Best Scooter weight wise for back of Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
are you referring to rear axle loading calculation , that factors in the distance of load from rear axle ?
Yes that's it :)
Thanks for the replys got to say this is more curiosity than anything.

Last edited:

The French Connection

Free Member
Aug 21, 2018
Charente Maritime, SW France
Funster No
MH
A class(
Exp
7 years with a '92 Hymer B544, three year break, bought a Challenger Sirius 3088 August 2018
Thanks everyone. Interesting about the drop inside the door, picking the van up next Tuesday and will see if I can work out the extra height!

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
Hi folks,

Now I'm perturbed, which isn't unusual. I thought I was all sorted: was going to buy a three-wheeler such as a Piaggio MP3 250ie 250cc, when I return in November. I've yet to carefully check if it'll fit into my garage but I figured a three-wheeler would be more stable and stow easier.

After going through all the posts on this thread, I see no mention of three-wheelers. What am I missing?

Secondly: is there a good supplier for ramps to get up into the garage? I've imagined a folding ramp to give a gentler slope to push the scooter up - and to be easier to stow?

I'm just getting started, so please forgive my naivety.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All,
Hoping you can help, We are after a Scooter for the back of our Motorhome that is good for two-up but is also light, We have a Scooter Rack fitted that takes up-to 130kgs, Have used a 50cc Kymco DJ50s 93kgs, But not very good for the two of us,(only used for nipping to the shops when we are parked up), I have now passed my Mod 2 bike test, (at the grand age of 64!(y)), So can now take the wife on a bigger bike, Was looking at a Honda vision 110cc, weight 108kgs. But am sure there are other bikes out there that might be a better choice?. Would appreciate your knowledge on "MotorhomeFun" for advice on this issue, Thanks all in advance for your help. PS. I have done all the calculations for our Motorhome & the 130kgs is within our range.

Hi folks,

Now I'm perturbed, which isn't unusual. I thought I was all sorted: was going to buy a three-wheeler such as a Piaggio MP3 250ie 250cc, when I return in November. I've yet to carefully check if it'll fit into my garage but I figured a three-wheeler would be more stable and stow easier.

After going through all the posts on this thread, I see no mention of three-wheelers. What am I missing?

Secondly: is there a good supplier for ramps to get up into the garage? I've imagined a folding ramp to give a gentler slope to push the scooter up - and to be easier to stow?

All three wheelers weigh more than 130kgs I think. (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi folks,

@Popeye has one in the back of his Laika, he may be able top help. But I think they are very heavy so you need to check the maximum weight allowed in your garage, the maximum load on your rear axle and the maximum gross weight of your chassis.

For our 2 wheeled scooter we use a folding aluminium ramp, there are plenty on sale on ebay. £40 ish from memory. But if you have the Piaggio MP3 you will need three of them.

Edit. Seems the 250cc model weighs in at 205kg or so.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Now I'm perturbed, which isn't unusual. I thought I was all sorted:

@Popeye has one in the back of his Laika

Laika, bleddy Laika Peter...... no no, it is a Frankia Platin Plus

"Hi guys, yes I have a piaggio mp3, mine is the 300 cc and more importantly it is the "yourban'.

They weigh in at 245kg dry so with fuel and oil they are so close to a quarter tonne as to make no difference.
The one you link to will not go inside your garage as it is too long the yourban is just a few inches shorter and goes up inside a Garage of 1150mm tall.

They used to make three models the 125/ 250/400.
They now make the 125 / 300 / 500.

The 125 is not registered as a car so can not be ridden on a car licence. The 250-300 and the 400-500 can be driven on a car licence but the larger 400/500 will not go inside your garage.

So you are probably looking for a mp3 300cc yourban or the older 250 but it will need to be the yourban to get it inside your Garage.

Hope this helps. Griff

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I am on my 4th scooter started with a Honda Vision which was a little slow for me, SH 125 next and that was brilliant but traded it in after 2 years for a SH300 that was really powerfull but the seat was pretty high from the ground for me. so ......... looked at a 3 wheel Piagio mp3 BUT there is an issue with the steering bearings and if not under warrenty its a £500 job, I traded in for
20180627_113808.jpg
20180814_164017.jpg
a Kasawaki J300 scooter which is really comfy and I am delighted with, think it will be my last one, I travel it in a trailer so don't have weight problems, it weighs 190k but the extra weight improves the ride and handling, its a great ride and this will be my last one

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Laika, bleddy Laika Peter...... no no, it is a Frankia Platin Plus

"Hi guys, yes I have a piaggio mp3, mine is the 300 cc and more importantly it is the "yourban'.

They weigh in at 245kg dry so with fuel and oil they are so close to a quarter tonne as to make no difference.
The one you link to will not go inside your garage as it is too long the yourban is just a few inches shorter and goes up inside a Garage of 1150mm tall.

They used to make three models the 125/ 250/400.
They now make the 125 / 300 / 500.

The 125 is not registered as a car so can not be ridden on a car licence. The 250-300 and the 400-500 can be driven on a car licence but the larger 400/500 will not go inside your garage.

So you are probably looking for a mp3 300cc yourban or the older 250 but it will need to be the yourban to get it inside your Garage.

Hope this helps. Griff

Thanks for this. Just what I needed. Now I know what to go and try.
Much obliged.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would look at something like a honda vision 110.
currently I have a symjet 4 125 that I literally throw in.

but being a Vespa fan I have a GTS300 that I have just dragged all around Italy and France, ok 159kg but gorgeous in every way.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi folks,

Three wheeler you will need three ramps or one big wide one, two wheels just one ramps(y) and the scoot takes up less space.

For me the SH 125 Honda is perfect, OK it's too slow but if I had the 300 which would be great I would ride that flat out as well and that would be too fast for shorts and a T shirt so rewind "125 is perfect".

Martin

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Three wheeler you will need three ramps or one big wide one, two wheels just one ramps(y) and the scoot takes up less space.

For me the SH 125 Honda is perfect, OK it's too slow but if I had the 300 which would be great I would ride that flat out as well and that would be too fast for shorts and a T shirt so rewind "125 is perfect".

Martin
Too fast for shorts and a T shirt? I think 30 mph is too much for that if you are unfortunate enough to come off and slide down the road stripping your flesh.
But its all calculated risk... ;)

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ramp for three-wheeler: I figured it would be in two bits, wide enough for the front wheels and each section would hinge along its length to fold away at half it's width.
As I said, I'm yet to get going seriously, so I'm not even sure how easy it would be to push any scooter up a ramp. I've never seen anyone doing it either.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ramp for three-wheeler: I figured it would be in two bits, wide enough for the front wheels and each section would hinge along its length to fold away at half it's width.
As I said, I'm yet to get going seriously, so I'm not even sure how easy it would be to push any scooter up a ramp. I've never seen anyone doing it either.
I would not want to push a scooter weighing 250kg up our ramp. I think @Popeye uses a winch or his Piaggio, but not sure. We stand by the side of our 100kg scooter and have the engine running and gently drive it up, but it is a CVT automatic so that is easy.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yes, I was just getting around to the idea of a small winch to take the strain off - and allow a shortish ramp. Mind you, when I finally sit on a three-wheeler, I might well think again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I was just getting around to the idea of a small winch to take the strain off - and allow a shortish ramp. Mind you, when I finally sit on a three-wheeler, I might well think again.
I took a three wheel Yamaha Tricity 125 out for a spin, having the wider track at the front means that you have to do more weaving around to avoid pot holes as its no good straddling them as then the back wheel hits, that decided it for me and went for just two wheels, I did push it up the ramp the first few times but now just run it up on the throttle as @peterc10 suggests.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I think @Popeye uses a winch on his Piaggio, but not sure.
I use a four to one pulley system that was used on my yacht as the backup mainsheet hauler. The only reason I use it is so that I can put the bike/trike in and out on my own.

I'm still using three ramps but as soo as I get round to narrowing the centre ramp then I will have a single 21" threaded hinge bolt so that it becomes one larger ramp.

I ride the Piaggio because my wife feels safer on the back of this compared to our old 125, also it has 50% as much rubber again on the road as most two wheelers plus it also has another disc brake. I'm told it feels safer to ride by some bikers for these reasons.

I will admit that it feels heavy at low speeds especially.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Honda PCX great bike 2 up

Agree, but find the ride a bit choppy.......but perhaps that's the same with all short wheelbase scooters.

Got an advisory after only 2 years that the steering head bearing was slightly worn in the straight ahead position. Apparently a common occurrence. Was quoted around £250 to replace because of all the bodywork that had to be removed to gain access.

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Got a PCX125 that goes with the MH had it for 6 years and just got a SH125 that I will be leaving in Spain, I find the SH 125 has got better suspension especially with 2 up.

mrhappy

Free Member
Feb 9, 2018
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
10 years
Honda SH125 Mode in my opinion is best combination of power and weight for small scooter it’s water cooled and has a lot better performance than 110cc scooter and l think bigger wheels

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I originally had a 125 Lexmoto Gladiator scooter , 100 mpg , 60 mph indicated but realistically 55 mpg. great bit of kit weighed about 125 kg fitted in the garage if i took off the top box and mirrors ,good sized double seat . Downside ..small wheels really bad on speed bumps and hand brakes on handlebars really bad on your wrists and thumbs also the automatic clutch drops out at about 10 / 15 mhp when going down hill . did nearly 3k in 6 years , very slow 2 up in head wind or going up hills , Paid £1050 inc top box ( New ). sold 6 years later for £800

Next was a 125 lexmoto Arizona motor bike , 100 mpg. 70mph indicated but more like 65 mph , great to ride , weighed about 120 kg . Seat was double but not very big .big wheels handled great did 4k around spain , Austria and Croatia and UK in less than a year . good on hills because you have gears but still struggled 2 up on big hills . Paid £ 1200 ( second hand done 125 miles) sold 2 years later for £850 at 4500 miles

Both were good but to be truth full a bit under powered for two up ..

I have now got a Mash Black Seven ,, 250 cc looks very retro . weighs around 125 kg , Large comfortable double seat and the handling and performance are far superior , it also has ABS and 60 / 40 braking , with Discs front and rear ( the others were single disc front only ) and is Fuel Injected .
I fitted a 12v supply up to the handle bars and have a Sat Nav in a water proof housing , fuel consumption about the same but speed is 75 mph and great acceleration , was great up the mountain above Bennidorm whereas on the other two i was sometimes down to crawling pace . Paid £ 2500 new ...

I put the bikes inside the garage Carado T447 , i have a Fiamma m/c ramp in the mh that the bike sits on , i had already fitted air suspension which stops any bounce / see sawing of the mh ..

The Scooter is nice for under seat and leg draught / rain protection but takes up a lot more room in the garage , The Mash has the double top box so i can nearly carry as much shopping but is a lot more rider friendly in traffic and i can use it more safely on motorways etc with the higher speed if i need it .
The few spares i have ever needed were cheap and normally delivered within 24 hour from Chinese Motor Cycle spares or from the independent web sites ...

When i was contemplating getting a MC to put in / on the MH , i went to the weigh bridge and got them to weigh the rear axle and then i stood on the tow bar and got them to take the weight again , i only weighed 100 kg but it gave an idea of the leverage weight on the rear Axle as it was 3 ft further back from the axle .

Hope this helps ..

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I only weighed 100 kg
100kg?? Guessing you meant your weight on the tow bar applied 100kg on the axle due to the leverage. We were looking to put a 144kg Piaggio Medley 125 on our garage What was the distance between the tow bar and the centre of the back axle?

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ok I should have put more details for you ...
The distance is 2.5 mt and the axle weight with me hung off the tow bar was a lot less than the recommended weight limit . Also bear in mind mine is actually inside the garage about 1.5 mt from the axle .

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
we used a 100cc Honda Lead automatic for a few years, with atop box and under seat storage was great runaround!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back