Best Sat Nav for motorhomes, please? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016
I would be grateful for recommendations for a state-of-the-art satnav for motorhomes that can input the height, width, length, and weight, AND that can be switched between a) motorhome only and b) motorhome plus tow car (toad).

It also needs to be able to EASILY navigate to an "address" which is a field or other non-residential or non-Post Code location, and it would be brilliant if it did that using the 'What Three Words' geo-location system — instead of unfriendly GPS coordinates.

It will replace an Aguri satnav that's stopped working and when it was working, inputting some destinations, such as wild camping fields and other non-post code addresses, was, shall we say inconvenient.

Thanks, guys.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a Avtex tourer one (garmin 770) you can in put Motorhome size and have different profiles, I have Uk profile (Actual vehicle weight and us tolls) and France profile ( weight set at 3500kg and avoid tolls)
Very pleased with it , has voice control which is a hand feature and works well.
I bought nearly new off eBay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 17, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance SE
Exp
I am a Newbie
I have the Avtex Tourer Two which is a great piece of kit.
Can be used for Motorhome or Car, with different inputs for either vehicle. Campsites can be searched and routes organised for a Tour.
The one downside I find is the volume. Although I have it turned up to full volume I have difficulty hearing the directions above the engine noise and all the rattles associated with most motorhomes.
But that could be an age thing on my part ! 😯
Otherwise highly recommended.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you want to use what3words to locate places to navigate to then one way is to run your satnav on a tablet or phone. Use the what3words app enter your 3 words select location, press Navigate and select the SatNav app.

Suitable apps would include RoadLords, Copilot and Sygic .... all allow height width entry etc.. and vehicle profile switching.

Upvote 0

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Thanks everybody, i just downloaded the Sygic app on an ipad mini so its about the same size as a sat nav. Its on 14 days free trial so will test it out soon and report back. The ipad mini clips nicely onto the fold-away clip-board thingy in the middle of the fiat ducato dashboard.
Await feedback as in the market with new larger van due for collection 😊

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Thanks everybody, i just downloaded the Sygic app on an ipad mini so its about the same size as a sat nav. Its on 14 days free trial so will test it out soon and report back. The ipad mini clips nicely onto the fold-away clip-board thingy in the middle of the fiat ducato dashboard.
Which is how I use mine , plugged into the stereo for added volume but I tend just to use iPhone now - saves having to setup the iPad . Only use google maps and a bit of common sense for routes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy from Sandy
Apr 25, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016
Having tried the free trial Sygic app for Lorries/Motorhomes it appears that in spite of entering my motorhome's weight (4.2 tonnes) and selecting "towing a caravan" (actually our tow car) the app doesn't adjust the actual speed limit that I am allowed to drive on various roads. It just displays the speed limit for cars (and presumably lorries), which is as useless as a chocolate fireguard. I had a reply from Sygic customer support saying that the facility to tow "caravans" (even though I told them I was towing a car) is being built into the next version of the software so I asked them to clarify if this includes adjustments for motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes and will it cover the UK and EU. It sounds like they have just started marketing their Lorry satnav app as being suitable for motorhomes as well, without realising what the speed limit rules are for motorhomers, with and without tow cars. When I get further clarification and an ETA for this new version of the software I will let you all know.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't use (haven't found the need) for such sophistication so maybe I'm naïve but does one really need it? I know my legal speed limits on various types of road and find that I adjust my speed almost instinctively.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I use tomtom truck 6000, been using it for a few years now, i have tried many other satnavs including garmin/sygic/copilot but always seems to come back to tomtom as i just prefer their interface. I have HD traffic with mine which has proven to be useful, i would prefer to use an app but they don't have a version for truck or motorhome only the car. As with all satnavs common sense will need to prevail as all will send you down a road you shouldn't be on for one reason or another. My motorhome even has a satnav built into the pioneer radio but i dont like this either and that is supposed to be very good. I just use that one as a backup when needed (not needed it in 4 years).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back