhere in the book it has a page of Additional operations where it says
"Brake Fluid: to be replaced every 36,000/40,000 miles or every two years."
So that answers the question I had not seen this in the book however, I still think that if that is the case then it should be listed in the service schedule and not an add on. :thanks2:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I still think that if that is the case then it should be listed in the service schedule and not an add on. :thanks2:

couldnt agree more.....it should be included.

i do all my own servicing on my car, bike, M/H and pickup so what garages do is a mystery to me.:RollEyes:

seems strange that the service schedule says check and topup at two years yet the extra bit says replace at two years. :Doh:

whats even more annoying is you are changing expensive oil and filter that is perfectly good for thousands more miles.

i changed the oil and filter on my pickup at 10,000mls (recommended) but it was 3 years old by this milage.

could be the time factor again

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back