Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 22, 2018
Fairlight, Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
A class
Hi. We have had our MH 1 year now and would like to go over to Europe and further afield. However, very confused with what is best Satnav to buy. So, looking for recommendations please? Thank you

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi. We have had our MH 1 year now and would like to go over to Europe and further afield. However, very confused with what is best Satnav to buy. So, looking for recommendations please? Thank you

We’ve got a Head Unit (expensive, but after two years and 5 other failed units, I don’t care 🤷‍♂️ ;)) and can play Android Auto through it. So there’s the satnav in the Unit and the option to use Google Maps or other Satnav Apps……the one that suits you.👍

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Use Google maps to monitor your exact location, then plan your preferred route with an atlas and follow signs for each city/town you pass along the route. Then use Google navigation for the last mile or 2.
All sat navs I've used stitch you up sooner or later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We have a TomTom and love, mostly because we are so used to it and we value all the POI's you can download to it free.
It's not fool proof by any means, you still have to use the standard mk 1 eyeball from time to time

I put my motorcycle Tom Tom in the van once. I forgot the setting was on ‘Twisties’…….I chose to ignore the suggested route.😱🤣

But I do like my Tom Tom.👍

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Tomtom 6250 Professional for me. I've used Garmin (bit vague coming up to junctions and off ramps). The Tomtom's programable, height, weight, width etc. And portable, If using different vehicles. (y)

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Tomtom 6250 Professional for me. I've used Garmin (bit vague coming up to junctions and off ramps). The Tomtom's programable, height, weight, width etc. And portable, If using different vehicles. (y)
Tom Tom still doing free lifetime updates? Had my Rider 550 a few years now, and able to update the maps on e regular basis.👍

I only got 3 years with my new expensive Pioneer Van Unit…..I’ll just use one of the Apps when that expires.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I travel solo and use a TomTom but mainly just to guide me through cities and major towns. I always use a map first to jot down the main towns on my trip so that I also have a mental image of my entire route.

I used to have my route written out and slide inside my tank bag map pocket, still do on longer runs.

First Satnav I used on my bike was a Tom Tom Car 720, with a Tesco Freezer bag keeping it waterproof. Power cable plugged into my Optimate lead under my seat. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Tom Tom still doing free lifetime updates? Had my Rider 550 a few years now, and able to update the maps on e regular basis.👍

I only got 3 years with my new expensive Pioneer Van Unit…..I’ll just use one of the Apps when that expires.
My TomTom is over eight years. It was bought with lifetime European map's.
They are still supplying them but they have made it much harder to download. At the moment I'm still beating the system.
Stupidly they keep wanting to sell me their latest model

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
As per my posts elsewhere about sat nav issues I have gone back to my ordinary Garmin that the insurance company replaced nearly seven years ago.
I tried Google and the I Pad maps app this trip but it was hopeless. Admittedly some of my troubles were due to poor WiFi I think.
The Garmin would be better if it was the caravan one for vehicle size but being careful and re thinking some routes it’s been reliable in most cases.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We have an Avtex Tourer. Works well and you can put you unit dimensions in to avoid low bridge etc.

The best one is 67 and sits in the co-pilot seat. We dod get lost a bit but that's how you find some lovely places off the beaten track.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've used various Sat Navs over the years, a.bog standard cheapo Tom Tom has been my go-to. I tried an expensive motorhome special, it was slow, large (7"), heavy, and caused more problems than it solved. For example, in Italy I used the Tom Tom to get to a campsite near lake Piano in the Italian Lakes. I entered the dimensions into the camper sat Nav, and it replied that no return route was possible, yet the Tom Tom had got me there! But when we subsequently drove down the Lake Garda, I could see what it meant! Also, if you missed a turning, the camper sat Nav would ignore all the entered dimensions and send you down the narrowest roads and tightest of turns to get back on it's predicted route. Pointless. But since, I've found that the basic Tom Tom, plus a little common sense, works best. Just don't follow it blindly. I'm not keen on using a phone ap, it's too flaky.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F
Aug 22, 2018
Fairlight, Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
A class
I've used various Sat Navs over the years, a.bog standard cheapo Tom Tom has been my go-to. I tried an expensive motorhome special, it was slow, large (7"), heavy, and caused more problems than it solved. For example, in Italy I used the Tom Tom to get to a campsite near lake Piano in the Italian Lakes. I entered the dimensions into the camper sat Nav, and it replied that no return route was possible, yet the Tom Tom had got me there! But when we subsequently drove down the Lake Garda, I could see what it meant! Also, if you missed a turning, the camper sat Nav would ignore all the entered dimensions and send you down the narrowest roads and tightest of turns to get back on it's predicted route. Pointless. But since, I've found that the basic Tom Tom, plus a little common sense, works best. Just don't follow it blindly. I'm not keen on using a phone ap, it's too flaky.
Appreciate your comments thank you

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Use Google maps to monitor your exact location, then plan your preferred route with an atlas and follow signs for each city/town you pass along the route. Then use Google navigation for the last mile or 2.
All sat navs I've used stitch you up sooner or later.
Are you sure it's not user error! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a few different dedicated sat nav units of which Tom Tom was the best but we don't like the later versions and much prefer to use a 10" tablet with Sygic sat nav on it, a major benefit is that you can use it with apps such as Park4Night, Search4Sites etc and once you've found a place on them you want to drive to, click on the navigation icon, select your sat nav system (eg Sygic) and it will set the route and start directing you immediately.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Never use a Sat Nav now....my mobile phone has Google maps on it like all mobile phones...
My travel partner for many years jumartoo sat with a map on on her lap, plotting the route as we sped along...now she has her mobile as a back up to keep us from wandering off route...It works well for us...
Do use a Sat Nav on our bikes though.....,,,,,👍🇪🇦😃

Upvote 0

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I use an iPad Mini (the cellular version as that has the gps chip) with copilot. I have entered my dimensions although it does seem to ignore them sometimes so you still need to be aware but overall I am very pleased with it.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I had a garmin but it was not a motorhome one and kept sending me down unsuitable roads.
I saw posts similar to this and many recommended Xgoby truck sat navs, a Chinese make and far cheaper than most (about £60 on ebay at mo). Being a cheapskate, I thought I'd risk one and have had no issues with it as long as you programme you dimensions into it.
Just check on description it comes with lifetime European maps

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back