Best option for wifi onboard camper (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've currently got unlimited data on my phone and can tether other devices to it, but craftily Three limits the amount of data I can use when it's tethered, so unless I want to do everything on my phone, my usage is limited each month.
I don't mind buying some new device and/or service but what I really want is some kind of sim-card enabled device that is purely designed to pick up the phone network that I can tether a laptop and iPad to that will give me unlimited data each month.
Does such a thing exist?
Also, can I assume that most quality campsites offer wifi for guests?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Here you go!
A small company called Motorhome WiFi
They use a company that will fit the system on your drive, which takes about an hour.

We have found the system fairly good, although if there is zero/one bar of mobile coverage where you are parked, then it does not really work.
It's worth giving them a call as they have forgotten more about motorhome wifi than you will even learn !

Jun 24, 2020
FOLKESTONE KENT
Funster No
MH
Burstner A576
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've had a this one fitted from Motorhome Wifi.

Great bit of kit

5G Ready Flex​

5G Ready Antenna & 4G Flex Router
  • Vehicle or Home Use
  • Work From Your Van
  • Slim Wall Cradle
  • 300Mbps CAT 7
  • 4G LTE+ with Carrier Aggregation
  • 64 Wireless Devices, 4 Wired
  • 50-100m WiFi Range
  • LED Status Lights
  • Easy to use smart phone app

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
You're second question - No.
We have tried tethering - not got on with it.
Had a mi-fi system fitted by our van dealer - motorhome wifi 4g (I think) antenna & Huawei router + Smarty sim card. This seems so far to work well. We mainly go on CLs where often there is no site wifi (& sometimes no phone signal) and its been fine. Were at Dave & Polly's meet at Holbeach Hurn - mobile phone signal pretty much impossible, but our wifi was working fine.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I use a HUAWEI mifi with a roof mounted puck type aerial, at the moment I use a data sim from Scancom.store which gives me 60 go data a month. The one I have at the moment cost me around £40 one off upfront payment and it lasts around 4 months. When it expires I will just look for another deal.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
MotorhomeWiFi kit. Go for 4G. 5G I didn't think works so well outside of a large town but could be wrong...?

I have the 4G kit, works really well on the supplied Smarty SIM.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't mind buying some new device and/or service but what I really want is some kind of sim-card enabled device that is purely designed to pick up the phone network that I can tether a laptop and iPad to that will give me unlimited data each month.
Does such a thing exist?
Yes, it's usually called a mifi router. It's basically a gadget that does tethering just like your phone, and nothing else. So it doesn't need a speaker, microphone and a fancy screen, or a camera and all the other phone add-ons. It takes a SIM card, which needs paying for, either contract or pay-as-you-go. The best sim deal changes from week to week, so you need to shop around.

If this mifi is going in your motorhome, you could get one with external aerial connections. You can fit an external aerial, which will be bigger and better than the tiny aerial in your phone, so may pick up a better signal. If you're going to the trouble of mounting the aerial on the roof, with all the drilling and sealing, it makes sense to get a '5G Ready' aerial. This has extra elements that will pick up the 5G signal when it's available, but can still pick up 4G, 3G etc. Then if you ever decide to go for 5G, you'll need a new 5G mifi, but the roof aerial will be good to go.

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I've had a this one fitted from Motorhome Wifi.

Great bit of kit

5G Ready Flex​

5G Ready Antenna & 4G Flex Router
  • Vehicle or Home Use
  • Work From Your Van
  • Slim Wall Cradle
  • 300Mbps CAT 7
  • 4G LTE+ with Carrier Aggregation
  • 64 Wireless Devices, 4 Wired
  • 50-100m WiFi Range
  • LED Status Lights
  • Easy to use smart phone app
I'm getting one of these fitted to the motorhome in a couple of weeks.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Important to note that having an external aerial is very beneficial. If you go for a MiFi device without an external aerial, you have the same signal issues as a phone as the van can work as a shield to wireless, radio and phone signlas.

The Motorhomewifi kit recommended here essentially does a first-rate job of replicating your WiFi at home scenario; the 5G version does have the addition of fixed hardwired ports too if that's your thing...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back