Free Member
Jul 25, 2022
Elgin, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Newbie. Since April 22
Having recently bought a MH and planning trips this summer around what we had already planned it looks like we are missing out on the Rally season. With that in mind I’m now looking to next year. So with the help of you guys - what rallies / events should we be considering for next year down the same lines as Carfest and Vanlife etc. I apologise If there is info on here already covering this topic, if there is, please point me in the right direcion . I’m a newbie on here . Rgds Steve

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
If you want to look at lots of motorhomes, have evening entertainment thrown in plus meet lots of other Funsters, the Warners shows are very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Stephen, you will need to be a paid up subscriber to attend MHF rallies and meets. It will be the best £20 you have ever spent on your motorhome.

Then you should set up watch reminders on both of the forums in the Rallies and Meets section. See the "Watch" button the top right of each forum. That way you will get email reminders every time a new thread has been started. That way you will be in the front of the queue!

Last edited:
OP
OP
StephenMcK

StephenMcK

Free Member
Jul 25, 2022
Elgin, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Newbie. Since April 22
Music - 40s, 50s, 60’s, 70s and Country, A few shandies 🍻, Viking’s, Cars, fun, and meeting others - I like to chat 😉

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We started out "doing" the Warner's and other trade shows with their associated MHF meets which we enjoyed. However, apart from the meets and "entertainment (paid and free)" they no longer hold much attraction, although as a newbie you might enjoy looking around to see what "essential" accessories are on offer. So we've started going to some of the smaller member-organised rallies and meets, some having themes, others just a social gathering which we find we enjoy more, plus being smaller you are more likely to mix with other Funsters. Just don't be shy!

But really it's a matter of personal choice. What we have found is that there is never any pressure to join in so you're free to do whatever you wish - in the best possible taste of course! Just keep an eye on the rallies and meets thread and join in whatever you fancy. But be warned they often fill up very quickly so you do need to get in early.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN. (y) You’re close to using up your free post, why not join us, you will get your annual subscription back in advice alone.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The first rally we went on was the Peterborough Show, which was the first and largest of the year. Lots of Funsters but it was difficult to talk to many of them, especially in the evening at the marquee. People were generally in circles talking to those people who they knew and, being a bit shy, it was a bit difficult to break in. It all felt a bit cliquey, although now I realise it wasn't really. It is just that one person's clique will be another person's circle of friends.

The next meet we went on was a small 12 van or so meet. Much better. Everybody sat round in one big circle and just chatted. The circle got smaller and bigger during the day and evening as people dipped out and then back in if they wanted to go somewhere. By the end of the weekend we had made friends with all of them.

So my advice is different to some on here. Go to a couple of small meets first before you go to the shows and festivals. You will get to know more people than you would at a show.

There is another reason why we do not go to the shows now. They have a tendency to suck money out of my wallet. That "must have" accessory I buy after a few beers turns out to be not as useful as I thought and/or flimsy tat. So I am then forced to go to one of the "bring and buy" meets the next year to try to get rid of it at a large loss to another sucker funster.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The first rally we went on was the Peterborough Show, which was the first and largest of the year. Lots of Funsters but it was difficult to talk to many of them, especially in the evening at the marquee. People were generally in circles talking to those people who they knew and, being a bit shy, it was a bit difficult to break in. It all felt a bit cliquey, although now I realise it wasn't really. It is just that one person's clique will be another person's circle of friends.

The next meet we went on was a small 12 van or so meet. Much better. Everybody sat round in one big circle and just chatted. The circle got smaller and bigger during the day and evening as people dipped out and then back in if they wanted to go somewhere. By the end of the weekend we had made friends with all of them.

So my advice is different to some on here. Go to a couple of small meets first before you go to the shows and festivals. You will get to know more people than you would at a show.

There is another reason why we do not go to the shows now. They have a tendency to suck money out of my wallet. That "must have" accessory I buy after a few beers turns out to be not as useful as I thought and/or flimsy tat. So I am then forced to go to one of the "bring and buy" meets the next year to try to get rid of it at a large loss to another sucker funster.
Peter, very similar thoughts, first meet was at Stratford Racecourse (with karaoke), friendly but too big and very noisy, we thought never again. Went on a small meet, location attracted us, excellent very inclusive e.g. people knocking on van door to ask if you wanted to join them (y) . Certainly if you like to meet people then aim for the smaller funster meets, mind they seem to be rarer, the Scottish meets tend to be smaller affairs, very inclusive and are often in different locations.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Peter, very similar thoughts, first meet was at Stratford Racecourse (with karaoke), friendly but too big and very noisy, we thought never again. Went on a small meet, location attracted us, excellent very inclusive e.g. people knocking on van door to ask if you wanted to join them (y) . Certainly if you like to meet people then aim for the smaller funster meets, mind they seem to be rarer, the Scottish meets tend to be smaller affairs, very inclusive and are often in different locations.
We met you and Jacqui for the first time at a small meet in the Scottish borders arranged by Helen Puddleduck . I agree with you about the Scottish meets. Our only problem is we live in Kent so a looooong way to go. Doesn't stop us though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back