Bailey Approach Autograph 765 MX15CTY (1 Viewer)

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
Morning Funsters,
My sister & BIL are looking to purchase their first MH as soon as the lockdown lifts,in the next 3 weeks by the looks of things,
they've spotted this at a dealer near Preston which they really like .
Does anyone on here know this particular vehicle or have owned this model?
Any good points or bad ?
Cheers
Kev 1590482668815.png
1590482668815.png

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I've just checked the details on DVLA they show the revenue weight as 3217kg I don't believe this is correct. In the Bailey brochure the MAM is 3850kg and the unladen weight is 3217kg.
Your bil will need a C1 licence to drive the van and it may need to be corrected on the DVLA database. The ved should be £165 pa.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• approach-advance-brochure.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
OP
OP
kevntrace
Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
I've just checked the details on DVLA they show the revenue weight as 3217kg I don't believe this is correct. In the Bailey brochure the MAM is 3850kg and the unladen weight is 3217kg.
Your bil will need a C1 licence to drive the van and it may need to be corrected on the DVLA database. The ved should be £165 pa.
I noticed this myself,the correct MAM is,like you say 3850kg,I'll let my sister know & if the wish to purchase the dealer can correct this.
As for the BILs licence,he has HGV class1 so no problems there.

Thanks too raysalaugh, looking on the dealer website they get 5star ratings,but on google reviews there's a mixed bag. You had any dealings with campbells ?

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
I noticed this myself,the correct MAM is,like you say 3850kg,I'll let my sister know & if the wish to purchase the dealer can correct this.
As for the BILs licence,he has HGV class1 so no problems there.

Thanks too raysalaugh, looking on the dealer website they get 5star ratings,but on google reviews there's a mixed bag. You had any dealings with campbells ?
Yes we've bought 2 caravans from them. Motorhomes were at a smaller SEP site but all in one place now. Overall they wee a good dealer. Never had any quibbles when sorting out warranty work and when booking for service they always tried to fit in you our requirements if they could. Service people were good and looked at and gave us extra red keys for the motormover isolation switch - for free because if asked a question whilst having a service done. Salesmen were always helpful but not pushy. It won't be perfect non are but they operate from the right ethos. (Find nearby Preston Caravans very push, very - buy it don't buy it we don't care. And at the NEC tried to sell me a Motorhome because I stood still for a microsecond on Thier carpet) maybe good service I don't know, they've been too pushy for us to find out by using them lol. Great accessory shop good prices and knowledgeable helpful staff . And a great cafe, homemade cake. Just for balance lol

OP
OP
kevntrace
Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
Thanks for your input steadycam,I'll be passing all the comments on to my sister & they can make their own minds up.
It's good to get some honest reviews from honest people.
thanks

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
O think scousebird had one ?
We did have a Bailey but not that model. We had it for 4.5 years from new and was very happy with it. The only problems we had with it were small silly things like a bit of sealant missing around the shower tray.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010

[/QUOTE]
No, never dealt with Campbells, they seem to get mixed reviews so depends how much aftersales may be
required. Does your BiL live near Campbells or would they have to travel from afar if there is a need to return.

OP
OP
kevntrace
Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015

No, never dealt with Campbells, they seem to get mixed reviews so depends how much aftersales may be
required. Does your BiL live near Campbells or would they have to travel from afar if there is a need to return.
[/QUOTE]
Thats the problem they may have, if any warranty work is required, they live just outside Newcastle-upon-Tyne, so about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way. But i believe the warranty is with an independent company so any registered motorhome repairer can do the work.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Campbells and Preston are run by two brothers who had a fall out and went their separate ways so the reviews might be attributed to the wrong site or the old company.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Thats the problem they may have, if any warranty work is required, they live just outside Newcastle-upon-Tyne, so about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way. But i believe the warranty is with an independent company so any registered motorhome repairer can do the work.
Some companies will not take on insurance backed warranty work because they don't pay the going rate for labour. They should check the policy that they are being offered to see what the terms are. Also they should check if the warranty covers the work needed to diagnose the problem some don't.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we have a Bailey Approach Autograph 745 (4 berth/4 belted seats)

only had it since December but so far its had no issues whatsoever.

i have added a few things and will be adding a few more (minor additions/modifications) to make it 'ours' - but they are purely based on how we like things.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I would suggest that they put the van on a weighbridge before committing. The axle llimits are 1850kg front and 2000kg rear according to the service manual. Also check the tyres for size and load rating.
On my Bailey 740 (uses the same chassis) although under the mam the rear axle was close to limit and I added air suspension to increase it to 2240kg
Also although the bike rack is rated at 60kg I'm never sure that the fixings through the wall are sufficient to take that load. I am actively thinking of having a chassis mounted bike rack fitted to take 2 electric bikes.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Make sure that they are aware that Baileys are wider than most of the other Van's on the road. Hence why they have oodles of lovely interior space. This isnt necessarily a problem as such, just something that you become accustomed to and make allowances for but it can come as a bit of a shock when you first drive one! It certainly did me but didnt stop me buying another one.........

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Make sure that they are aware that Baileys are wider than most of the other Van's on the road. Hence why they have oodles of lovely interior space. This isnt necessarily a problem as such, just something that you become accustomed to and make allowances for but it can come as a bit of a shock when you first drive one! It certainly did me but didnt stop me buying another one.........
It is also a good reason to for white covers to the wing mirrors. On the model that they are considering the mirrors blend into the van colour, and on coming traffic cannot see how wide you are.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It is also a good reason to for white covers to the wing mirrors. On the model that they are considering the mirrors blend into the van colour, and on coming traffic cannot see how wide you are.
Or as I did on the R V. Day glow orange on the mirrors!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Need to check carefully for damp, a lot of Baileys have had problems with soggy floors delaminating.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Need to check carefully for damp, a lot of Baileys have had problems with soggy floors delaminating.
We had a 2013 Approach 740, major issues with damp, it went back to the factory. On a 2015 a 6 year water ingress warranty was standard (extension to 10 years a cost option), which I think was transferrable. Required annual check- they might want to check it’s still valid (at least for next year or so.)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We had a 2013 Approach 740, major issues with damp, it went back to the factory. On a 2015 a 6 year water ingress warranty was standard (extension to 10 years a cost option), which I think was transferrable. Required annual check- they might want to check it’s still valid (at least for next year or so.)
i recently extended my warranty on a 2015 to a 10 year warranty, using the company recommended by Bailey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back