Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Howdy Funsters.
Got a bit of a puzzle.
Moho been standing for 6 weeks and had cab battery on charge.
Checked voltage to 12. 7v and went to start.

Bit sluggish to turn over but did on first attempt.
Just took for 40 mile run with no issues, heater and lights on. Van ran really well.
Got back and switched off lights, heater and then engine.Realised I needed to move her again so went to start, and now no turnover at all but battery still showing 12.7v.
Checked previously as to voltage when running from alternator and got 13.9v.
Is this battery knackered.? I have heard of batteries failing, once they start, rapidly if not instantaneously.
It's got to be at least 2.5 years old and was on the van when we bought it in August 18.
Battery is a Yuasa, van is a 1.9 fiat Ducato td. 2001 year.
Thanks for advice /suggestions.
Captain Yoghurtpot.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's the right time of the year for a failing battery to finally give up, as the cold weather thickens engine oil and reduces the battery power. However it's possibly a bad connection somewhere, causing resistance and voltage drop.

Check the battery connections are clean and tight. Check the earth straps between the engine and bodywork, and between the battery and bodywork. Clip a jump lead between the battery negative and the engine metal to bypass the earth straps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
It's the right time of the year for a failing battery to finally give up, as the cold weather thickens engine oil and reduces the battery power. However it's possibly a bad connection somewhere, causing resistance and voltage drop.

Check the battery connections are clean and tight. Check the earth straps between the engine and bodywork, and between the battery and bodywork. Clip a jump lead between the battery negative and the engine metal to bypass the earth straps.
Thanks for that.
On a good battery, what would be a good consistent reading from cold standing?
This battery has never showed above 12.7v, and even after charge from a charger it has gone upto 13. 8v, but within a few days is languishing in the 12.7 to 12.5v range having crept slowly down, with only the alarm connected and no other load.
In the summer, no issues with starting, and non last winter either.
And as the reading once started was at 13.8v, would that suggest the alternator is working fine?, but just that the battery can no longer store enough power to start.
Sorry to be a pain. 😢

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
12.7 to 12.8 is about the resting voltage for a fully charged battery. When float-charging, the voltage is about 13.6 to 13.8V. When the charger is disconnected, the battery gradually settles to its resting voltage of 12.7 to 12.8V, over a period of several hours. I'd normally be looking to recharge the battery when it gets down to 12.2V.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
12.7 to 12.8 is about the resting voltage for a fully charged battery. When float-charging, the voltage is about 13.6 to 13.8V. When the charger is disconnected, the battery gradually settles to its resting voltage of 12.7 to 12.8V, over a period of several hours. I'd normally be looking to recharge the battery when it gets down to 12.2V.
Thanks
Will try a jump start and/or charging lead as an earth as per your suggestion.
Am just wondering though if the battery has just suddenly died.
Bit of a head scratcher this one.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Load test the battery. Device available from MachineMart fo about £30. Good investment. And do add an extra earth lead as those ages of van had quite flimsy ones. Add an extra one from negative post to engine block and from gearbox to body. Cheap and easy to do

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds like a loose connection to me, either at the battery or starter motor, or the other end of an earth strap.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Have just fired her up no problem,in about 1 second, and 1turnover,and as yet to touch anything.
Looked under bonnet and cannot see any loose or damaged earth wires.
Went to start her again just now, and this time again started, but very sluggish on the pull and about 3seconds to fire and several turnovers.
Weird!
Keep the advice coming guys, I am most grateful.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Yep, corrosion on the cable attaching to starter. As it cranks it vibrates. I had intermittent starting fault just like that. You can load test with headlights and ignition on, no cranking. If lights on voltage dips below 12v, batt is goosed. In my case I had to redo the lug that goes to the starter bolt and the spade connector that energises the starter coil. It disintegrated when I tried to clean it. You should be able to start it at 12,4v and then let the alternator do some charging, don’t put the lights, fan on.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks for the replies folks.
Dark now, so have put her to bed until tomorrow and will fully check all cables.
Just wish I knew what I was looking at.
Anyone got any pictures please?
Thanks in advance. 🤗

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks for the replies folks.
Dark now, so have put her to bed until tomorrow and will fully check all cables.
Just wish I knew what I was looking at.
Anyone got any pictures please?
Thanks in advance. 🤗
As mentioned above put jump lead from negative of battery to engine block temporarily and see how engine cranks. This tells you if earth is crap (if it cures engine start).

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
As an add on to this subject. As it is now the Cold season we are starting to get Batteries which are fine in the Summer now become very laboured when trying to crank over vans. I got this problem with my mower too. I have looked around for a small compact Boost charger and just taken delivery of a TrekPow booster which I must say am very impressed with. I will keep in the motorhome (fully charged) and even if I dont use it I am sure there will be a fellow camper in distress who I will be able to assist. I looked at the reviews and videos on this then saw it was on Amazon with a 20% discount so bought it. It is also great for other things like running a 12v tv and charging mobiles. Worth a look. Good xmas box. Screenshot 2020-11-15 085120.pngOh and it only measures 8inches
Screenshot 2020-11-15 085120.png

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Howdy Funsters.
Got a bit of a puzzle.

Just took for 40 mile run with no issues, heater and lights on. Van ran really well.
Got back and switched off lights, heater and then engine.Realised I needed to move her again so went to start, and now no turnover at all but battery still showing 12.7v.
Is this battery knackered.? I have heard of batteries failing, once they start, rapidly if not instantaneously.
It's got to be at least 2.5 years old and was on the van when we bought it in August 18.
Captain Yoghurtpot.
If your battery showing 13.9 then fine, check terminals or starter motor poss sticking? Or alternator not charging. A garage will check those items for free

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
As an add on to this subject. As it is now the Cold season we are starting to get Batteries which are fine in the Summer now become very laboured when trying to crank over vans. I got this problem with my mower too. I have looked around for a small compact Boost charger and just taken delivery of a TrekPow booster which I must say am very impressed with. I will keep in the motorhome (fully charged) and even if I dont use it I am sure there will be a fellow camper in distress who I will be able to assist. I looked at the reviews and videos on this then saw it was on Amazon with a 20% discount so bought it. It is also great for other things like running a 12v tv and charging mobiles. Worth a look. Good xmas box.View attachment 440901Oh and it only measures 8inchesView attachment 440901
As an aside to my problem, I have been thinking about one of these devices for the same issues as you highlight.
Thanks for the heads up.👍

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
If your battery showing 13.9 then fine, check terminals or starter motor poss sticking? Or alternator not charging. A garage will check those items for free
Thanks. Definitely know alternator is charging ok.
Will look at earthing straps and terminal connections when rain stops, sometime next May! 😂😂😂

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Yep, corrosion on the cable attaching to starter. As it cranks it vibrates. I had intermittent starting fault just like that. You can load test with headlights and ignition on, no cranking. If lights on voltage dips below 12v, batt is goosed. In my case I had to redo the lug that goes to the starter bolt and the spade connector that energises the starter coil. It disintegrated when I tried to clean it. You should be able to start it at 12,4v and then let the alternator do some charging, don’t put the lights, fan on.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Had a similar issue with my old car a few months ago. Went out and bought a new battery.......starts first time now.

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
During the first lockdown, the MH being in storage , with no solar I invested in a Noco 2000A lithium battery. Silly money really especially when you add on the cost of a mains charger. However I have found it useful , I use it if the MH has been stood for awhile- no point stressing a partially discharged battery. Plus there are many other uses with 12v and usb out.

Jan 1, 2017
Brandon, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2014
Howdy Funsters.
Got a bit of a puzzle.

Captain Yoghurtpot.
Howdy, I had similar on/ off problem this year, good battery voltage, alternator putting out good charge etc. The culprit was poor and corroded contact between the engine earth strap. Sparks everywhere!.
cleaned it off, new bolt and hey presto.

Mar 17, 2017
Heathfield, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol 2001
Exp
Since 2001
Yes, I had the same problem last winter. Couldn't work out what the problem was, bought new battery no difference. Bought a new EARTH Strap, put it on in different position as couldn't get the old one off. Started first time solved the problem instantly.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
with an intermittent fault i like to disconnect everything and reconnect its amazing how often you find something loose

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Mine did exactly the same, was a new battery and all that was wrong was the earth clamp to the battery was loose tightened it up all was well, try that first.

May 21, 2020
Blairgowrie and Rattray, Blairgowrie, UK
Funster No
MH
Class B
Exp
Since 2018
I had a similar mystery. Turned on ignition and not enough power to start. Lights working fine. Then not working. ???

The solution was elementary my dear watson.

The vehicle battery was almost dead. When I turned on the ignition there was just enough juice to close the relay to the habitation battery. That powered the lights.

When I tried to start it, the hab fuse blew and I got really confused.

I suggest disconnecting the habitation battery just to ensure your symptoms are just down to the vehicle battery and its circuits. If your hab battery was shorting out it could be the cause.

Then I am with the herd to replace the earth strap.

If you get a new battery from Euro car parts then you get a 5 year guarantee. I got a replacement battery from them after 6 months no argument.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Yes, I had the same problem last winter. Couldn't work out what the problem was, bought new battery no difference. Bought a new EARTH Strap, put it on in different position as couldn't get the old one off. Started first time solved the problem instantly.
Would it be possible to see a photo of the earth strap if you have time, I have no idea where it is....

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
You can add as many extra earth straps as you like.
Choose easily accessed bolt on engine block, gearbox etc... and attach other end to wheel arch, brackets holding radiator or any where else that registers earth connection from a simple multimeter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back