DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An interesting article in the Times this morning about the large increase in numbers of people converting ex-vans into MHs, either to live in or as a second home or tourer.

It is behind a pay wall but the figures are remarkable. In the last 12 months 21,215 vans have been registered as a change of use to MH with the DVLA, an increase of two thirds over the figure two years ago. I guess there will also be additional vehicles converted which have not been re-registered.

Deleted User
I wonder if that is the reason why the DVLA have clamped down on re-classification of vans into motor campervans. There have been quite a few refusals recently and the DVLA have re-classified them as 'vans with windows'. According to the DVLA, if a policeman or member of the public sees the vehicle would they describe it as a van with windows or a campervan or motorhome.
I have seen photos of vans that have been refused and some that have been accepted and there doesn't seem to be any consistency in their decisions.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Remember some of those 21000 reclassifications will be from the proper converters who will have to had changed the classification as well. But defiantly a huge increase in self builds from what I'm seeing on various forums/sites I follow. I wonder how many are being reclassified as vans with windows, guessing thats a large amount also and then theres plenty that don't bother changing from the original van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I could be wrong here but the re-classification of a van is not compulsory, but if you wish to have your van re-classified as a Motorhome it must meet the criteria eg 6ft bed kitchen etc.

I suspect the rise in builds is in part to the number of converters, we have seen a rise in the number of of these at various shows these guys will convert a van for you and then there are the kits available on the market. Plus you have the TV shows that have the odd converted vehicles.

i suppose it is a good thing in that it gets vehicles re-purposed and making MoHo accessible for more people.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wonder if that is the reason why the DVLA have clamped down on re-classification of vans into motor campervans. There have been quite a few refusals recently and the DVLA have re-classified them as 'vans with windows'. According to the DVLA, if a policeman or member of the public sees the vehicle would they describe it as a van with windows or a campervan or motorhome.
I have seen photos of vans that have been refused and some that have been accepted and there doesn't seem to be any consistency in their decisions.
The DVLA are quite specific if it is missing any of these it’s a van with windows.

Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

• a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mmor 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation

Deleted User
I could be wrong here but the re-classification of a van is not compulsory, but if you wish to have your van re-classified as a Motorhome it must meet the criteria eg 6ft bed kitchen etc.
This is what is causing a lot of confusion and controversy. The DVLA on their conversion quide state.

It’s a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C registration certificate (log book). All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of ‘motor caravan’.
If you’ve converted a van into a motor caravan, you must return the V5C to DVLA for amendment.

Self convertors have followed the DVLA quidelines on minimum requirements required for re-classification but are still getting refused. So the DVLA say it is a legal requirement to have the van re-classified but then they are refusing the application.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
i suppose it is a good thing in that it gets vehicles re-purposed and making MoHo accessible for more people.

This is all well and good but the National infrastructure for their usage isn’t growing accordingly, they know the numbers but no reaction in the growth of Campsites ( Nr Amenities) Camper Stops etc.

The NC500 is a prime example of this.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
When we bought our first PVC conversion from Devon Conversions and supplied the paperwork they provided the DVLA refused the application. We went back to Devon and they said that they hadn't had a problem before when submitting with their paperwork so Mark resubmitted the application with a covering letter which went through all the requirements point by point along with a lot of photos and the DVLA accepted the application.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Remember some of those 21000 reclassifications will be from the proper converters who will have to had changed the classification as well. But defiantly a huge increase in self builds from what I'm seeing on various forums/sites I follow. I wonder how many are being reclassified as vans with windows, guessing thats a large amount also and then theres plenty that don't bother changing from the original van.
That's a good point, my thread title is a bit misleading as the numbers include self-builds and those done by the established converters.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is what is causing a lot of confusion and controversy. The DVLA on their conversion quide state.

It’s a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicles are classified correctly on the V5C registration certificate (log book). All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of ‘motor caravan’.
If you’ve converted a van into a motor caravan, you must return the V5C to DVLA for amendment.

Self convertors have followed the DVLA quidelines on minimum requirements required for re-classification but are still getting refused. So the DVLA say it is a legal requirement to have the van re-classified but then they are refusing the application.
To be honest I registered a vehicle as a conversion about six years ago, the dvla is a pedantic machine feed it the exact information it needs including photo’s and measurements and ping the machine accepts the application no mess no fuss. However if you do provide said machine with the evidence it requires it will just spit the application out.

I suspect some home converters may not have met all the criteria whilst not wrong I have seen some converted vans with a camping style gas cooker, Attached to a gas bottle, you can just pick both of these up and place them outside. I suspect it wouldn’t get passed the DVLA as it is not fixed.

anyway if you think the DVLA has got it wrong appeals can be made edited to say just seen mark and Mindy did this ?

Reactions: DBK

Deleted User
To be honest I registered a vehicle as a conversion about six years ago, the dvla is a pedantic machine feed it the exact information it needs including photo’s and measurements and ping the machine accepts the application no mess no fuss. However if you do provide said machine with the evidence it requires it will just spit the application out.

I suspect some home converters may not have met all the criteria whilst not wrong I have seen some converted vans with a camping style gas cooker, Attached to a gas bottle, you can just pick both of these up and place them outside. I suspect it wouldn’t get passed the DVLA as it is not fixed.

anyway if you think the DVLA has got it wrong appeals can be made edited to say just seen mark and Mindy did this ?
This is the problem. People are carrying out conversions to a very high standard and complying with and in some cases, exceeding the minimum requirements stated and submitting photos, receipts for items added etc and the DVLA are still refusing to reclassify the vehicle as a motor caravan.

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This is the problem. People are carrying out conversions to a very high standard and complying with and in some cases, exceeding the minimum requirements stated and submitting photos, receipts for items added etc and the DVLA are still refusing to reclassify the vehicle as a motor caravan.

Im seeing on various self build forums people getting refused even when they have fulfilled all the required conversion points. It seems not putting any styling/graphics on the sides is coming up a lot. But it also seems that some go straight through with no graphics and others get refused. Think its all about who you get that looks at the request and how they interpret the regulations.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Some insurance company's also check on the conversion.
When I insured my private but professionally converted van with Comford insurance they requested photographic evidence of the conversion, this may have been more to do with the value placed on the van rather than compliance.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Some insurance company's also check on the conversion.
When I insured my private but professionally converted van with Comford insurance they requested photographic evidence of the conversion, this may have been more to do with the value placed on the van rather than compliance.
My insurance company at the time requested the pictures and annually as well which was a pain

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
There was a slot about people converting and full timing in vans on the one show last week to save on rent. Interestingly nobody mentioned where they empty the waste or fill up from and no one was staying on sites.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bureaucratic nonsense...

Bunch of suits needing something to justify their existence (and index linked pensions) sitting around making up unnecessary, petty rules and pretending they are for the benefit of society.

I hate suits and clipboards.

I do my best not to let them get my knickers in a twist.

My last self build would not really be allowed to be called a motor caravan, but that's what it says in the log book, so a motor caravan is what it is...

...actually it is a shed now.

JJ :cool:

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
There was a slot about people converting and full timing in vans on the one show last week to save on rent. Interestingly nobody mentioned where they empty the waste or fill up from and no one was staying on sites.

Well, the couple pictured in the article are Indieprojects on Youtube and explain all about in one or more of their videos. They have a composting toilet and even travel with a cat, who's toilet is right next to theirs!!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Interestingly nobody mentioned where they empty the waste or fill up from and no one was staying on sites.

Oh please NO...

There are many, many, many, many places to do these two things.

I know.

I lived on the side of the road in my (super deluxe, black beauty) self build for years and years and years with no problems at all.

JJ :cool:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Well, the couple pictured in the article are Indieprojects on Youtube and explain all about in one or more of their videos. They have a composting toilet and even travel with a cat, who's toilet is right next to theirs!!
The Cat would be offended if the litter tray was anywhere else ?

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It goes through this cut out under a seat to use its litter tray ? ?

1571648887779.png

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Made me think, what happens if you don’t meet the criteria?
Does the vehicle remain a van.? And if so, is there any problems?

What are the advantages of having such a van ( that does meet the criteria) classified as as a motorhome, instead of leaving as a van?

• Nice One!
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Made me think, what happens if you don’t meet the criteria?
Does the vehicle remain a van.? And if so, is there any problems?

What are the advantages of having such a van ( that does meet the criteria) classified as as a motorhome, instead of leaving as a van?

The main thing is most likely to be insurance. if its listed as a van and the insurance thinks its a van and somethings happens to said vehicle you may not be covered at all or they may only pay what the van would be worth excluding all the self build things. Some companies will allow it insured as a van but then add the extra value of extras etc.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Damn it!! There's possibly two things on that DVLA list I'm going to fall foul of then.
Or one if they don't want to be too pedantic.. haha yea.. ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I wanted it fully stealth to look like a normal 7.5 ton box van but as soon as I have to cut a window and a door in it I'm going to lose that look. ?
The entrance door I was thinking of putting at the back of the cab. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back