Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Electrics, Ugh! hate electrics. I pulled in for fuel and this very kind person told me my nearside (left side) stop light was not working. Removed relevant lamp gave it a clean, nothing, checked hand book and replaced fuse, nothing. Then discovered rear side lights not working in same cluster, (front sides okay) Replaced second fuse, nothing. I'm hoping this is a common fault with Fiat Ducato's that someone can throw some light on, -- sorry

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Cavs I guess you're talking about the back of the light cluster housing?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Thanks Cavs I guess you're talking about the back of the light cluster housing?
Yes, that would be my first thing to check given that two different feeding circuits are misbehaving.

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Okay I'll check it out while the suns still shinning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've removed the cluster housing, exposed the connections and all look good apart from one blue wire which has come adrift. I could be wrong but the spade feeding the stop light looks like it should have two wires and not just the one coming from it. I say this because there are strands of copper wire protruding from the crimping. I'm reluctant to reconnect this wire without a diagram but what I might do is take the offside cluster apart and see if this gives any indication.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect as the previous poster has said there is no earth that might well be the one. If you have a meter check from the blue wire to the chassis if there is no resistance its an earth

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
The light housing is plastic and I can't see anywhere for this blue wire to make an earth. I've trimmed the end of this blue wire and held it against the stop light, still nothing. There is a black wire making a good connection on what I assume is an earth bar running between the lamp holders, this wire disappears out the back of the housing. If this is an earth should it not make contact to the chassis or a metal component somewhere.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly the earth fault is often hidden away where the wire is attached to the chassis. simple enough to test if you run a temporary earth wire. if this works install a new earth wire to the cluster fixed the other end to bare metal on the chassis

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've crawled under the back of the van, the black wire ends up connected to the chassis with a brand new nut bolt and spade connection, so it looks like this has been a recent problem. Hopefully the dealer may well have the answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A reasonably frequent failure point is the point where the supplementary loom plugs into the original fiat connector. either at the join behind the cab or further down the chassis. Chase the point where you lose power, which can be complicated

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Now that I've established what looks like a good earth it follows there must be a fault with the 12v supply. That's about as far as my understanding goes when it comes to auto electrics. The dealer says he will sort it out but he is tied up until Monday. I don't have the necessary circuit testing equipment but I have a mate who's an electrician so he might be able to help find where this blue goes

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have very little technical ability, but for my own sanity I would try the off side bulb in the near side holder and vice versa, it will at least prove it isn’t something as simple as a faulty bulb (y)

Unlikely probably but easily proved, I think I am right that brake and tail light are in the same bulb,

In the back of my mind I think I recall they are not called bulbs but you know what I mean :)(y)

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
lamps give you light and bulbs give you flowers but even the most pedantic person here can understand what you mean

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back