Battery/Electronics Tidy Up Help/Ideas... (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Since buying our Hymer back in September, I have been working my way though a list of jobs; fixing broken bits, sorting bodges and installing new equipment.

The battery location/set up has bugged me since we bought it.

As shown below, this is the view from the driver's door (LHD). The EBL 4 - 105 is located under the seat. The previous owner has used what looks like a piece of kitchen worktop in the door foot well and covered the battery with what looked like a cut up kitchen door and it's a mess...that's before you realise the battery cable colours are the wrong way around! :doh:

My plan is to change out 2x Lead Acid for 1x Lithium 100Ah and Install solar panel (200W).

I intend on locating the battery where the current battery on the left of the photo is located. The EBL is under the seat and there appears to be some room under there for additional electrical components.

To make the swap from lead acid to lithium, I will need a B2B charger, I would like a bluetooth shunt, a solar MPPT controller and I assume I will need to install a new 240v mains charger given the age of my EBL?

At this early stage I think once I have removed the seat I will be able to decide which components will fit either under the seat or adjacent to the battery on the left.

I can then remove the battery out of the foot well and burn the worktop that is currently around it. I have tried and failed to find a replacement Merc Sprinter foot well so it looks like I will probably have to make something more suitable.

So does my plan seem reasonable?

Any suggestions for tidying up the foot well once all the gubbins have been removed as beneath it is just the metal body shell?

20210201_133303.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
This thread might help.

OP
OP
Jake vE
Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
This thread might help.

Cheers, I have been reading in anticipation as you have been doing this and it has been the motivator to push me into sorting mine! I think I just need a sense check before I start.... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
that's before you realise the battery cable colours are the wrong way around!
Brits are often surprised by cable colours. Standard German auto colours are brown = negative, black = positive. Not red = positive, black = negative as in the UK. Best to label them unambiguously to avoid confusion.

Presumable whoever wired the second battery decided to stick with black for positive, then had only red wire to connect the negative. :banghead::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back