Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Taken advice from funsters and had van weighed, fully loaded, using the axel weights and the chart supplied by Continental I am now able to set the correct tyre pressures.
Quite a big difference from the manufactures pressure, front 72psi from Fiat 53 psi from conti.Rear 79 Fiat, 64 psi conti.thinking the front tyres might look a bit flat but we will see off to them get checked.

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
Hi Mike
To put this into context, what are your max axle weights and the actual weights, also what are your tyre sizes and total weight?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
front tyres might look a bit flat
Ours looked a bit under inflated when set to what Continental advise but I have to remind myself that they are not low profile tyres.
I think we are used to seeing low profile tyres on virtually ever vehicle now so the splay at the bottom is less noticeable. Also, most motorhome tyres are generally over inflated to 80psi rear and at least 65psi front following Michelin advice which is based on ETRTO guidance.
If your weights are correct and you’ve followed the chart correctly then as far as I am concerned Continental know best.
We have much better ride quality and less temperature/pressure variation using Continentals guidance.
When we inflated our previous CP tyres to 80psi on the rear they got much hotter and the pressures increased alarmingly, nearing 100psi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, you're right, big difference but looks about right.
After a lot of digging to find the right contact at Bridgestone... he advised the correct pressures for mine was 53psi front & rear on the same sized tyre [I was 70kg heavier on front...

It was confirmed by Techno's clever spreadsheet... which suggests 53psi on the front, 55psi on the rear based on your weights.

You can actually contact Continental, and they will give you their recommendation based on weighbridge results and tyres fitted.
https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/contact/contact-technical

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We use the Continental recommendation and the ride is so much better.

Once up to running temperature very little change in pressure or temperature unlike when set to Fiat pressures.

OP
OP
Mike p
Sep 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Ours looked a bit under inflated when set to what Continental advise but I have to remind myself that they are not low profile tyres.
I think we are used to seeing low profile tyres on virtually ever vehicle now so the splay at the bottom is less noticeable. Also, most motorhome tyres are generally over inflated to 80psi rear and at least 65psi front following Michelin advice which is based on ETRTO guidance.
If your weights are correct and you’ve followed the chart correctly then as far as I am concerned Continental know best.
We have much better ride quality and less temperature/pressure variation using Continentals guidance.
When we inflated our previous CP tyres to 80psi on the rear they got much hotter and the pressures increased alarmingly, nearing 100psi.
When had test drive I was in the back lookin for a rattle we where in the dealers premises my lovely lady was driving very slowly over a speed hump I left the seat and hit the roof that’s when I figured that 80psi was a touch to high

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Hi Alan
Tyres 215/70/R15 CP
MTPLM Front 2100
Rear 2400
Actual front 1670
Rear 1730
Total weight 3500

Seems strange that the tyres are 15" yet the pemissible axle weights are 2100kg front and 2400kg rear.

The permissible rear axle weight on 15" tyres is usually 2000kg.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Seems strange that the tyres are 15" yet the pemissible axle weights are 2100kg front and 2400kg rear.

The permissible rear axle weight on 15" tyres is usually 2000kg.
Depends on the load rating but if they are 109 then maximum axle load is 2060kg.

Martin

OP
OP
Mike p
Sep 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
B53CB193-5270-429B-9DF3-5ED51ED4D703.png

Got the details from Auto sleepers handbook, it’s a Fiat chassis not Peugeot. But guess that makes no difference

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
It looks to me that the vehicle is 4250 chassis I’ve just upgraded mine you cannot have front axle 2100 on 15inch wheels period.the max you can have on rear is 2240kg. It must have been down plated but you cannot keep axles at same weight.

OP
OP
Mike p
Sep 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
It looks to me that the vehicle is 4250 chassis I’ve just upgraded mine you cannot have front axle 2100 on 15inch wheels period.the max you can have on rear is 2240kg. It must have been down plated but you cannot keep axles at same weight.
Thanks for the info, will check the vin plate today, I guess the handbook is wrong.

Thanks to all for your input. X

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I had our 4250kg Kontiki weighed fully loaded and then used the figures to send to Michelin for tyre pressure advice. The came back and advised 68 fronts and 80 rears. I run at 68 on the fronts but dropped my rears to 70 - feels much better

I spoke with a friend of mine who did the same thing on a 3500kg Motorhome and they came back with 65 front and 80 rears... He reckoned Michelin always quote 80 PSI for rears no matter what van/axle weight

OP
OP
Mike p
Sep 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Ok I have taken info from vin plate.
Front 1850
Rear 2000
So info in book is not correct. Post has been running for awhile and I have forgotten what my original question was.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes it can be tyring trying to remember what you're talking about! :D

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I am between pillar & post on this tyre pressure advice.
Every time the thread is raised its always on tyre pressure advice on Continental Tyres, with most people saying that Continental have advised a lower pressure rating that the suggested pressures listed on The Fiat Plate inside passenger door. Some say the ride is more comfortable and I wont argue that that is the case, but what about Michelin Agilis Tyres? Only one post on them in this thread.
Story:
When we had our dealer handover last year, the guy did a pretty thorough job, but I questioned his advice to pump up the front and back tyres to 79 PSI as he pointed to the Fiat Advisory plate inside the door. I said yea but 79 PSI will too hard, and the ride will be like a boneshaker!. His immediate response was "Not So" they are special camper tyres with reinforced sidewalls, and metal valve stems, they must be run at 79 PSI or they will overheat.
I have kept them at 79 PSI ever since, the only time it feels like a boneshaker is on the M25/20 motorway, but then all vehicles get shaken to bits with those concrete ridges every 10 feet:eek:
Can anyone shed some of their experiences with their Michelin Agilis prefered tyre pressure, we are on 16 inch rims, with 225 R70 tyres.
Thanks
Les

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am between pillar & post on this tyre pressure advice.
Every time the thread is raised its always on tyre pressure advice on Continental Tyres, with most people saying that Continental have advised a lower pressure rating that the suggested pressures listed on The Fiat Plate inside passenger door. Some say the ride is more comfortable and I wont argue that that is the case, but what about Michelin Agilis Tyres? Only one post on them in this thread.
Story:
When we had our dealer handover last year, the guy did a pretty thorough job, but I questioned his advice to pump up the front and back tyres to 79 PSI as he pointed to the Fiat Advisory plate inside the door. I said yea but 79 PSI will too hard, and the ride will be like a boneshaker!. His immediate response was "Not So" they are special camper tyres with reinforced sidewalls, and metal valve stems, they must be run at 79 PSI or they will overheat.
I have kept them at 79 PSI ever since, the only time it feels like a boneshaker is on the M25/20 motorway, but then all vehicles get shaken to bits with those concrete ridges every 10 feet:eek:
Can anyone shed some of their experiences with their Michelin Agilis prefered tyre pressure, we are on 16 inch rims, with 225 R70 tyres.
Thanks
Les
Hi Les

The load rating number varies irrespective of tyre size and it is this number that tells you what maximum load the tyre/Axle can support at any given pressure, I base our tyre pressure on a simple calculation of ratio of actual axle load vs maximum from tyre load index number and use the same as a ratio of maximum tyre pressure, and coincidentally it usually matches and advice from Continental, I would apply the same calculation for Michelin or any other tyre.

Martin

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
For what it's worth.....the tyre "load rating" should be based on actual worst axle load (as measured at weighbridge) + 10% - as recommended by the "so called" tyre experts.

I've adopted this recommendation as it does add an extra factor of safety and peace of mind. So far, haven't had any problems and I do load my rear axle to the limit.

You could of course just use the maximum permissible load as shown on the VIN plate and add 10% to determine the load rating required.

OP
OP
Mike p
Sep 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
For what it's worth.....the tyre "load rating" should be based on actual worst axle load (as measured at weighbridge) + 10% - as recommended by the "so called" tyre experts.

I've adopted this recommendation as it does add an extra factor of safety and peace of mind. So far, haven't had any problems and I do load my rear axle to the limit.

You could of course just use the maximum permissible load as shown on the VIN plate and add 10% to determine the load rating required.
I think that is a good solution I will work on weigh bridge figures + 10% Sorted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’ve had Michelin’s on my last van and the current one and have run rears at 5.5 bar 79psi and front at 4.5 bar 65psi have mostly run pretty much up to max weight 4250kg and 4500 kg towing a car trailer and find that’s about correct, however if not towing I think I would reduce rear pressure a little. But have not found any undue overheating or high rise in pressure when running as monitored by TyrePal system.(y)(y)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Michelin always quote the rear pressure for maximum load hence the 79 psi. I tried dropping my fronts to 58 and rears to 68 didn't make any difference to the ride still a boneshaker. Currently running fronts at 63, rear 75.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back