belt (1 Viewer)

M

maxx

Deleted User
hi jim hopr you are well we are fine but i have a question for you have been on cummings web site but no luck. one of my belts has broken i have part no.3000127 but what does it do and how do you fit it. it is not altrenator belt.can you help?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hi jim hopr you are well we are fine but i have a question for you have been on cummings web site but no luck. one of my belts has broken i have part no.3000127 but what does it do and how do you fit it. it is not altrenator belt.can you help?

Hi Max believe it or not
Not all cummings engines left the factory with belts fitted:Eeek:so any thing could have been fitted or replaced since
so unless its a dayco belt that part No could belong to anything
as for what is does what pullys have now not got a belt on?? air con power, steering, water pump
any name visisble on the belt
What vehicle have you got, what year is it, engine size, engine number/model
help us to help you:thumb:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

If it's not the main belt that drives the fan and alternator, it must be the belt for the air con. compressor which sits on top of the engine at the back on the left ( looking from the bottom of the bed) ? (It will have two heavy rubber pipes attached)

It's an easy belt to change, slacken the compressor mounting bolts and the slotted adjusting arm then push the compressor toward the engine..

The belt is a standard 'V' , with cross section 'B' .. I suggest you take the old belt to a Cummins agent with your engine number, there is a list of agents on the Cummins site, or to a motor factors, preferably one that deals with truck spares or to a belt supplier such as Mercury Bearings.

If still unsure take a pic and post ..

Hope that helps

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

maxx

Deleted User
thanks that is where it is but how do you get belt over the fan belt shaft?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks that is where it is but how do you get belt over the fan belt shaft?

Hi

Push the belt over the top fan blade then turn the fan by hand feeding the belt over each blade.
It's a tight squeeze, but it can be done.. keep the first aid kit handy for skinned knuckles..

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds like you need a mechanic Maxx, you seem to have limited knowledge and the task may involve removing other belts or components that will require re fitting and tensioning,
there is no such item as a fan belt shaft in my vocabulary:cry:
Geo
just re read my post and it comes over rather patronising my apologies , i dont want you to get too deep and cause more trouble than your in

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maxx

Deleted User
thanks no you dont sound patronising and you are right my knowledge is limited .But i try to do things myself if i can as then i have learnt something.I am always ready to listen an learn if i can.So will have a look and if beyond me then i shall get a mechanic to do it.What will happen if i run engine without this a/c belt if i have to take her to a garage?

OP
OP
M

maxx

Deleted User
:Smile::Smile:thanks jim that makes me feel alot better.Will try to do it myself if not well have to get a mechanic on the job

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Smile::Smile:thanks jim that makes me feel alot better.Will try to do it myself if not well have to get a mechanic on the job

I'm sure you can do it.If you haven't already got a replacement don't forget to take the old one with you or measure it for a correct replacement and belt "v" angle:thumb:

I replaced all of mine earlier this year as some B++++R had Bodged it to disconnect the Air-Con compressor in the interests of saving fuel.

Then it's a case of setting up the initial tension of the belt remembering to recheck it after a few miles running as they can "give" a bit.

All the Best....Steve.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back