Best Layout when traveling with a medium size dog (1 Viewer)

new camper

Free Member
Jan 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Devon Camper
Hi there I am looking for some tips before I purchase my first panel van conversion .
I am looking at buying a LWB camper such as a Devon or other Fiat Ducato based or similar and our main use is for days out occasioanal weeks away but with the addition of spending 2 months wintering in Spain or Portugal once the C19 situation is resolved going forward .
I just wonder how cramped it might be in one of these Campervans when compared to a motorhome but without going into the full blown pros and cons of one over the other I am asking if others have wintered OK in a large camper with a dog and if any particular lay out and vehicle is more suited over another

having spent several years caravaning we are used to the U shape lounge area of a caravan and I am attracted to this layout in a Pvan conversion but of course the width is narrower and not sure if this is a potential negative aspect over the larger bench style Van

Also what lenght of Van provides a front facing double seat for dinning as well as a rear perhaps smaller u shape lounge as well

Our dog is a springer - quite lively medium size who will be travelling with us

Thanks in advance for both positive and negative view points that may be helpful to our decision
New Camper

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The Devon is not really a van for winter use and cold weather, OK for summer.

Plenty of research required take your time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have a Springer & overwinter in Spain for 3 months most years in an Autosleeper Warwick Duo. Rear lounge layout, two singles or massive double bed. We put the dogs bed on the front passenger seat when we are parked up, although she tends to only use it at night. Plenty of room, & we like feet up lounging so the layout suits. We put covers on the seats as Molly could find a puddle in the Sahara, as I’m sure you know! 😀
ps Welcome!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

As CazPaul said, take your time and don’t get hung-up on any particular ‘type’ of ‘van - they all have their pluses and minuses......you may be surprised at what you end up with!:unsure::xwink:

OP
OP
N

new camper

Free Member
Jan 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Devon Camper
We have a Springer & overwinter in Spain for 3 months most years in an Autosleeper Warwick Duo. Rear lounge layout, two singles or massive double bed. We put the dogs bed on the front passenger seat when we are parked up, although she tends to only use it at night. Plenty of room, & we like feet up lounging so the layout suits. We put covers on the seats as Molly could find a puddle in the Sahara, as I’m sure you know! 😀
ps Welcome!
Thanks for the reply which is re assuring indeed - Can I ask what route you normally take and whether Ferry or chunnel etc
Do you use any particular awning . Will take a look at the W Duo Cheers N

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Hi
We always take the tunnel, as we don’t have to leave the dog, & usually just have a cup of tea whilst we travel! We meander down through France, staying on village Aires, & take either the Irun route to Spain, or South of France, depending on how we feel! Never decide until the day before where we are going to stop! We have a Thule awning attached to the van, but only put it out as a sunshade if it’s very hot - slightest breeze & it flaps about, even though we have storm straps! Don’t use it much on our winter stays, more in the summer! Did carry around a drive away awning for years, but as we tend to move fairly often never used it! More use I suspect in the UK, where it can be nice to have somewhere to dry dog & us, & hang wet waterproofs!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As well as the dog think about how you'll use it and what you'll want to take with you as you may decide on a fixed rear bed (either transverse or longitudinal singles (or massive kingsize) so that you have plenty of place for your kit.

We had 3 campers and took our 3 dogs away in them - we now only have the 2 small ones as we lost Romy in October (cross Greyhound/Staffie):

dogs 2 - r.jpg

They had their favourite spaces and although it was sometimes a bit of a case of watching where you stepped it wasn't a major issue, with just one dog it should be much easier - they used to love slobbing out on the fixed beds! We used PVCs in winter, both in the UK and abroad, and did over 2 months Dec 19 to Feb 20 in France/Spain without any problems at all, sometimes in sub-zero temperatures and a lot of just above freezing too with no problems with them at all.

We're similar to Stonemags76 in our use and even though we've now got an A-class as it is very similar in both size and layout to our PVCs so we still do as we did when we had them.

Oh, if you join as a full member you can get the 'Buyers Guide' from the resource section FOC, usually £7.99 to non-subscribers.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't think it's really pushing. The replys are clearly offering a source of good info, merely pointing out that you need to join, for £15, to take advantage.

But new camper there's loads of other stuff your £15 subscription gives you access to as well as an infinite number of posts - you're currently llimited to 5. (There, info offered too ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:!)

Oh, and finally, :welcome4:to the FUN!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When we were caravaning and took 3 dogs away with us we decided we needed more room.Moved from a 13 foot van to a 17 foot one...Made no difference to the space,,they all still wanted to sit close up to you,,BUSBY.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The best is a fixed bed with memory foam and a down duvet for the dog at night, cream leather bench seat for a cool snooze during the day. You can sit where you like.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Makes no difference to the dog what the layout is,it’ll always have the best spot! Just take lots of microfibres towels and one of those doggy drying bags.

:welcome4:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The best is a fixed bed with memory foam and a down duvet for the dog at night, cream leather bench seat for a cool snooze during the day. You can sit where you like.

Makes no difference to the dog what the layout is,it’ll always have the best spot! Just take lots of microfibres towels and one of those doggy drying bags.

:welcome4:
Because our Schnoodle travels on the dinette seat (harness on) and sleeps on the dinette seat it has become his "place", if I want to sit there to eat I have to budge him up, luckily he doesn't mind sharing and doesn't try to help himself to any plates of food on the table!

OP
OP
N

new camper

Free Member
Jan 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Devon Camper
Has anyone chosen the XL pvc over lwb and do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages when parking etc and how you cope with supermarket parking when touring thanks again will sort out joining 👍

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We have large L shape lounge with sofa on opposite. Part of the L shape has a seat fir seatbelts that you can remove a section for legs. This area has a swing door that’s used to support the cushions. We open the door so it leaves a cubby hole for my two to snuggle in and out of feet’s way. They are however small dogs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Has anyone chosen the XL pvc over lwb and do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages when parking etc and how you cope with supermarket parking when touring thanks again will sort out joining 👍
We had an LWB Autocruis Accent PVC at 6m and a couple of XLWB Globecar PVCs at 6.36m, internally the extra foot does make quite a difference obviously how much depends on the layout.

You obviously need to find longer parking places for the XLWB but that's the case with the LWB quite a lot of the time too as neither are short enough to fit in a single parking spot so you either take up 2 or do as we used to which was to find somewhere to hang their bums over. The axles for both are the same distance apart but obviously if turning round in a street, car park etc, the XLWB will need more room or take more turns to get round due to the extra length sticking out at the rear.

Another thing to consider is that XLWB models are usually based on the heavy chassis which has stronger suspension and disc brakes all round (LWB still has drums at the rear I think), plus the XLWB can be uprated to 4500kg as a paper exercise with no modifications as the axles are rated higher already (2100kg & 2400kg) , the LWB can normally only go up to 3850kg max without mods (1850kg & 2000kg).

Sep 12, 2021
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi there I am looking for some tips before I purchase my first panel van conversion .
I am looking at buying a LWB camper such as a Devon or other Fiat Ducato based or similar and our main use is for days out occasioanal weeks away but with the addition of spending 2 months wintering in Spain or Portugal once the C19 situation is resolved going forward .
I just wonder how cramped it might be in one of these Campervans when compared to a motorhome but without going into the full blown pros and cons of one over the other I am asking if others have wintered OK in a large camper with a dog and if any particular lay out and vehicle is more suited over another

having spent several years caravaning we are used to the U shape lounge area of a caravan and I am attracted to this layout in a Pvan conversion but of course the width is narrower and not sure if this is a potential negative aspect over the larger bench style Van

Also what lenght of Van provides a front facing double seat for dinning as well as a rear perhaps smaller u shape lounge as well

Our dog is a springer - quite lively medium size who will be travelling with us

Thanks in advance for both positive and negative view points that may be helpful to our decision
New Camper
Hello new camper. I’m also a first timer looking to buy a PVC to travel in with two dogs - a standard and a toy poodle. I’m interested to know if you bought one and what you chose, and how you are finding travelling with the dog? I’m thinking a fixed rear bed layout that we can all sleep and lounge on (they are usually lying all over me anyway), and it gives the garage storage below. I’m looking at 5.4m on the assumption that it will be easier to handle than a 6m or bigger.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
In addition to sleeping and lounging dogs also need a travel solution.

If our dogs travel on the fixed bed or on the floor then there is nowhere to secure their harnesses. It isn't safe to to fix seat belt attachment points to wood it has to be to metal attached to the chassis and it was very difficult to find suitable points.

The dinette seat has got 2 seat belt attachment points fitted but we found that the dinette seat is too narrow in width and depth to accommodate one medium-sized dog let alone two dogs for long-distance travelling. If there is just a blanket on the dinette seat then the dog is constantly trying to sit up but their feet were sliding out from under them causing them to have to sit up again. Not very comfortable.

We made a larger pad for just one dog by positioning a medium-sized dog bed on the dinette seat and secured it by running a strap around the dog bed and around the back of the seat. The dog harness could then be attached to a seat belt attachment point.

For our second dog we placed a a medium-sized dog bed on the floor In the table area and in front of dinette seat. There was nowhere to attach a harness and so we cut a neat circular hole in the front of the dinette seat and threaded the other seat belt attachment point under seat and then used a seat belt extension threaded through the hole for the dog harness to be attached.

The dogs also tended to use these positions for lounging and sleeping.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back