Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
I have traveled many times to the Dordogne, Sarlat la Caneda, but not really found a route that I would call appropriate. Let me explain, I don’t like to do the 500Ks in one hit, so I like to find a perfect stop half way where I might rest up for 2nights. The peage has the Aires, but not the ideal resting place, the route through Rouen, is twist and turns and avoiding the city centre is a must. So the ultimate question is, what is the best route and the best halfway stop?
Options open, many thanks TrevChrizy

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the way to negotiate Rouen is to use the route parallel to the river by turning south before crossing the river down the D6015

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
the way to negotiate Rouen is to use the route parallel to the river by turning south before crossing the river down the D6015
I have I believe been this way, if it’s avoiding Rouen, travelling through some industrial area at one point? is there a site you know and recommend as a half way stop? Cheers TrevChrizy

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have I believe been this way, if it’s avoiding Rouen, travelling through some industrial area at one point? is there a site you know and recommend as a half way stop? Cheers TrevChrizy
yes industrial area , try looking at the campsite in Blere, food and fuel in the town. if you want an aire there are several along the D976

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the way to negotiate Rouen is to use the route parallel to the river by turning south before crossi ng the river down the D6015
We always used to go that way but now find it much better to cross the river on the N338 (continuation of A150)
Then back across the river on the A13 (all free), then the D321 across to the D6015.
1614098019332.png

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We always used to go that way but now find it much better to cross the river on the N338 (continuation of A150)
Then back across the river on the A13 (all free), then the D321 across to the D6015.
View attachment 468403
aha, i have used part of that route but i tend to use the motorway more so would enter Rouen via the tunnel

that is the motorway tunnel N28

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
After a years absence, Rouen is back on the Menu. Yippee!!!

And I mean the above in a good way, (every day is a learning day after the Brit. couple recently tried to convert their Luton Van to a Convertible at Rouen). ("A New Life in the Sun")

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I prefer non toll roads. A favourite stopover is just north of Saumur at Alonnes:

Camping Le Pô Doré​

In the Acsi book although strangely omitted in the POI dataset in my Garmin. Run by very nice French people. Very good onsite restaurant / takeaway so I don't need to cook. Steak and chips, yum.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The aire at Grez Neuville north of Angers is one of our favourites. Basic stopover but a couple of restaurants in the village and a baguette machine 1 min walk from the aire. Lovely walks down the Mayenne river.

OP
OP
TrevChrizy

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
I have had only 2 weeks holiday in the past and getting to our favoured location was our main aim, but at a leisurely pace I must add, so a combination of routes was always considered, part of which was the peage’s and aires, just to hurry up past some of the longer routes, but as I retire a more leisurely route with more stops maybe in order, at the moment a near/distant plan, as we need to see what the restrictions on our dogs, don’t mention the B or C word, been such a while since we came back on our last trip in France, unfortunately we do like to travel (not staying in one place for too long) UK is not favoured to the M/Homer except maybe in Scotland, traffic really spoils the journey, but admit been to some great campsites, although pricey 😂 anyways thanks for all the locations, routes and campsites, I will be chasing them up, in mind rather than the M/H for now👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back