ASR button on Fiat Ducato engines (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I would be interested in knowing whether Fiat engined funsters drive with their ASR buttons - if fitted - permanently switched on or only when on “dodgy” surfaces such as sodden grass, mud etc.
Also if on good surfaces but on hilly terrain would the ASR button be permanently engaged to cope with climbs and descents.
Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Taken from my Fiat handbook.
ASR(AntiSlipRegulation)SYSTEM It is an integral part of the ESC system.It automatically operates in the event of one or both drive wheels slipping, loss of grip on wet roads(aquaplaning)and acceleration on slippery ,snowy or icy roads,etc.Depending on the slipping conditions, two different control systems are activated:if the slipping involves both drive wheels, the ASR intervenes reducing the power transmitted by the engine; if the slipping only involves one of the drive wheels,it intervenes automatically braking the wheel that is slipping.61)Engagement/disengagement of the ASRsystemTheASRisswitchedonautomaticallyeachtimetheengineisstarted.Whiledriving,the ASR can be switched off and subsequently switched on again by pressing the ASR OFF button(A fig. 101).62) On some versions, the intervention of the system is indicated by a message shown on the display

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our van is having its first MOT this month, so 3 years old - haven't had occasion to use the ASR system yet, but reassuring - to some extent - to know it's available. :)

Deleted User
Our van is having its first MOT this month, so 3 years old - haven't had occasion to use the ASR system yet, but reassuring - to some extent - to know it's available. :)

That quote from the handbook seems to indicate to me that the ASR system is automatically on and operating the switch de activates it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On the X250 the ASR is on by default, pressing the switch turns it off.
On the X290 with Traction Plus it is permantly on, can not be turned off, the switch activates Traction Plus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That quote from the handbook seems to indicate to me that the ASR system is automatically on and operating the switch de activates it.
Oops, clearly not engaged brain before replying - apologies.

And thanks to Lenny too, for his clarification - I've got Traction+ on our X290. Not used it in anger though...

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I have no idea what model I have. Our mh is on a 3.0 litre, 160 hp, registered in 2011.
I have experienced a considerable number of wheel spins when the road is even slightly steep. In view of that, I would assume that my ASR is not automatically on and may require me to actively engage it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have no idea what model I have. Our mh is on a 3.0 litre, 160 hp, registered in 2011.
I have experienced a considerable number of wheel spins when the road is even slightly steep. In view of that, I would assume that my ASR is not automatically on and may require me to actively engage it.
It can't completely prevent wheelspin. It works by braking the spinning wheel using the ABS. If it stopped the spin entirely the other wheel would would do the same & drive would continually swap from one wheel to the other. It can only reduce the spin by pulsing the brake. If both wheels spin it can't help at all.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I would be interested in knowing whether Fiat engined funsters drive with their ASR buttons - if fitted - permanently switched on or only when on “dodgy” surfaces such as sodden grass, mud etc.
Also if on good surfaces but on hilly terrain would the ASR button be permanently engaged to cope with climbs and descents.
Thanks.
Additional to the handbook extract below, I read on a Fiat forum that the ASR should only be disengaged (light showing on the switch) when driving on snow with chains, at which time some slippage helps achieve grip for starting to move off.
Not sure why having it off should help but that's what it says.
Otherwise, it says, leave it to work automatically & be thankful. 🙂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Additional to the handbook extract below, I read on a Fiat forum that the ASR should only be disengaged (light showing on the switch) when driving on snow with chains, at which time some slippage helps achieve grip for starting to move off.
Not sure why having it off should help but that's what it says.
Otherwise, it says, leave it to work automatically & be thankful. 🙂
Not possible to turn off on an X290 with Traction Plus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you're on a muddy field and you've got the Traction+ button, turn it on before you attempt to move. It'll reduce the chances of you digging yourself a ditch. If you try without first and dig yourself in, it probably won't get you out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back