booking sites vs the weather! (1 Viewer)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
as thread title, how does everyone else in the uk, who uses sites to stay on, book?

ie, do you book in advance and take the weather as it comes........:eek:

or........

keep an eye on the weather and try and book nearer the time, eg 10 day forecast.....:unsure:

wouldnt usually bother us much, but with the furry monster in tow, its no fun for him, and 3 wet beings in the van isnt great.:rolleyes:

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We never book anything and we also have a furry friend with us so we do keep an eye on the forecast. When we have had enough of driving for the day, out comes the CC&C sites book and we head for the nearest, reasonably-priced CS. If we don't like the look of it, we carry on to the next one. If it's getting a bit late and the next one is some way off, we will sometimes phone ahead. No need to panic though as, if all else fails, we'll find a nice-looking pub and ask to overnight in the car park. (You may even feel obliged to patronise the establishment to the tune of a few drinks or a meal - such a hardship!) To us, the beauty and freedom of motorhoming is having everything you need for several days on board so you can stop and stay at will. Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Unless it's for work, I tend to wait until the last minute nowadays. I use C&CC club sites a lot, and don't want to throw away the deposit due to bad weather or whatever (usually work calls).

The C&CC of course don't like this last minute booking, which is why their special offers on grass pitches, mid-week bookings, etc. usually have to be booked 21 days ahead :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We rarely book anything beforehand but got caught out last September when we chose to head to Norfolk last minute because the weather was looking favourable that way, all fully booked :(

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You will hear folk on here say, "There's no such thing as bad weather - just inadequate clothing!"
Personally (and speaking as a softy southerner) there's nothing worse than peering out over a soggy campsite and having rain pouring down your neck. Then there's trying to dry stuff out, ready for the next deluge! Worse if you add a dog to the mix.

Yep, use the long-range forecasts or the TV but remember, these are what they say; forecasts. The sun can be cracking the flags 20 miles up the road!

Weather generally prevails from the west in the UK. So, if there's a big lump of low pressure over eddivanbitz, the likelihood is that it will track westerly. Generally (though not always) weather is better in south east UK. Always exceptions of course!

At the end of the day, having regard to weather Intel' it's a go/no-go decision. Can always shorten the trip if it's too grim.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The only time we normally book is when we are meeting with friends and need to ensure that we have space for all of us. Hence, we don't normally book. However, if we are camping on our own and would like to stay in a specific area, I'll ask the campsite to reserve a pitch but on the understanding that we will not turn up if it is pouring with rain or forecasted to rain for the majority of our stay. If they refuse to do that, I'll go elsewhere. Most have done this for us without issue.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Unless it's for work, I tend to wait until the last minute nowadays. I use C&CC club sites a lot, and don't want to throw away the deposit due to bad weather or whatever (usually work calls).

The C&CC of course don't like this last minute booking, which is why their special offers on grass pitches, mid-week bookings, etc. usually have to be booked 21 days ahead :(
I think you'll find that using the CSs rather than the Club Sites will do away with the need to book - and be a lot cheaper.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I think you'll find that using the CSs rather than the Club Sites will do away with the need to book - and be a lot cheaper.

For a single person, I find that CSs are rarely cheaper than club sites. They usually assume 2+ persons per pitch and don't often discount for solos. Especially the CSs that have full facilities, which I prefer since I have a campervan and can't always set up the utility tent.

You're right about not needing to book though.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In the UK we don't normally book in advance, apart from possibly 'on the day'.

And don't get me started on the subject of so-called long range weather forecasts!

How often have you ever known the conditions advised 10 days forward on the BBC, to be anything but the exact opposite by the time the day arrives - doh! ;)

That's the way I treat the forecast, in any case... (y)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I always book for the summer hols, can't book the weather so I'm told :)

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
For a single person, I find that CSs are rarely cheaper than club sites. They usually assume 2+ persons per pitch and don't often discount for solos. Especially the CSs that have full facilities, which I prefer since I have a campervan and can't always set up the utility tent.

You're right about not needing to book though.
You may well be right about the prices charged by CSs with full facilities and I can see why you need to use such sites. We have everything on board so can go for the very basic, and cheapest, ones.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
"There's no such thing as bad weather - just inadequate clothing!" Unfortunately that IS the case in Scotland, so on the strength of the BBC forecast for a sunny next weekend a few days ago , it now looks like I shall mostly be camping in rain :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back