Battery power running low on a field - do we need to go home?

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Can anyone pls suggest how to get my panel van leisure battery up to a point where it will run the gas heating for another night on this holiday taking place in freezing temperatures?
I wonder if all we have to do is run the engine for a bit? Or do we need to travel a few miles or just go hI’m e!!!!!!
it’s reading one yellow dot on the truma 6 panel and has two red dots to go. :(

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Running the engine a bit won't put anything like enough in, it would need a good run which is better for the engine anyway rather than idling for ages. Other threads mantion the drawbacks to idling a modern engine.
That’s not good news……… but thanks for reply

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Can anyone pls suggest how to get my panel van leisure battery up to a point where it will run the gas heating for another night on this holiday taking place in freezing temperatures?
I wonder if all we have to do is run the engine for a bit? Or do we need to travel a few miles or just go hI’m e!!!!!!
it’s reading one yellow dot on the truma 6 panel and has two red dots to go. :(
Run your engine for up to half an hour and batteries should have enough life. Never let your batteries go below 11volts. Below this and you can more or less destroy them. Not ideal treatment but will overcome your problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do you have a B2B? if so take the van for an hours drive that should give you enough charge, if you don't have a B2B it will take several hours of driving to get a reasonable charge into the battery.
Only as a last resort run the engine stationary, on a modern diesel you risk thousands of pounds of damage as they never get up to operating temperature ticking over from cold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If it was me and as a very last resort I'd wire the hab electrics to the starter battery but making sure that I didn't run it so low that it wouldn't start the engine. You need to be a bit clued up with electrics to do it though.
Luckily, my m/h has a rocker switch that enables me to select to power the hab electrics from either the leisure or the starter battery.
Or if there was a risk of terminal domestic unrest I'd nip to a motor factors and buy another fully charged battery.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Where are you, take it for a spin, see some sight , get some lunch and enjoy it.

b2b is the best option , is there maybe another site near with EHU?

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
If it was me and as a very last resort I'd wire the hab electrics to the starter battery but making sure that I didn't run it so low that it wouldn't start the engine. You need to be a bit clued up with electrics to do it though.
Luckily, my m/h has a rocker switch that enables me to select to power the hab electrics from either the leisure or the starter battery.
Or if there was a risk of terminal domestic unrest I'd nip to a motor factors and buy another fully charged battery.
Anything for a quiet life………

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Where are you, take it for a spin, see some sight , get some lunch and enjoy it.

b2b is the best option , is there maybe another site near with EHU?
Could do but snow, snow snowing.

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
If you are away on holiday, why not just go to a campsite which has EHU for an overnight stop? Recharge your batteries and continue your break rather than heading home early?
It’s a thought

Reactions: CWH

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
do you have a b2b installed?

its all experience, the thing to do is take it in your stride and try and enjoy whatevercomes your way. :) good luck let us know how you get on

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
do you have a b2b installed?

its all experience, the thing to do is take it in your stride and try and enjoy whatevercomes your way. :) good luck let us know how you get on
No B2B but something to think about for the future!

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
If you are at risk of getting snowed in you don't want to risk having no battery, I'd get outa there.
I wonder does the gas heating take much power from the battery?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Anything for a quiet life………
Seriously, I'd buy a starter battery (which is less expensive than a pukkah leisure battery) to run the hab system temporarily and you can then keep it topped up at home to use as a spare hab or starter battery.
I have two spare ones at home on permanent charge from a smart charger so always have a good one available for my family's several vehicles . If I'm going off-grid for an extended period I take one with me that I can connect up in extremis if I have a low voltage hab or cab one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Seriously, I'd buy a starter battery which (is less expensive than a pukkah leisure battery) to run the hab system temporarily and you can then keep it topped up at home to use as a spare hab or starter battery.
I have two spare ones at home on permanent charge from a smart charger so always have a good one available for my family's several vehicles . If I'm going off-grid for an extended period I take one with me that I can connect up in extremis if I have a low voltage hab or cab one.
We have a fully charged Bluetti 700 watts. We could try topping up leisure battery through EHU on van if that would give any useful charge?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
your bluetti will get you about 20-25 ah into the ehu if it s full

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wonder does the gas heating take much power from the battery?
I think you have a Truma Combi, takes about 6 amps on startup with the fan blowing full pelt once the van reaches temperature and the fan drops to a minimum then about 1 amp (current will vary at inbetween fan speeds). If you were running it from say 4pm until 11 pm in this cold weather it would probably use about 16 to 20 ah.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Run your engine for up to half an hour and batteries should have enough life. Never let your batteries go below 11volts. Below this and you can more or less destroy them. Not ideal treatment but will overcome your problem.
Funny thing is my 4 year old leisure battery has (accidentally) been run totally flat about 3 times over the years, but when fully charged again, it holds at 13.4 volts perfectly - for several weeks in storage. Maybe I'm just lucky.

68c

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Where are you? There may be a funster nearby who can help. Judging from your snow concerns not in the south I suppose.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We have a fully charged Bluetti 700 watts. We could try topping up leisure battery through EHU on van if that would give any useful charge?
That is a good idea. It has a 537Wh lithium battery, that is equivalent to 537/12 = 45 Ah of 12V battery energy. You can plug it into the standard EHU inlet if you have the right adapters. As funflair has already warned, be careful to keep the fridge on gas, it will probably automatically switch to 240V if you connect the Bluetti, so you'll have to manually set it back to gas.

If the Bluetti runs low, you might even be able to persuade someone, in a pub or cafe maybe, to charge it again, maybe for a small fee. It's only half a kilowatt-hour so won't exactly run up a huge bill.

Likes collected
Funster No
If its only a one off it will not be the end of the world if as long as it will not disturb anyone to run the engine at a fast idle, you will get a little in the battery and when the engine warms up. Gain a little heat from there, but ideally take it for a run. When you first start the engine water is formed in the exhaust and if done a lot will rust out. Condensation forms in the oil unless it is brought up to temp

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Like many on here, I'd always believed leaving the engine idling from cold was not good.

However, during lockdown I received an email from Jaguar to run the car (diesel) initially for 30 minutes with the internal temperature set to 22c (?), and thereafter run the engine for just 15 minutes every subsequent week the car wasn't driven.

Which is exactly what I did. Only time will tell if any long term harm has been caused... ? :unsure:

Checking in to a campsite with a hook-up for a night sounded like a good idea to me however. (y)

OP
OP
Dancers

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Like many on here, I'd always believed leaving the engine idling from cold was not good.

However, during lockdown I received an email from Jaguar to run the car (diesel) initially for 30 minutes with the internal temperature set to 22c (?), and thereafter run the engine for just 15 minutes every subsequent week the car wasn't driven.

Which is exactly what I did. Only time will tell if any long term harm has been caused... ? :unsure:

Checking in to a campsite with a hook-up for a night sounded like a good idea to me however. (y)
Thanks to all the Funsters who replied, we have learned a lot. Good to know we could use the bluettI if desperate, but will head home as weather seems to be getting worse too. Seasons greetings to everyone, see you at the shows hopefully. :cold:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back