AT Mohawk Side Storage Water Ingress (1 Viewer)

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Hi Folks, looking for some information on a water ingress issue, 2010 Autotrail Mohawk.

The problem is located along the offside under bench seating along the body edge. On the outside the van has a 1.8m storage bay door that lifts up on hinges and there is a small rain gutter running along the underside of the door when closed.

We've been drying out the panel with a heater and dehumidifier but I am struggling to find a possible source of the water. I've had the screws out of the gutter and they are clean. I've looked up the front corner pillar on the outside the the vertical timbers look clean as well as the various cables. The only area in question in that upright body part appears to be some expanding foam facing forward toward the front. It looks sound from what I can see, without taking the rounded upright off behind the drivers door. I've put a small bead of silicon on along the rain gutter as we cannot get it into an NCC place in Stourbridge until the 8th of June.

The water system is drained and I can see no signs of damp or water on the inside of the van, on the ceiling or walls. All round the windows is dry and clean also.

The damage is forward of the TV antenna and solar panel inputs also and on the roof there are no drainage points on those front corners. If it was something on the roof, I'm sure I would see some signs of water higher up, but this is the base of the van along a metal strap that is bolted through the body. I wonder if there is a rubber gasket along that bracket that has gone flaky?

Unfortunately I had to drive last Friday 21st May and the standing water on the M42 was horrendous, so that cannot have done me any favours. I am now refusing to drive in the rain (such a diva!).

Any CSI types out there who may have seen this, please get in touch. Thanks.

IMG_2086.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    521.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 65
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If its worse at the front where the arrows pointing it could be the join between the Fiat cab and the AT bodyšŸ™

656FE362-391E-458F-BDC9-F583B67FF706.jpeg

Which unfortunately is hidden behind the capping šŸ˜ 

B5AD8C82-9DAB-4F0D-BB9E-E51F42C42126.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
davida71uk

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Hi rb62 yes, I would agree but I cannot get into that area without taking that fairing panel off (even if I knew how to). That area is where I can see the foam, well, it looks like foam anyway. I guess I will have to just keep drying it and not drive it when the motorways are like lakes until I can get it into a body shop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davida71uk

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
I think I can see where the road spray might be coming in. I took the plastic trim off behind the drivers seat belt and I can see into the cab frame. Looking through one of the holes I can see daylights and my flashlight from underneath. So the van goes nowhere unless it's bone dry on the roads and 24 degrees... a motorhome is really not much use in the UK is it? :think:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it's behind the lift up locker door (possibly housing the battery and EHU connection) there are two areas you need to look at first before removing any panels.
Water can get in at the front of the locker door and trickle down onto timber framing \ boards that form the exterior of the area highlighted by rb62 . When everything is externally dry try playing a garden hose with sprinkler on it and check if it's wet underneath in front of the locker door.
The other is, if you've got one, the joint between the luton and the vertical body panel shown in rb62 photo. Check to see if the sealant needs replacing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back