LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have travelled quite extensively throughout Spain, however we are always open to new ideas for places to stop over.
I like been within walking distance of bars and restaurants or if its got a wow factor view I will cook.

We will be getting the pont avan from Santander next Thursday so from Sunday or Monday (Currently on villasol camping Benidorm) heading up country.
We do car parks, aires and camp sites.
All ideas are gratefully received.
The sat nav is giving 2 options straight up via madrid or up the right side via Zaragoza.

Nov 13, 2013
Leics.
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Since 2000
If you want easy driving then the A23 to Zaragoza is the quickest and easiest.
Reasonably interesting going up the A23 but boring going up the toll road to Bilbao.
Camping Zaragoza was a dump when we stayed there a number of years ago, stay at the camperstop near the football ground if you wanted to go into Zaragoza (tram stop across the road).
We would stay at Carinena on the camperstop if we were in that area, easy walk into the centre of the small working town.
You wouldn't fit on the official camperstop as the spaces are only about 7 metres and the Guardia move you if you block the pavement, but we have seen a couple of 9metre Flair's in the parking alongside.

Going via Madrid is more interesting, easy enough and if you go via the N627 after Burgos all the way to Aguilar de Campoo to then join the A67 you will think you are driving in Derbyshire.
If you did take the N627 don't be tempted to take the N623 about a third of the way along this route or it will take you over three 3000ft passes. It is far easier to go over to the A67 to get to Santander.
Set your satnav to 'no tolls' if you take this route, you then go on a dual carriageway alongside the toll road as you near Madrid, then turn onto the M50 outer motorway adding about 1 mile to the toll journey.

Cabarceno at the elephant park is a good stop for the last night (no water or dump anymore). We then normally park up in the ferry queue early the next morning and go into the town for a last Spanish breakfast.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have travelled quite extensively throughout Spain, however we are always open to new ideas for places to stop over.
I like been within walking distance of bars and restaurants or if its got a wow factor view I will cook.

We will be getting the pont avan from Santander next Thursday so from Sunday or Monday (Currently on villasol camping Benidorm) heading up country.
We do car parks, aires and camp sites.
All ideas are gratefully received.
The sat nav is giving 2 options straight up via madrid or up the right side via Zaragoza.
You were the one who recommended Zaragoza to us Gareth, so I’m saying head that way - you know you want to really … :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
IMG_6529.jpeg

How about this route? Morella is absolutely stunning and there’s a great Aire there, I believe there’s a new road now but we did the journey from Benicassim a few years ago on the old roads and it wasn’t too bad. We stayed overnight at Bilbao on the site overlooking the city and there’s a bus from outside the entrance which runs regularly. Bilbao is well worth visiting and then it’s an easy drive to Santander, also worth spending a few hours looking around. IMG_6530.jpeg IMG_6531.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are scouring p4night to figure out a spot within 2 hours as I'm feeling lazy and not up for a full day's drive, plus its Sunday which usually means great food and drink day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We ended up just up the road at Benissuera, a lovely spot next to a lake. We will probably do a bit more driving tommorow.20230604_125540.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
View attachment 763756
How about this route? Morella is absolutely stunning and there’s a great Aire there, I believe there’s a new road now but we did the journey from Benicassim a few years ago on the old roads and it wasn’t too bad. We stayed overnight at Bilbao on the site overlooking the city and there’s a bus from outside the entrance which runs regularly. Bilbao is well worth visiting and then it’s an easy drive to Santander, also worth spending a few hours looking around. View attachment 763757 View attachment 763758
Thank you for the suggestion of morrelo.
It's a great aire overlooking the walled town, I especially liked that the town is famous for its black truffles and we got 2 in a snall jar a few years ago for a fraction of there true value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have travelled up to Calatayud as it was on phils list of place to visit from his lonely planet.
Going to pop out and try a local restaurant tonight.
Screenshot_20230605_172408_Maps.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Will be on the same ferry stopping at Haro the 2 nights before. Look out for a little Laika

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Will be on the same ferry stopping at Haro the 2 nights before. Look out for a little Laika
That's our next stop, we used to stop next to the leisure centre, but it was sometimes a bit noisy with dogs and Cockerells on a morning. We stopped at a free aire in the centre of town in March this is a much better location and I thoroughly recommend it. The Muga vineyard is nice for a wine tasting (other vineyards are available)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
That's our next stop, we used to stop next to the leisure centre, but it was sometimes a bit noisy with dogs and Cockerells on a morning. We stopped at a free aire in the centre of town in March this is a much better location and I thoroughly recommend it. The Muga vineyard is nice for a wine tasting (other vineyards are available)
We have been to the Muga wine testing, still have the glasses. We will be on the campsite though, got a failed extension lead and need mains for John's CPAP we have an inverter but would need an extension on that too really need to add a couple of mains sockets in more sensible places.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have been to the Muga wine testing, still have the glasses. We will be on the campsite though, got a failed extension lead and need mains for John's CPAP we have an inverter but would need an extension on that too really need to add a couple of mains sockets in more sensible places.
To be honest we don't bother with the tasting, we just call in and purchase cases of wine. Usally when we arrive and then leave spain.

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi Scotzsue , I am on the same ferry as you on Thurs met you at Bonterra look out for pilote 740 with the fun sticker on the back end .

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Will do, having a beer in Haro square can’t believe how hot it is have only been here when it is cooler 🍺🍺

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back