Blocked grey water tank (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Hi everyone!

Our grey water tank is blocked. Went to empty it this morning and nothing came out. Just a slight trickle. Fill the sink up and it keeps trickling.

I don't know if it's a blockage, or could the release valve not be working?

I don't know how I would go about checking the valve.

Have put two bottles of drain unblocked through it to no avail...

Any help appreciated

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I have used a long thin flexible pipe and pushed into waste tank from outflow end and sure enough there was a ball of slime/gunk just enough to block the tap outlet. Be careful with choice of cleaning rod as you don't want to tear holes where the pipes bend etc.... If you feel a resistance where the valve/tap is then you have found a faulty valve etc...

OP
OP
lukebolger
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
I have used a long thin flexible pipe and pushed into waste tank from outflow end and sure enough there was a ball of slime/gunk just enough to block the tap outlet. Be careful with choice of cleaning rod as you don't want to tear holes where the pipes bend etc.... If you feel a resistance where the valve/tap is then you have found a faulty valve etc...
Thanks man. On my Laika there's a lot of guttering, about ten foot worth before it goes to the tank, I shall see if I can remove it!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Quite possible that the outlet from the tank into the drain pipe has bunged up. My PVC grey tank is underneath the van with a corrugated 22mm hose type thing suspended from the bottom side edge of the tank running out to a drain cock on the side of the van. I can often find only a trickle of water out of the drain cock, yet know the tank is full, and even pulling off the drain cock itself (it is simply push fit) makes no difference.

I suspect the mounting into my tank isn't that cleanly finished and over time the gunk in the tank snags and builds up leading to blockage. Once blocked it is too late for drain cleaner type stuff that never reaches.

I now carry a drain cleaning coil brush thing I can poke up from the drain cock end.

Try to avoid getting too much fatty waste into the drain system and I periodically tip a little tank cleaning solution down the wastes when driving off from somewhere so it can slosh around and hopefully release some deposits.

Jan 25, 2018
Leicester, England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
If youve put drain unblocker in be carefull when you realease the contents it will probably be highly corrosive

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
My experience, unless you are quick and agile you will be covered in gunk. My waste tank was blocked at it's outlet and removing the outlet pipe from the tank made no difference. Judicial probing with a screwdriver gave a little flow and then the floodgates opened, tried to roll out of the way but not as quick as I used to be. šŸ«£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back