Awnings (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Howdy all....again
I've been reading through quite a few posts on awnings and decided to hold off on that for the time being. We're booked to go to Devon and Cornwall with a few stops on the way down and up again. Maximum stay will be 4 nights If I remember right. a few one nighter's on the way down and up again to Scotland.
We both feel we would like a bit of extra room, especially if the weather is nice and we are able to sit outside and get a bit of air.....and sunshine :giggler:
The other reason is we will probably have two grandchildren stay over a couple of nights so need the extra room. Our van only has two berth and a small bench seat.
I don't want to go and splash out a lot of cash for something that turns out not to suit our needs and don't want to make a mistake and have the hassle and cost of selling it on.
We have a four man tent which I'm sure the boys would love to sleep in but from reading through the posts there are some sites that don't allow tents? or tents on same pitch as MH?
From reading through the posts I see there is a pop up thing called Quest 4 or something and that may be a solution until we've used the van for a bit. I read that they are classed as an awning? I thought maybe we could put a couple of pump up beds in there and maybe do the cooking in it?

your help appreciated oh wise ones

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Ummm, it would be easier to say
‘It’s only a two berth sorry’ 🤣
Camping takes a lot of gear to be warm and comfortable, can your van carry this extra weight?
Have you got a end lounge that converts to a bed that you could all make do with for couple nights?
Sorry to put dampers on it but when we take our grandson, which we love to do, we all slept on massive end lounge bed but now we’ve got Benimar 4 berth so much easier
Good luck 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Ummm, it would be easier to say
‘It’s only a two berth sorry’ 🤣
Camping takes a lot of gear to be warm and comfortable, can your van carry this extra weight?
Have you got a end lounge that converts to a bed that you could all make do with for couple nights?
Sorry to put dampers on it but when we take our grandson, which we love to do, we all slept on massive end lounge bed but now we’ve got Benimar 4 berth so much easier
Good luck 👍
Ermmmm, don't get it; two berth, I'm a bit slow sometimes:giggle:....yes I do go on a bit at times but determined to share my life story with everyone on here.....
The van's a hymer with two berth. No end lounge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Your profile doesn't give an indication of your van type. Do you have a wind out awning/ blind fitted already, and is it a dayroom type affair you are looking for.
We have used the windblockers awning for both our vans and they are fantastic. Fitted in minutes. Weigh nothing. Take up no space, and slide onto the existing wind out Fiamma awning bar.
Take a look at their website www.windblockers.net
Good luck

Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We used to have a camper van and when the kids came with us we just took a 3 man kyham quick erect tent and couple of sleeping bags. Van was able to seat 4 but not sleep 4.
Pop up gazebo/quest 4 would also work IMO.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We both feel we would like a bit of extra room, especially if the weather is nice and we are able to sit outside and get a bit of air.....and sunshine
Sound like you are ex tuggers and used to an awning, feels a bit odd at first but you soon get used to it. Not worth struggling with an awning for a few days.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Some sites don’t allow a pop up.

An awning takes less than an hour and is so useful. Agree that less than three nights it may not be worth it.

We use one a lot for cooking and extra space/weather protection.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Your profile doesn't give an indication of your van type. Do you have a wind out awning/ blind fitted already, and is it a dayroom type affair you are looking for.
We have used the windblockers awning for both our vans and they are fantastic. Fitted in minutes. Weigh nothing. Take up no space, and slide onto the existing wind out Fiamma awning bar.
Take a look at their website www.windblockers.net
Good luck
It's a hymer 568. No wind out awning or blind fitted. I'll have a look at the wind blockers but would need something with a roof/cover. I thought the quest pop up would be a good solution for now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We used to have a camper van and when the kids came with us we just took a 3 man kyham quick erect tent and couple of sleeping bags. Van was able to seat 4 but not sleep 4.
Pop up gazebo/quest 4 would also work IMO.
Not sure if our 4 man tent would be allowed on same pitch as the MH tho?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Sound like you are ex tuggers and used to an awning, feels a bit odd at first but you soon get used to it. Not worth struggling with an awning for a few days.
No, complete newbies. Only done a wet and cold weekend so far since getting the van in September last year. Hence the reason not to go and splash out on an expensive awning just yet. If and when I do I would rather pay for a good one at that time but don't want to rush into it

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I would try with the 4 person tent first. Most campsites are okay with a tent on the pitch as well but may have to pay extra. How old are the kid's? Good sleeping bags and mattress and they will be fine.

Upvote 0

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
Some drive away awnings can accomodate an inner tent for sleeping in. You dont necessaraly need a wind out awning to attach to the van, as they usually have long straps to throw over van roof to pegout and hold taught. We have an inflatable drive away awning for longer stays that can be pegged out and freestanding , but it is heavy and very big when packed away. So not the best. There are many types on themarket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I would try with the 4 person tent first. Most campsites are okay with a tent on the pitch as well but may have to pay extra. How old are the kid's? Good sleeping bags and mattress and they will be fine.
7 and 6 yr old boys. Good to know about the tent thanks. I'll have to contact all the site we'll be using for that part of our trip. It's the Strangers Inn in Essex near to Colchester. I think we'll be the ones in the tent and the boys in the van ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Some drive away awnings can accomodate an inner tent for sleeping in. You dont necessaraly need a wind out awning to attach to the van, as they usually have long straps to throw over van roof to pegout and hold taught. We have an inflatable drive away awning for longer stays that can be pegged out and freestanding , but it is heavy and very big when packed away. So not the best. There are many types on themarket.
Thanks for info. The tent we have is fairly big too when packed so having that and an awning in the garage would be quite a bit of weight. I think I'll contact the owner of the site and ask if we can pitch the tent on or near the MH and pay the extra if need be

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ours only sleeps 2, but has 3 extra seats. Kids stay in small pup tents. We also have a wind out awning, which is great for sitting outside. We have sides, but haven't actually used them. We had in mind they'd be useful for some events we go to, but probably wouldn't use for holidays. You won't get a massive family size tent on as a pup tent. Two small hike tents is usually OK, but you need to check, and usually pay extra.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Ours only sleeps 2, but has 3 extra seats. Kids stay in small pup tents. We also have a wind out awning, which is great for sitting outside. We have sides, but haven't actually used them. We had in mind they'd be useful for some events we go to, but probably wouldn't use for holidays. You won't get a massive family size tent on as a pup tent. Two small hike tents is usually OK, but you need to check, and usually pay extra.
Yes cheers. haven't heard of 'pup' tents before. It's only one stop on our trip so I'll contact the site owner and pay the extra for the tent if need be. He sounded reasonable when I called last year to book. he wasn't taking deposits because of covid so I better call to confirm our booking anyhow

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes cheers. haven't heard of 'pup' tents before. It's only one stop on our trip so I'll contact the site owner and pay the extra for the tent if need be. He sounded reasonable when I called last year to book. he wasn't taking deposits because of covid so I better call to confirm our booking anyhow
To count as a pup tent, it normally needs to be small to avoid any misunderstandings. It would be pitched right next to your unit where the awning normally goes (unless the pitches are massive, or its an empty field with loads of space).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
To count as a pup tent, it normally needs to be small to avoid any misunderstandings. It would be pitched right next to your unit where the awning normally goes (unless the pitches are massive, or its an empty field with loads of space).
Thank you for info

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back