Bike racks for a trike (1 Viewer)

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
I was looking for a standard bike rack until Mrs Keep Right On who has limited mobility suggested she might look at getting a trike for stability - is there such a thing as a rack that will take a standard bike and a trike at the same time? If so, any recommendations?

Fanks

OP
OP
Keep Right On
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Mobility scooter platform? - one in the classifieds
I will have a read up on this - we only have an accordo 105 - would something like this fit universally to MH's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Sorry, I have no views on racks. ....

But, has Mrs K tried riding a trike. They can be totally weird and defeat many people. Certainly defeated me.

I tried one at a show and found it impossible. Maybe, I just picked a poor design, but it I suggest Mrs K finds a trike she is happy with before buying a rack.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I have a large trike - Tramper TWS and the stability is great and it is very easy to use. However, it is very heavy and I would consider towing it on a dedicated trailer. I bought a Pride GoGo second hand which takes apart in seconds and better still goes together again just as easy! It is a four wheeler and fits in the garage/motorhome easily. They are very different machines and purchased to do different very jobs. The rhetorical question is, what is it to be used for and how far does you wife want to go?

The platforms may have limited weights, but check out the one Clivefog mentioned.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sorry, I have no views on racks. ....

But, has Mrs K tried riding a trike. They can be totally weird and defeat many people. Certainly defeated me.

I tried one at a show and found it impossible. Maybe, I just picked a poor design, but it I suggest Mrs K finds a trike she is happy with before buying a rack.
100% agree with the suggestion of TRYING a Trike before investing in anything to do with one
May not suit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can get adult stabilisers for bikes if its just stability that's concerning her, she could then keep her existing bike. If however she does want a trike she will need to get used to a different way of riding as you can't 'lean' round corners at all as you would with a normal bike, but have to just steer round whilst staying upright, not something I'd get used to so very important that she knows this before purchasing one. One other thing it that it will be heavier so will need more effort to pedal, so maybe an electric one would be better but then you really are talking a lot of dosh.

As for the rack, if its the usual one (Fiamma/Omnistor/Thule) fixed to the rear wall I doubt it would take the weight of a trike even if you could managed to fit it on so a tow-ball mounted rack/platform of some sort would be required and obviously this would eat into your payload (and rear axle loading) so unfortunately it's not just a case of changing a rack for another.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back