Beware Google Maps speed limits! (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have just come back from a few days away and noticed that Google Maps on iPhones have finally started displaying the speed limit.

BUT it is far from accurate!

A stretch of the A417 between Hereford and Leominster is single carriageway, national speed limit. Google maps dithered between 60, 50 and 40 where no signs showed a change in limit.

The on the A49 towards Ludlow, again a single carriageway, national speed limit, Google maps showed 80mph - not even kph!

Bit more work required methinks.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have just come back from a few days away and noticed that Google Maps on iPhones have finally started displaying the speed limit.

A stretch of the A417 between Hereford and Leominster is single carriageway, national speed limit. Google maps dithered between 60, 50 and 40 where no signs showed a change in limit.

The on the A49 towards Ludlow, again a single carriageway, national speed limit, Google maps showed 80mph - not even kph!

They have been activated on Android for some time, mine appears very accurate but I will check it again. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015

That's why i look at the speed limit signs, do not rely on sat nav's etc.
Posted limit is what the police work on, unfortunately sometime a little to harshly

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That's why i look at the speed limit signs, do not rely on sat nav's etc.
Posted limit is what the police work on, unfortunately sometime a little to harshly
I always try to look at the signs but there are quite a few lurking behind untrimmed hedges at the moment so I thought it might be useful back-up.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I always try to look at the signs but there are quite a few lurking behind untrimmed hedges at the moment so I thought it might be useful back-up.

Even worse in France for a RHD driver. They must trim them for LHD. Fortunately I usually have my co-pilot with me who gets sight of them from her angle before I.

Another Gallic trap for the English!

Geoff

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Janine, with the extra weight of your upgrade you may not have a problem. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
No September just having mine done as we speak.
You stand to lose all subsidy if they see you cutting before now.
Seems like we are both correct!

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Cutting a hedge before law states otherwise is one thing, trimming around signs which are covered by heavy growth should not be ignored.

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
They can't use covid for those as the lazy barstewards rarely cut anything in Devon and Essex and never clean either.
Surrey is much the same, one of the richest counties that has the poorest roads

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
My wife's new car has a "speed limit sign reader" it flashes up the speed limit as you pass a road sign.
Unfortunately, it "reads" local signs in Gisburn that show "30 in 300 yds" and then it gets upset 200yds down the road where there is another sign this second one shows "30 in 100yds"
What's even better, it goes ape-sh1t when you drive past £1 shop.
This is technology for a solution without a problem
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back