Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting thread. I've just taken delivery of a brand new Avtex 8 Series 16" TV, and on testing it tonight have had no luck either auto or manual tuning in to anything from channels 21 to 61 UK. When I go into setup it's not showing signal strength for any channel - nothing.

It's connected to a small satellite dish I have on my conservatory, which works fine with a 12v Ross satellite tuner linked to my computer, so it's nothing to do with the aerial connection. I'm changing the aerial lead from the Avtex to the Ross and am getting loads of channels on the Ross, nothing on the Avtex.

Is it possible that dish size matters with Avtex? I'm thinking a return may be in order.
It sounds as though you're scanning terrestrial channels while connected to a satellite dish. Either connect a terrestrial aerial or scan the satellite channels (having selected an appropriate satellite).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It sounds as though you're scanning terrestrial channels while connected to a satellite dish. Either connect a terrestrial aerial or scan the satellite channels (having selected an appropriate satellite).

BINGO! Thanks very much. The problem is that on first setup the TV defaults to terrestrial DTV as its source, not Satellite TV. It wanted me to go through DTV set up when I first switched it on.

The first button on the remote I needed to press was SOURCE and select Satellite TV. Could this be the problem @Golygfor has?

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Update after having Moho back from dealer: we ordered a new control box for the snipe direct from Avtex and had it fitted whilst Moho was with dealer sorting fridge. Had it back and the blue light for gps still isn't lit and not working. Man from Avtex said it should be on when we rang. Dealer said it was working?!? Can anyone confirm the blue light should always be lit? Aarrhhhhh.....
In principle, blue light for GPS will only be on when the unit is turned on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Hi, silly question but I suppose you do have a clear line of site to the satellite? When I installed my Snipe and Avtex, it would not work. Moved the M/H back up the drive and it worked straight away. Seemed where I was parked the roof of the house was just blocking the signal but that was not obvious standing on the ground.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just looked at ours and just so long as the dish is in position and the power is on then blue light is on continuous
Are you sure your Avtec tv is tuned to the right satellite as ours is a little tinker for chaning back to which ever seems to take its fancy

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
Interesting thread. I've just taken delivery of a brand new Avtex 8 Series 16" TV, and on testing it tonight have had no luck either auto or manual tuning in to anything from channels 21 to 61 UK. When I go into setup it's not showing signal strength for any channel - nothing.

It's connected to a small satellite dish I have on my conservatory, which works fine with a 12v Ross satellite tuner linked to my computer, so it's nothing to do with the aerial connection. I'm changing the aerial lead from the Avtex to the Ross and am getting loads of channels on the Ross, nothing on the Avtex.

Is it possible that dish size matters with Avtex? I'm thinking a return may be in order.
can i just ask here, your saying its connected to a satellite dish, but the search your describing is digital tv, not satellite, you have 2 decoders on your avtex tv, you tune them separately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
[QUOTE="Golygfor, post: 2058140, member: 45381"

When we sort this prob, As we have 2 TV points, can we watch both simultaneously? Obviously not gonna buy 2 avtexs at the mo. Would it be worth fitting an Ariel too? Is that an expensive job?
[/QUOTE]
We do something similar to that, (though you need two 'screens' to watch it in two separate places, which we don't have) though we do have a twin tuner sat dish. We left the stand on the TV for when we view in the lounge area and have it mounted on a quick release swivel wall bracket for the bedroom. Easy to move from area to the other. I had to change the existing sockets to ones with sat f connections. After a bit of testing, I found it easier to leave a sat cable connected to the sockets and just attach the TV to the in situ wires.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back