Beware. European cover. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Just been trawling through various insurance companies for our renewal and was surprised how many offer European cover but when reading the small print it "states third party only".
Something to watch out for.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
(y)

But also on some you need to read the small print of the small print.
I think it's Aviva / safeguard that states 3rd party cover BUT then has an amendment saying same cover as UK...

Good point though Tom, especially for new owners to check.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I’ll check. I was right peeved at my AA cover. Includes Europe, they said. After a bit of delving it turned out to include Europe for a measly 24 hours! What use is that? Who drives to Europe for one day!?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
(y)

But also on some you need to read the small print of the small print.
I think it's Aviva / safeguard that states 3rd party cover BUT then has an amendment saying same cover as UK...

Good point though Tom, especially for new owners to check.

But does that mean that Third Party Cover is the same as the UK, whatever that is.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
But does that mean that Third Party Cover is the same as the UK, whatever that is.

No it means you have same cover as if in UK .. if you have Fully comp in UK then you have same fully comp in Europe.. but always need to check and make sure.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I’ll check. I was right peeved at my AA cover. Includes Europe, they said. After a bit of delving it turned out to include Europe for a measly 24 hours! What use is that? Who drives to Europe for one day!?
Actually I do usually late autumn to get wine stocked up for Christmas. I can get about 100L max in the motorhome if its all in boxes, but for maximum carrying capacity especially of bottles I take the Land rover.
We get through a lot of wine, not just us but of course friends and relatives know we always have stocks available for them to drink freely.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No it means you have same cover as if in UK .. if you have Fully comp in UK then you have same fully comp in Europe.. but always need to check and make sure.

As an Insurance Lawyer I would want to examine the Policy Wording to be sure, which is why I queried the wording used in the post.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Gosh, I ddn’t know that was still a thing. I thought booze was so cheap these days that no one bothered with ‘duty free!’ Still, thinking about it, if you drink wine (I rarely do) I bet you get much better wine!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Certainly our supermarkets only have a limited range of wine. We go mainly for the choice though there is a bit of saving in cost.
Tend to mainly bring back Spanish wine in the motorhome as there the cost saving is significant, though not the very cheap stuff in plastic bottles as all I have tried has been very bad.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Not only should you look at the Fully Comp. or Third Party Cover but, also look at length of time you can stay in one trip, it might say for example 365 days cover , but you are only allowed to stay 30 , 60, or 90 Days at any one time, although it says 365 days cover , very confusing. Different Companies word their Policies differently .
Another example My Daughterinlaw was using my sons car , while it was Parked another car hit my sons car, while she was sitting in it, my sons Insurers accepted he had a " No Fault Claim " they recovered all costs , he never lost his No Claims Bonus , but, I asked my Insurance Company if I could insure her to drive my car ,I told my Car Insurance Company all the Facts and as she had a No Fault Claim in my sons car they wanted an extra £250 . I questioned this as everything is reportable ( No joy).
Now I'm with the Brokers Safegaurd and have my Son on my Motor Home Insurance and they say as it was a No Fault Claim attached to his Car Insurance the Companies regardless who had the accident in his car that does not affect my Insurance although the Incident is Reportable . It's a Mine field.
Tony A

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back