Awning Question re vents etc. (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I bought/ordered an awning today.

The Kampa Rally 330 Air Pro. Should be here by Monday hopefully.

Heres a google search photo if your unfamiliar.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 21.36.02.png

On watching a pitching video of it online it got me thinking about vents.

On my Motorhome I have the Truma exhaust towards the front and then the fridge vents towards the rear.
I was assuming these don't want to be covered up? But with it been 3.3 meters wide ill have to cover either or I think? Is this normal? It looks like the fridge ones are in the awning area from that stock photo and even on Kampa's website the same so I am assuming to fit it more rearwards. That would then probably still eat half into the more forward window though which bulge outwards as they tend to do so it wont have a flat surface to lay against creating slight air gaps.

I dont imagine id get an airtight fit on anything tent wise but I was hoping for as good as possible design wise. But then with the fridge vents inside the awning area I guess thats a good thing. Obviously when on EHU they should not be any issue.

Do you think any of this would be an issue health wise?

My van photo showing the vents.

IMG_2617.jpg

I also at a later date want to get this for it. We have my wife's sister staying with us for a country show later in the year and it would give her a nice private bedroom. Looking at it on the picture it seems to be stepped off the van a bit so the Truma vent will clear it and won't be an issue I think but that still leaves the fridge vents again. They are a good distance from the sleeping part and again if on EHU I guess not an issue but if we did have to run on gas would this work or is it a bit dodgy. Any better ideas? Am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 21.41.30.png

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well the air pros were a bit notorious for not fitting against the side of the van too well. Apparently that's sorted now. Our vents and truma exhaust are in ours when it's up. No issues at all unless cold then you can get condensation. We do sometimes put an oil filled rad out there.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Make sure your fridge and boiler are tested annually and personally I wouldn't sleep in an awning with the exhaust fumes from a boiler and gas fridge directly venting into. I would also make sure there is ventilation and use a CO detector If the awning is to be used closed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Changing subject slightly but is your awning attached to your awning rail or have you thrown ties over top?
Can you open your door ok?
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Changing subject slightly but is your awning attached to your awning rail or have you thrown ties over top?
Can you open your door ok?
Thanks
It's going to be attached to an awning rail. I assume the door will open ok. It's all getting fitting in a couple of weeks as no rail currently

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I had a full length awning on my last caravan, which covered all the nearside vents and was never an issue as the awning was far from being airtight.

I prefer the flexibility of 'drive away' awnings for the motorhome, which can still cover vents, but the connection is not directly in to the awning and is very well ventilated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I did look for a while at the drive away ones and very nearly bought a Vango a few times. The thing that kept holding me back was the tunnel. I like the direct door to the awning so it does not feel like a totally separate room. images of cooking in the kitchen and passing food & drinks straight into the awning to sit and eat/entertain are in my mind. The tunnel would create a barrier to that direct feel.

It's 3.3m width and I have paid for 4 meters of rail so I guess I can leave the extra on so I can jig left or right a bit to get the better fit and avoid the Truma vent at least.

We lose the drive away which is a shame but sure I could always just lightly collapse it and reattach again if I wanted to. It's all pegged down so not going anywhere. Will see.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just one thing that hasn't been covered is that if the awning is on the sunny side and covers the fridge vents, as the awning heats up during the day it will make the fridge work a lot harder, so if you can leave them uncovered by the awning it would be better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Whatever you do with a tent or an awning - they are never never going to be sealed sufficiently to allow anyone to get carbon monoxide poisoning - unless you are so stupid you situate your newborn baby right by the vents!

When was the last time you ever heard of anyone in a caravan awning being laid low with this ? - I've never heard of a single one myself.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back