Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
I have a fairly new motor home, recently begun to notice a bit of a smell towards the rear. I have a feeling its something to do with the drainage pipes/waste water tank. I have flushed the system with disinfectant/water solution which seems to have helped. I guess one solution would be to take a waste master with us and allow waste water to drain directly into it. However does anyone know of any products that would clean the system without eating away the waste pipes?

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Grey water can pong a bit. :Eeek: so it does pay to keep it clean and empty it regularly. But when it is chucking up, you should only smell it at the sink/shower and putting the plug in should stop it. If the smell is everywhere then maybe you have a leak somewhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this seems to be more of a problem than you think.:Sad:
do you drain the grey tank before leaving site or just wait 'til its full then dump.
the tank will never fully empty so there will always be some stagnant water lurking in there.
we always empty when we leave site or in the first available layby with a drain, after all, its only dirty water not foul water, otherwise the stink from a full/part full tank is unbearable.
putting the plug in the sink/shower tray/wash basin does help a bit but i dont think anyone has ever found a truly succesful cure.
also, take care what you put down the sink as food particals can and do get lodged in the convoluted waste pipes and just sit there and rot.
as the pipes are plastic i resorted to caustic soda crystals but even that didnt work.
some one on the forum (cant remember who) suggested moving the drain hose to the bottom of the tank to completely empty the tank, most are on the side just above the bottom.

hope this helps a bit.

john.

ps. i considered changing the convoluted pipe for clear smooth bore silicon pipe to allow a better flow to the tank as they do tend to clog quite easily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We've managed to avoid the smelly waste tank problem by never, ever washing dishes in the motorhome - we either wash at available facilities like CC have, or resort to an outdoor wash bowl and tip the used water into a drain. That avoids the food particle problem, at least, and it seems to have averted the smelly waste tank problem for the moment at least. I also flush the tank from time to time with milton / fairy.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The chap at Bio-Magic at Malvern suggested putting a small amount of diluted BioMagic down the drain but to make sure it's thoroughly rinsed from the plug hole as it will make a bit of a mess of cheap chrome sink fittings.

Don't know if it works. There are a few people on here that use it and may be able to advise further.

John

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Road Burner

We use BioMagic in our toilet cassette and for keeping the grey waste tank smelling sweet.
We drain down the grey tank before leaving site, we then pour a gallon or so of clean water down the sink along with some BioMagic. We then let it slosh around in the tank on the journey home, we leave it overnight and then drain down again the next day. We also leave the drain tap open whilst the van is not being used.
It works for us.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've managed to avoid the smelly waste tank problem by never, ever washing dishes in the motorhome -.

I've never washed dishes in our motorhome, but then I am married with three kids::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:

When we had a European MH with a thetford cassette I would place the contents of half eaten bowls of cereals and plate scrapings in the loo. The cassette is easy to clean and with 5 of us emptied very regularly This helped keep the smells down in the waste water tank as no solids enter the tank from the washing up.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I read somewhere that a small amount of washing powder & bleach put down the plug will keep it fresh. :thumb:

We have used this together with making sure you have some water in the tank as you travel. This sloshes the contents around & cleans the tank, then empty when possible. It also has a pleasant smell, & I also leave the emptying pipe open when the tank is empty. It works for us. :thumb:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was told the best way to get rid of waste tank smells was to empty tank then pour 1 liter of coke a cola into the tank ,then go on a drive to slosh it around.empty tank and it should be smell free for months ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back