Beware of Re-Mapping or Chipping (1 Viewer)

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
We are putting our MoHo to http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/ for tuning.

I had a nightmare few weeks with Quantum tuning. Asked them a lot of questions first which they were unable to answer, although they made a variety of false promises. After claiming they had done several remaps of my vehicle (2003 Mercedes 2.7) they finally admitted they hadn't, and didn't have the round OBD port connector that it uses. Turns out it is just a franchise with basic training for a monkey to connect a laptop via the OBD port and press a button to upload a generic diesel map (they claimed to have custom maps but this was false - at best they had something tat worked for cars fitted with that engine).

After some major arguments their head office contacted me to resolve the problems and asked me to send off the complete ECU so they could write a custom map directly to the chip (more specific to an automatic 6 ton motorhome than the higher revving ML series passenger cars). Turns out they couldn't do that either, even in their head office. Nobody had the skill or knowledge to reprogram it !

Eventually had it done by Mike at https://www.mpgtuning.co.uk/ - who was infinitely more knowledgeable and professional. Slightly more expensive as he had to replace the factory locked chip with an aftermarket one that was 'open' to programming, and a custom map for my requirements based on the vehicle weight and my usual driving speeds (no point going for the daft figures quoted by others for driving flat out at max speed).

Maybe Quantum aren't so bad with other engines but worth asking them some specific questions about exactly what they plan to do.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
how can you get more power for using less energy ?

You can't. I've always thought along the lines of EITHER use more power OR get better fuel economy. I wouldn't expect both at the same time.

I've considered a remap, all I really want is the ability to keep my speed up on long draggy hills, especially when we're fully loaded (3850kg on 2.3 Ducato) and hopefully an improvement in mpg, never looked for more speed. From all the discussions I think a good remap will achieve this and Quantum's offer of a refund if it doesn't work attracts me.

From reading various stories on here I believe this quest for more speed is the real problem when add-on boxes OR remapping results in mechanical disaster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
I had a nightmare few weeks with Quantum tuning. Asked them a lot of questions first which they were unable to answer, although they made a variety of false promises. After claiming they had done several remaps of my vehicle (2003 Mercedes 2.7) they finally admitted they hadn't, and didn't have the round OBD port connector that it uses. Turns out it is just a franchise with basic training for a monkey to connect a laptop via the OBD port and press a button to upload a generic diesel map (they claimed to have custom maps but this was false - at best they had something tat worked for cars fitted with that engine).

After some major arguments their head office contacted me to resolve the problems and asked me to send off the complete ECU so they could write a custom map directly to the chip (more specific to an automatic 6 ton motorhome than the higher revving ML series passenger cars). Turns out they couldn't do that either, even in their head office. Nobody had the skill or knowledge to reprogram it !

Eventually had it done by Mike at https://www.mpgtuning.co.uk/ - who was infinitely more knowledgeable and professional. Slightly more expensive as he had to replace the factory locked chip with an aftermarket one that was 'open' to programming, and a custom map for my requirements based on the vehicle weight and my usual driving speeds (no point going for the daft figures quoted by others for driving flat out at max speed).

Maybe Quantum aren't so bad with other engines but worth asking them some specific questions about exactly what they plan to do.
As you said, they are franchises but we checked and our local guy has a pretty good reputation so I’m hoping there’s not horror stories.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Thought I would add my penny's worth
One off the reasons diesels have the ability of mega miles is that they run cooler than petrol engines
One of the down sides of increasing the power is you will increase the heat produced
Going from 130 bhp to 150 on a x250 is unlikely to have much effect as the cooling system is the same.
But as others have posted not all rechips are the same and you could be putting the longevity of your engine at risk as well as the odd clutch

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
To generate more power, an engine needs to be able to burn more fuel; laws of physics and thermodynamics dictate this..

Simple really
Or just improve the efficiency of the engine, and get more power for less fuel...

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Simple really[/QUOTE]
To generate more power, an engine needs to be able to burn more fuel; laws of physics and thermodynamics dictate this..

Simple really

You’re really not getting it are you? Have a read about peak torque pal.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Just a small point for those considering fitting a paddle or ceramic clutch as they were first known as, they last a lot longer but be prepared to have to replace the flywheel as they wear the metal away faster than the linings

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thought I would add my penny's worth
One off the reasons diesels have the ability of mega miles is that they run cooler than petrol engines
One of the down sides of increasing the power is you will increase the heat produced
Going from 130 bhp to 150 on a x250 is unlikely to have much effect as the cooling system is the same.
But as others have posted not all rechips are the same and you could be putting the longevity of your engine at risk as well as the odd clutch
Diesel engines run at a temperature determined by the cooling system that has to be much more robust than that needed for a petrol engine. Combustion temperatures in a Diesel engine are considerably higher than those of a petrol engine which is why they produce more N0x - hence the need for EGR or Adblue. Remapping will only add more heat if the extra power developed is used by travelling more quickly: most users are remapping to modify the torque curve to improve output at lower engine speeds.

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
As you said, they are franchises but we checked and our local guy has a pretty good reputation so I’m hoping there’s not horror stories.
Yes, hope so too. Problem for me was that my MB engine is fitted to a wide range of vehicles. A generic map might suit a car driver or even a Sprinter panel van, driven by a courier who needs to zip through city traffic with not much weight, getting max power from each gear. Different to a permanently fully loaded 6 ton van with different gearing that cruises for long periods at a steady speed.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Before /at the time , I would be fitting an EGT guage as this is a very important reading with a Turbo diesel vehicle , increased power
requires increased fuel burn , with resultant higher egt , unless other measures are taken to ameliorate . Exceeding egt safe limits can be catastrophic even in fairly short duration .
http://web.bankspower.com/tech_article/why-egt-is-important/

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Before /at the time , I would be fitting an EGT guage as this is a very important reading with a Turbo diesel vehicle , increased power
requires increased fuel burn , with resultant higher egt , unless other measures are taken to ameliorate . Exceeding egt safe limits can be catastrophic even in fairly short duration .
http://web.bankspower.com/tech_article/why-egt-is-important/
Nobody is running on jet fuel. Chipping is very slight changes to the engine "brain". I wouldn't think there is reason to worry about this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back