Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi all,
I am currently looking at a 2014 Arto 88 3l as part of my first MH search. Any advice or comments on this model would be appreciated....
or even an opinion on price as well!
From the (limited) search I can do on the internet N&B and Frankia Platin seem to match best what I think I want!

I am planning a trip to Germany to view some as soon as travel restrictions allow ...

Thanks , Kilroy

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Apologies of this message is in the wrong forum, or not clear!
I'll re-post in my original thread "Motorhome Search"!

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Damn! I need an eye test!!...Arto 83!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well 83 or 88 either way Arto is a quality van, wether it is right for you is a very personal thing, you do right looking for a 3 litre one.

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks for that.
Yes it seems to tick most of my boxes at this stage...good to know about the engine size..its a big enough unit to move around so I did wonder.
Is it advisable to have air suspension & "ferry lift" on the rear of this model..? ..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for that.
Yes it seems to tick most of my boxes at this stage...good to know about the engine size..its a big enough unit to move around so I did wonder.
Is it advisable to have air suspension & "ferry lift" on the rear of this model..? ..
Full air suspension improves the ride I believe but you can save up and have it fitted ;) later.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We had 2009 Arto 3litre engine 160 bhp pulled us up the pyrenees without a flicker it was very responsive sadly no longer made I believe.Good luck in your quest (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for that.

We ve just changed from a 2010 74R which we had for 9 years and over 70k, brilliant machine and a very nice drive but I had always wanted a Clou liner on the MAN chassis.

The 3 litre was a much better engine than the 2.3, beware the later 180hps were a 2.3 belt driven engine.

Arto's have usually got reasonable ground clearance at the back so would only expect an issue with an 83 on Moroccan ferries and possibly the odd scottish one. We had the VB full air on ours at £6k for a 4 wheeler. Its not cheap and AFAIK you can add another £1500 for a 6 wheeler so as Martin says maybe try it first.

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks for all the feedback there guys...it is very useful info as I feel my way slowly from total ignorance towards possibly spending a frightening amount of money on something little understood..!

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
We ve just changed from a 2010 74R which we had for 9 years and over 70k, brilliant machine and a very nice drive but I had always wanted a Clou liner on the MAN chassis.

The 3 litre was a much better engine than the 2.3, beware the later 180hps were a 2.3 belt driven engine.

Arto's have usually got reasonable ground clearance at the back so would only expect an issue with an 83 on Moroccan ferries and possibly the odd scottish one. We had the VB full air on ours at £6k for a 4 wheeler. Its not cheap and AFAIK you can add another £1500 for a 6 wheeler so as Martin says maybe try it first.
Thanks for that information on the ground clearance, it has been worrying me a bit.
I hauled a bit of contracting machinery around the country on long trailers with low ground clearance....I think the sound of grounding out is indelibly stamped on my nervous system!! All grand with a heavy duty trailer chassis, but I am dreading the thought of leaving a back panel of a lovely motorhome on the ground behind me!...hence the question.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that information on the ground clearance, it has been worrying me a bit.
I hauled a bit of contracting machinery around the country on long trailers with low ground clearance....I think the sound of grounding out is indelibly stamped on my nervous system!! All grand with a heavy duty trailer chassis, but I am dreading the thought of leaving a back panel of a lovely motorhome on the ground behind me!...hence the question.

Our Arto 69 already had a towbar fitted and I have left it on as an early warning system which takes the grounding.

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

You can ground them but not as easily as some others, the long Burstners are pretty bad. The rear cross member is the first thing to make contact not the back skirt.

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
That is good to know Johngood....I haven't been able to get up close enough to know that......being based in RI, I'm not sure I've ever seen an N&B here, certainly not in any dealers, and with the current travel restrictions it is difficult. I am hoping for the best that a trip to Germany may be possible in the next weeks

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
You can ground them but not as easily as some others, the long Burstners are pretty bad. The rear cross member is the first thing to make contact not the back skirt.
I meant to quote you in my reply above .....I also wondered if the tandem or single axel models make any significant different difference to grounding...?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back