Battery Confusion (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I've been looking at different batteries and more or less decided on an AGM which is very expensive but should I opt for a cheaper 'sealed' battery? I've got dual setting on my charger would a sealed until need to be set on Gel? I'm trying to avoid the venting type wet battery. It's all too much.... just to buy a battery!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've got dual setting on my charger would a sealed until need to be set on Gel?

no.. it's the same setting as a 'wet'

whether you buy AGM or cheaper FLA (flooded lead acid) is up to you.. and your budget..
personally I always buy cheap FLAs.. they may not have as long a life as an AGM but are lot cheaper to replace.. 'bang for buck' hard to beat

If I were spending more on a battery it would be for a flooded deep cycle battery.. such as Trojan

now you will get a dozen or more posts all with different opinions.. confusing , isn't it..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say what your usage is, if you spend a lot of time off grid a Gel would be a good choice as they can take an 80% DOD but they take twice as long to re-charge as a wet cell, AMG is a half way house the DOD is not quite as good as a Gel but better than a wet cell, a wet cell.
If you go for a AGM most manufacturers recommend the Gel setting on the charger (check with battery manufacturer), however set to Gel the AGM battery will never quite reach a full charge, however in the Gel setting the charger holds the max voltage for longer so in practice it makes little difference.
For example an Elektroblock charger in wet cell seting charges to 14.3v holds at 14.3 for 1hour then reduces to 13.8v, in Gel mode it charges to 14.3v holds at 14.3v for 8 hours then reduces to 13.8v. An AGM battery needs 14.8v to fully charges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have two Victron 130 amp AGM deep cycle batteries and have my m/home charger set to gel and my solar controller set to sealed.

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
no.. it's the same setting as a 'wet'

whether you buy AGM or cheaper FLA (flooded lead acid) is up to you.. and your budget..
personally I always buy cheap FLAs.. they may not have as long a life as an AGM but are lot cheaper to replace.. 'bang for buck' hard to beat

If I were spending more on a battery it would be for a flooded deep cycle battery.. such as Trojan

now you will get a dozen or more posts all with different opinions.. confusing , isn't it..
For of grid use traction wet are the best Trojan.Rolls and other similar golf buggy are ok or ups

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Delivered as per ordered, fixed in, nice snug fit all fine. Now have 2 x Varta LFD 75 on eBay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back