LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi just after some advice on batteries.

Today as i was just off night shift i was having a lazy day and then decided to go and pick up all the leaves from the garden and as there are loads i find the best way to do this is using my ride on lawn mower. This is where the problem starts as i haven't used it since beginning of oct the battery was flat.

Took a while but here is the question the small battery says its 12v so could i use jump leads to start this off the car as i have loaned my battery charger to someone or would it cause damage

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i dont see why not gerry but i would leave it connected for a little while before starting the mower just to give the battery a little chance to redeem some charge.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Gerry I have done this with my Brother-in-law's ride on mower. As Aba said leave it soak for a few minutes. It certainly hasn't caused any problems with his mower.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks guys i thought it would be but not 100% sure will give it a go in morning there is still a little life in it just not enough to turn over engine and i cant be bothered raking them all as that would be like hard work :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
The battery on my ride on is flat too and was wondering if a solar charger - the sort they use on electric fencing would work. Any thoughts anyone?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi just after some advice on batteries.

Today as i was just off night shift i was having a lazy day and then decided to go and pick up all the leaves from the garden and as there are loads i find the best way to do this is using my ride on lawn mower. This is where the problem starts as i haven't used it since beginning of oct the battery was flat.

Took a while but here is the question the small battery says its 12v so could i use jump leads to start this off the car as i have loaned my battery charger to someone or would it cause damage

To answer your question Yes.........on one of my ride on mowers the battery (about two years ago) would go flat after several weeks of no use..... in constant weekly use it would be no problem....I have two ride on tractors,....so I try to alternate the two tractors.... one tractor is a side chuck-er with one 36" blade...I use this one for the long and wet grass.when I come back after a month + away.. the other has a large rear discharge for finer cut on dry grass with a large catcher at the rear.... I use both tractors for the leaves that fall at this time of year.....one tractor will suck the leaves up like a vacuum then I add them to the compost heap...or the side chuck-er this chops them up into tiny bits like confetti to leave on the grass

On the battery that did use to go flat I now I use one of those Lidl or Aldi small smart chargers cost about 12 euros... that you leave on the battery all the time ....they charge and discharge and de-sulphur the battery ....Brill never had any problems since ..like these below

c5aliveinfo004.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks Mal I actually have that charger just that I have loaned it to someone and won't see the until at work next week. Will try jump starting it tomorrow will let you know if it blows up lol

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Not another flat battery Gerry you are a bit to far away for a jump start this time.
Should be no problem jump starting your mower as long as you are sure it is 12v.
Remember your running time competition, my prize was a small solar charger kindly donated by Peter at Johns Cross. I have been using this on a transit van that i only use occasionally the alarm always discharged the battery after a while but this small solar panel has kept it charged over the summer not so sure about the winter though.
They had the battery conditioners on sale for £12.99 at our local Aldi today

Cheers dave e

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Dave

Not having much luck with batteries yes i checked it today and it had big writing on it say 12V so should have it started and all my leaves collected in no time.

Thants interesting about the solar charger Dave as i was thinking of getting one just to stick on the MH in case there's no friendly campers around to give me a jump :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Gerry

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi folks just to say thanks for the advice got the ride on started after 5 mins soak, so no excuse now I have to tidiy garden today

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back