Awning Time (1 Viewer)

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi all, hope your all ok. I'm nearing the end of the self build (I'm deluded) and it's time to think about the awning. I don't particularly want one on the van. Mainly due to the weight and price. I remember last October I spoke to the DVLA and they said the van had to have an awning rail. Those of you that have applied for reclassification of your vans have you had success with only an awning rail or is it a straight refusal if you don't have an awning fitted.

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Yes Off da Grid and I have complied to all off them so far, I have 2 windows on the same side, will have graphics on my van and all the internal must haves. I really didn’t consider an awning as our van is for travelling and don’t intend to stay put anywhere. I’m not saying I would never use one, but I don’t see me using it that often. I hope there are members out there who have been successful in getting a classification change with only the awning rail. Thanks for replying.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
When you look at the form they ask you to complete it states "a combination of" permanent external features amongst which is listed the awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle.

First an awning on both sides would probably be silly, unless you have doors from the living accommodation on both sides of the van (and who has space for that).

But the key must be "combination". Many converter vans won't have awnings or rails as standard. I think what the DVLA are trying to say is that externally the van must readily appear as a motor caravan - i.e not a builder's transit van offering stealth accommodation , but something that from a couple of hundred yards away would be readily identified by someone as that motorhome. You don't need an awning rail to do that. It's the windows, stickers, apparent access that is going to be the key, in my opinion.

But trouble is you will be dealing with data entry admin types who have no ability to offer discretion who won't be able to tick that box on their "computer says no".

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Your correct, if the reader has had a great weekend and is feeling on top of the world you have a good chance of success. If they have had a hellish weekend then it’s good night Irene.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Be prepared to wait for reclassification, my application is now 8 weeks since I sent the pack to them and you cannot speak to anyone to find out where they are up to with it.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

Check out the awning on a van in this thread. It doesn’t take up much room but will have an awning rail fitted and will comply.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Just a rail or an all singing and dancing full awning wont make all that much difference , they are very "van with windows" frame of mind it would seem atm . There have been many instances of self builds on other forums that are ultra compliant in every factor being not awarded "motorcaravan " on V5 as pp seems a good day /bad day situation HTSH

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Otter Spotter, heck of a long time to wait. Hope you get it back soon. Sundowners, that’s a great idea, I’m going to see if I can buy one. Thanks both.

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
They use the term Awning bar which nobody uses. I'm pretty sure they are referring to the awning box and fold out however I fitted "an awning bar" as it could be interpreted, for a drive away awning. it's 3.7m long and what I think will be more useful to my family and I. It also ticked a box for 30 quid!

My submission was sent away last week so will let you know what they say.

I also already put glass rather than caravan style windows in my build before the changes however 1 unit is 2 panels with 1 opening and 1 fixed window so chancing my arm there too!

The joys of rules being made up by morons with no knowledge of the subject!

awning bar light.jpg

double window.jpg

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Be prepared to wait for reclassification, my application is now 8 weeks since I sent the pack to them and you cannot speak to anyone to find out where they are up to with it.
Only 8 weeks we are into week 10 of waiting for the DVLA to get back re the reclassification! cant tax it either !

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
That burst my bubble! I was thinking 2 weeks or so and hopefully have the van reclassified for things opening up in July.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
DVLA have not been processing any paper applications for anything that has came in over lockdown. Only applications over the internet that need no human input are being processed. That is why you all have been waiting so long. And even if you put it in as soon as they get back to work, there will be a long backlog they will need to get through before they start on yours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Seems logical but an anxious time for people that have been waiting for some weeks.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Mine took 6-7 weeks last year before mid December. I have complied with all aspects described by dvla to reclassify, but it came back van with windows.
Suvvi, you don’t stand a chance, their answer will be “ not sufficient daylight and not sufficient changes to the appearance of a motor caravan

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We crossed the Severn bridge before the toll was abolished and the attendant still charged us commercial van rate.
Could have been the works Severn bridge tag I borrowed though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back