Best way to sell a campervan? (1 Viewer)

Jul 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
A/w Malibu
Hi all,

Our new Malibu is due to arrive in less than 2 months so the time has come to sell our lovely and trusted VW T6 that we had for the past 5 years. The Malibu dealer said they won’t accept an exchange as they only sell larger vans and motorhomes so we have to try and sell it ourselves. As first-time sellers of such an expensive item we’re feeling a bit intimidated and clueless so we’re after some advice and reassurance which we’re hoping to find here :hugs:
  • What would be a good place to sell? We have been looking at the Autotrader site which seems easy enough to use but we are worried (well, I am, my other half probably less so…) to have mostly tyre kickers and other time wasters (or even worse: scammers… ) on our doorstep instead of genuine buyers. We also reasoned that people might be a tad reluctant to part with such a large sum of money in a private sale on someone’s drive and that this means we would have to lower the asking price significantly to get a sale.
  • We have read on this forum about using Motorhome Depot which sounds quite ideal apart from the fact that they obviously need to make a profit which will affect what we will get for our van. Does anyone have experience dealing with this company? Or have any idea what MD would generally charge for their services? Are there any specific cons or things we need to watch out for when we use them?
  • Any other ideas that we haven’t thought about yet?
Any advice is much appreciated😊👍

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Simon Select might be able to help, try him, he is a trusted member of the forum and also a dealer ...he can only say no !!!

Reactions: f6c

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I sold via motorhome depot got what I wanted and 2nd person to view bought it.
Was easy enough, and all comms etc dealt with by them.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
VW, normally sell themselves. Research its value on line, allow a couple of % off sale price for buyers satisfaction. Use a high Street bank for transfers with a specimen £1 prior transfer.Job done, bundle saved.
Mike.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I sold via Ebay classified, a T4 conversion. Obviously you need your wits about you but truly interested buyers stand out. These days of bank transfers make the process safer. However you have to set a price that reflects a buyer beware scenario. I went for halfway between dealer offer to me and what it would go for on a forecourt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We've sold twice through MD & would use them again. You tell them what you want, they put their commission on top. Any negotiation downward is between seller, buyer and MD agent ( who may agree to drop their commission for a sale).
Another option is the classifieds on this site, if you're a full member i.e. paid subs.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
25Seven campers are another company it would be worth looking at. https://25sevencampers.co.uk/current-stock/

VW campers have dropped in value recently and there are a lot of them about for sale, especially those which aren't Euro6 and therefore not ULEZ compliant, even though most of them may never be affected. Buyers are understandably cautious. If I were selling mine, I'd almost certainly go with either 25seven or Motorhome Depot, because I consider the reduction in personal hassle worth the commission they would earn.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Hi all,

Our new Malibu is due to arrive in less than 2 months so the time has come to sell our lovely and trusted VW T6 that we had for the past 5 years. The Malibu dealer said they won’t accept an exchange as they only sell larger vans and motorhomes so we have to try and sell it ourselves. As first-time sellers of such an expensive item we’re feeling a bit intimidated and clueless so we’re after some advice and reassurance which we’re hoping to find here :hugs:
  • What would be a good place to sell? We have been looking at the Autotrader site which seems easy enough to use but we are worried (well, I am, my other half probably less so…) to have mostly tyre kickers and other time wasters (or even worse: scammers… ) on our doorstep instead of genuine buyers. We also reasoned that people might be a tad reluctant to part with such a large sum of money in a private sale on someone’s drive and that this means we would have to lower the asking price significantly to get a sale.
  • We have read on this forum about using Motorhome Depot which sounds quite ideal apart from the fact that they obviously need to make a profit which will affect what we will get for our van. Does anyone have experience dealing with this company? Or have any idea what MD would generally charge for their services? Are there any specific cons or things we need to watch out for when we use them?
  • Any other ideas that we haven’t thought about yet?
Any advice is much appreciated😊👍
Send me some photo's. Happy to have a look and see if we can help. We are based in Devon and our site has thousands of cars and campers going past everyday!

Simon

Feb 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
We sold our Motorhome last year, had it advertised on eBay and elsewhere but actually sold it through Facebook Market place.
Got lots of silly enquiries and instant cash offers but we eventually sold it to a travelling family for a fair price (they're not all bad), just ensured they came to us and money transferred into our account before the keys were handed over,
Have now sold a couple of things through FB Market place and actually purchased our Campervan back in February via the same.

Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
I asked for advice about selling our IH and a number of funsters recommended Simon Select. He also in touch with us. We had a chat, agreed a price & the van was collected and eventually sold for the price we agreed. All in all a very smooth transaction. I highly recommend that you consider Simon.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We sold with MH depot and found it to be a painless experience. They, filtered out all the tyre kickers and conducted all the viewings. It sold to a buyer who viewed when we were away for a week’s break.

Ian

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
We will be in same boat in 4 weeks as we are selling our Bilbos Celex . I’ll be watching this chat with interest.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
EBay and Autotrader.

I’m not sure why people fear selling? It obviously is the a thing otherwise WBAC and Motorway etc wouldn’t exist.

I’d rather realise the maximum return to myself than get middle ‘persons’ involved.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Set a reserve and put on eBay auction not as cheap as classified and but will probably make a better price (if it doesn't make reserve first time repeat, recently saw 1 make just over 20k first time sold second time just over 30k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back