Austria area suggestions please! (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
I’m putting a trip together, 17 days around May day, from Rotterdam in the general direction of Austria.
This is our first trip east of the Rhine and having limited time to wander I’d like to ask the Fun community for ideas of best stop points…
Obviously will go via Germany, probably touring in one direction and going relatively non-stop the other.
Would there be enough variety in S Germany not to bother going further?
Switzerland seems too perfect and expensive. Is Czech too far/ too hard?

For Context:
  • Normally we are perfectly happy to use Stelplatz / Aires / or wild (I know not allowed in Austria), or prefer minimal farm sites to busy “resort style” enterprises.
  • We have a small Ducato campervan, and I’m pretty fearless getting it places,
    but we don’t have bikes, scooter or toad, so I need to get near the destination. Only 5.4m long so car parks without height barriers are OK.
  • Jan has had a hip replacement and whilst we’re good for c6mile walks, much after that will be painful (for both or us ;-) )
  • Our German language skills are negligible.
What suggestions for van-friendly locations are there? especially
  • with access to modest mountain activities /walks / views, either from the van, or via public transport (inc cable car etc). High pastures and views would be nice.
  • Cultural locations: Best cities/towns/ castles/museums/galleries that also fit this transport remit?
  • How busy or pre-booked will it be?
    Are there some areas that will be too popular to want to bother with?
also: having a reasonably presented but DIY van, are we going to be asked for certificates for Conformance / gas / habitation etc.? We have none!

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Have a look on the Fiss/Serfaus/Ladis website, absolutely stunning all year round, my favourite in Austria since Childhood, from there hop over the border towards Merano, then onwards to northern part of lake Garda, then a tour around the other Italian lakes👍

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We are hopefully going to Carinthia in May for about 7 weeks.
There is a Carinthia card worth looking up online that allows you to do many things free (cable cars etc)
However if you go to Millstat for example, they give you a Millstat card free for the length of your stay at the campsite. (Or they did last time we were there) because you may have to pay for some beaches around the lakes.
Austria was surprisingly cheap (cheaper than Germany) last time we were there.
Check out the Glossglockner pass for 35 eurosish if passing to southern Austria and allow at least half a day to do it.
If mayday is at the start of may then lake swimming may not be your thing. Monitor southern Alps temperatures to see when the lakes are warm enough.
Different regions do different passes so Millstat pass didn't cover the road to where Julie Andrews was singing even though very close.
Ensure you know about what you need for their motorway system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I ve also created a map of all the free places you can go to with a Carinthia card.
Also got the summer luges on there and wild swimming spots.
If you have a Gmail account I can let you have a read only copy.
It is an interactive map as when you click an icon it takes you to the Google link or a link I have created to see what it is.
I m in Spain ATM so may not be able to share til I get back but I might be able to work it out on a phone.
Pm me if interested
Screenshot_2024-03-13-08-08-29-63_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
If you fancy a visit to Salzburg this is a lovely site.
Park where you want, plenty of room, small shop and restaurant on site and a lovely lady owner.
She will give you free bus tickets and the stop it less than 10 min from site.

OP
OP
B
Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
Thank you for all your suggestions, these certainly make me want to get over to the Italian side rather than just dipping in from Germany.
suavecarve: PM sent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back