Black forest (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Hi has anyone done a Black forest tour? Thinking of this for next August, so lots of time to plan and change our minds.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Driven through many times. Nothing is lodged in my mind as spectacular.

Spectacular bits to me:

Fussen and Ludwig's Castles. Garmisch Partenkirchen. Heidelberg. Moselle. Rhein. Rhein falls.

We've not managed Hitler's Eagles' Nest yet. The mountains on the Austrian border are a delight.

The route Fussen/Reschen/Stelvio is a joy. The Hills Are Alive without the screeching singer.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nothing is lodged in my mind as spectacular..

Just remembered, our first trip to find the real Black Forest Gateau was long ago when we used Eurocamp. We had a week in Bad Liebenzell. To this day I remember walking into a park. Every tree was numbered. We walked into a bar and every glass on the shelves was numbered. An insight into German mentality, before EU.

We never did find BFG. That came much later on the Moselle and was well worth the wait. Believe it or not I have a framed picture of a slice on the wall, it's that good and nothing at all like we get in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We recently spent three weeks in the area, ten days on Belchenblick site at Staufen where they gave us a free transport ticket for rail and bus in the area, the site just fifteen minutes walk in to Staufen a pretty small town with transport links.
The lake at Titesee , Stein am Rhein, Heidelberg castle and Rhein Falls at Shaffhausen well worth a visit and the beautiful perfectly manicured landscape off the main routes.
Impressed by Germany, not expensive, beer cheap, no litter good roads and the people very friendly. (y)
BTW ate Black Forest Gateau at a restaurant beside Lake Constance, delicious :tounge:

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
These places are what I have come up with up to now, in no particular order.
Baden-Baden
Tittisee
Triberg
Freiburg
Bad Krozingen
Strasburg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
These places are what I have come up with up to now, in no particular order.
Baden-Baden
Tittisee
Triberg
Freiburg
Bad Krozingen
Strasburg

We drove through Freiburg more than once, do you know who the four statues beside the main route through represent ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It depends what your interests are. There is endless walking as we discovered on our recent visit but one tree does generally look like the next as do the clock making factories.

But for a gentle and relaxing place to visit it takes some beating. We probably preferred it to the Rhine and Mosel which we found too crowded for us and far too many motorhomes - still worth seeing but we won't be rushing back. :)

OP
OP
Tinker2
Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
We like a slower pace of life, villages not large Cities, cycling, walking, our favourite places to date are Quedlingburg, Ladenburg, Rothenburg,Bernkastel-Kues is nice but very touristy, the same with Heidelberg. We have done the romantic road the Hertz more than once, and lots of other places just fancying the mountains and forest. I am open to other ideas.

Reactions: DBK
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
No please enlighten me.

Four tall statues at the side of route 31 close to an underpass and dual led section from Titesee I was passenger in a car and thought I snapped them but doesn’t appear so. I will search and come back if I find them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We drove through Freiburg more than once, do you know who the four statues beside the main route through represent ?
Do you mean these, they are four Hapsburg emperors? https://goo.gl/maps/FeQk4BrqLDu

upload_2018-11-7_15-32-21.png

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
In Sept we drove down Moselle (Trier to Koblenz), up the Rhine (Mainz has Umwelt Zone, so stuck to "motorway" [several roadworks]), via Stasbourg to Colmar (home of Statue of Liberty designer, so a mini version on a roundabout).

Then across to Freiburg (Umwelt Zone caught us by surprise but we escaped safely) and Titisee (train not running past Altenglashut, otherwise "free" transport over a large area would have been very convenient) and Schluchsee.

Through proper forest to Triberg (free parking under the supermarket) where Germany's highest waterfall costs €5 and cuckoo clock shops abound. We tried several places for BFG without any success.

Lake Constance (Bodensee) was very busy and then we picked up the Alpine Road to Fussen, Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain: €50 for cog railway or gondola ride), past Walchensee to Chiemsee and Berchtesgaden.

Then back via Burghausen (Germany's longest castle) and Passau, Bavarian Wald, Thuringian Wald, Harz mountains.

A good time was had by all - Gordon

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We tried several places for BFG without any success

Really??? That’s where BFG was invented so to speak, I’ve seen the original recipe book from way back, the cafe owner showed it to us and signed the wife’s copy of her “hairy bikers bakeation book” of which he appeared in the tv programme with them.(y)

Cafe Konditorei schäfer.

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We never did find BFG. That came much later on the Moselle and was well worth the wait. Believe it or not I have a framed picture of a slice on the wall, it's that good and nothing at all like we get in the UK.

Cafe Konditorei Schäfer, Triberg. Das original!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
We recently spent three weeks in the area, ten days on Belchenblick site at Staufen where they gave us a free transport
Hi.
Pulled into Bechenblick some 17+years ago with our then twin axle gin palace,chap comes out and says ." Unhitch your unit,Patrick will site it for you " Had to laugh,one of my names is Patrick(y),still,did as i was told,and me an International Mega truckin Superstar:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
The site was very nice,would/will maybe go there again,there was a then C&C rally there,i think it was Hereford.Well remember a trip on Lake Konigsee,with the "Hund",half way out it stops and one of the crew plays a Bugle,magic echoes. You can get off the boat at various stops and do walks/[picnic etc, Then catch the next ferry on its way around,so you would need the best part of a day to do it properly. Enjoy.
Tea Bag.
PS. You could then hire a car from there,it was brought to the site and collected when done with,check it out first>

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.
Pulled into Bechenblick some 17+years ago with our then twin axle gin palace,chap comes out and says ." Unhitch your unit,Patrick will site it for you " Had to laugh,one of my names is Patrick(y),still,did as i was told,and me an International Mega truckin Superstar:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
The site was very nice,would/will maybe go there again,there was a then C&C rally there,i think it was Hereford.Well remember a trip on Lake Konigsee,with the "Hund",half way out it stops and one of the crew plays a Bugle,magic echoes. You can get off the boat at various stops and do walks/[picnic etc, Then catch the next ferry on its way around,so you would need the best part of a day to do it properly. Enjoy.
Tea Bag.
PS. You could then hire a car from there,it was brought to the site and collected when done with,check it out first>

A very friendly greeting on site and before we left the old lady that has been there for many years gave JP and me a bottle of wine and a decorative jug.
Yes we also hired a car there.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Stayed a few days on an ACIS site in the Kinzig valley at Steinach, a walk to the station and free travel, highlight of the valley being Schiltach, a sort of German Hovis-advert town.
Never got any BFG as developed a throat infection and couldn't face it!!!

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Had a fab trip Germany/Austria this Sept/October helped by beautiful weather. Many highlights including Berchtesgarden, Zugspitze, Ludwigs castles, Grossglockner pass and everywhere inbetween. Made a special detour to Triberg but Schafer's cafe closed! Saw the waterfall though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back