Big Waves Wednesday - Where to Go? (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We were in Perranporth last week, parked at the top of cliff road, good spot for watching the waves and surfers.
Were you wild camping or just day parking? I ask as we are going to do some travelling around Devon, Cornwall and looking for recommendations, I have I search for sites etc.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Currently parked up in Sagres overlooking this beach;

9BC6219C-4C99-4F01-BF4B-EEAC8CC1C777.png

Looks a bit tasty for tomorrow!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Were you wild camping or just day parking? I ask as we are going to do some travelling around Devon, Cornwall and looking for recommendations, I have I search for sites etc.

Camping, while the wife will camp in aires or proper parking places wilding is not for her so it was campsites for the whole week, Long Hazel off the A303 at Sparkford 1 night stop on the way, then 3 nights in Beverley Park Paignton, 2 nights in Hendra at Newquay, two at Warren Farm Brean and one night in Baltic Wharf Bristol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Cornwall , New Polzeath, free parking at this time of year, and watch the surfers. Or, just across at Polzeath, and up the hill towards the Oyster Catcher, Tristam Cliff, but pay to get in:frowny:
Regards.
Mike.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Camping, while the wife will camp in aires or proper parking places wilding is not for her so it was campsites for the whole week, Long Hazel off the A303 at Sparkford 1 night stop on the way, then 3 nights in Beverley Park Paignton, 2 nights in Hendra at Newquay, two at Warren Farm Brean and one night in Baltic Wharf Bristol.
Thanks sounds as though you had a great time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
As with most sports if you donā€™t know your limitations you get hurt, would be nice to ride a big wave but it hurts enough when a small wave gets youšŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬

Big respect to these big wave riders, even more for the older ones who had to ride with no assistance.
You have to know your limits and respect the sea. I have surfed since the mid seventies and thought I was a goner on more than one occasion after a heavy wipeout in big surf. And saved a few people who thought they could handle the surf.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
You have to know your limits and respect the sea. I have surfed since the mid seventies and thought I was a goner on more than one occasion after a heavy wipeout in big surf. And saved a few people who thought they could handle the surf.

I watch a fair few surf videos and when i see some of these wipeouts it makes me wonder how they survive.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As Just smiffy found the surf was very messy. Heavy showers kept bowling in and we got quite wet on our brief wander at Fistral beach at Newquay. During a short period of calm I took an equally short video.

The waves on the beach were nothing special but this was a few hours before high tide.

After sharing a (big :) ) pasty we had brought from home and reheated in the oven we explored a bit of the coast in the afternoon but didn't find the big waves I was hoping for.

But it was far from a wasted day and we enjoyed the escape from the house. We must do this more often over the winter - but probably not to Newquay during half-term. :)

A couple of photos from Fistral beach. The second one shows what a mess of foam and bubbles it was near the beach.

PA285982.jpg

PA285975.jpg

Last edited:

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I love rough seas.
View attachment 436415

I have a very large limited edition of the famous one (below) in my conservatory.
Phare La Jument (off Ushant) by Jean Guichard 1989.
The lighthouse keeper, ThƩodore Malgorn, heard the helicopter and went downstairs to see what was happening. At that very moment, a giant wave rose over the rear of the lighthouse and Guichard took his world-famous shot as the wave smashed against the tower. Malgorn, suddenly realising that a giant wave was about to engulf the structure, rushed back inside just in time to save his life.

For some stupid reason before I looked more closely I often wondered why a lighthouse keeper would have what I assumed to be a Raleigh Chopper propped against the wall. :rolleyes:

View attachment 436414
Great photo ..bought a print for dad once bless him.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I was disappointed too DBK ... apparently they had better waves on the south at Porthleven ....

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back